PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Chainlock?

poolio
2018-02-28, 01:35 AM
Greetings, so I think i have an easy question for all the veteran dice rollers here, but i just can't come up with a good idea, anyway, what would you recommend as a familiar for a celestial chainlock?

Naanomi
2018-02-28, 01:37 AM
I would use a Sprite and call it a tiny angelic being... a Coure Eladrin if you are a fan of older edition fluff perhaps

Blacky the Blackball
2018-02-28, 03:59 AM
I would use a Sprite and call it a tiny angelic being... a Coure Eladrin if you are a fan of older edition fluff perhaps

I have a celestial patron pact of the chain warlock in my campaign, and that's what we're using. She has a "cherub" that uses the stats of a sprite.

Sidson
2018-02-28, 04:39 AM
My player uses Imp. Chubby Flying Baby whose nails carry poison ;)

As a subquestion: do you change the type of damage for familiars? As nearly all of them are somewhat connected to poison, which is not associated with Celestials.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-02-28, 05:27 AM
As a subquestion: do you change the type of damage for familiars? As nearly all of them are somewhat connected to poison, which is not associated with Celestials.

I didn't change any of the rules for the sprite. Since the common perception of cherubs is that they are armed with miniature bows, but you'd expect them to be doing non-lethal damage rather than killing people, the bow and sleep arrows of the sprite seemed to fit well without needing to be modified.

Morollan
2018-02-28, 06:21 AM
I was looking at this the other day for my Divine Soul Sorceror/Celestial Warlock and, if your DM is cool with it, there are some homebrew 5e conversions of Courre Eladrin and Lantern Archons that would seem perfect for Celestial Warlock familiars.

Naanomi
2018-02-28, 08:32 AM
Undying patron lacks something that is a very natural fit without refluff as well

Vogie
2018-02-28, 08:39 AM
I would say you could refluff a Sprite to function as a Lantern Archon or Will o' the Wisp

Joe the Rat
2018-02-28, 09:58 AM
Undying would do well with a crawling claw or will o' wisp (which are undead in D&D)... or a zombie/skeletal animal familiar. Just because you can get one of the suped up badass familiars doesn't mean you have to.

The same may go for a celestial. Get yourself a nice low CR raptor. (the bird, nto the dinosaur)

rbstr
2018-02-28, 10:06 AM
A Pseudodragon is also a decent pick.

Could be a mini-Couatl

Rebonack
2018-02-28, 12:03 PM
I ran a celestial chainlock.

Gave her a celestial imp. Described it as a tiny cherubim. Not the tiny flying baby (a puti). One of those things with too many wings and eyes.

poolio
2018-02-28, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone, i was already leaning toward using a refluffed sprite myself, but like some others here the poison seemed kinda off to me, what if instead of poisoning the target for a minute on a failed save, it would charm the target?

Thoughts?

Vogie
2018-02-28, 01:21 PM
Since the Poisoned condition is just "having disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks", you could just change the name to "astonished", "befuddled", or "confused"

RedMage125
2018-02-28, 11:00 PM
A Pseudodragon is also a decent pick.

Could be a mini-Couatl

While I am also a big fan of the refluffed Sprite options presented, this is great.

Pseudocouatl.

Lol.