PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom to UMD

Yogibear41
2018-02-28, 03:13 AM
Is there anyway to add your wisdom bonus to UMD checks? No luck on the X stat to Y bonus, but I thought I remember something about using a different stat that charisma for UMD, although it might have been Int that I'm thinking of.

TheFamilarRaven
2018-02-28, 05:33 AM
You're perhaps remembering the trait Pragmatic Activator. Thats the one that lets you use INT instead of CHA for UMD. Although I'm not aware of any feat, trait or Class that lets you use WIS.

Edit: Some googling brought up this interesting method. Not really sure if Pragmatic Activator changes UMD to an "intelligence based skill", rather than simply letting you substitute CHA with INT. But if it does, then one way of getting WIS to UMD is to be a Shaman with the Lore spirit and take the Benefit of Wisdom hex, which lets you use WIS instead of INT for all intelligence based skills.

weckar
2018-02-28, 09:17 AM
We in pathfinder then? Because that's a pretty neat trick I hope you can use.

ShurikVch
2018-02-28, 07:04 PM
Shiba Protector or/and Void Disciple are able to use any ability score for anything... at 10th level

If you using Pathfinder, Medium (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/occultAdventures/classes/medium.html) lists Use Magic Device as (Wis)

TheFamilarRaven
2018-02-28, 08:09 PM
Forgive me for assuming pathfinder. It's just when the OP mentioned INT instead of CHA for UMD I immediately thought of the trait from PF.

On another note. I found this FAQ answer.

Alternate Ability Score-Based Checks: If I change the key ability score of a skill (or other check), for example, if I change Knowledge from Intelligence to Charisma, is it no-longer an Intelligence-based check? Is it now a Charisma-based check?

Generally yes—at the time of rolling a check, if you substitute the ability score, the check is now based on the new ability score. In the example, at the time of rolling, Knowledge would now be a Charisma-based skill and not an Intelligence-based skill for you, which would affect things like feats, spells, or items that grant bonuses on checks based on their key ability score (like circlet of persuasion). However, if you are adding a second ability modifier to a check, this is not the case. For instance, when adding both Wisdom and Dexterity on initiative checks, initiative is still a Dexterity check, not a Wisdom check. Also, this changes the check only at the time of rolling, so this does not change static class features or options made during character building such as your class’s class skills. Classes that receive “all Intelligence-based skills” as class skills, for instance, are the victim of sloppy writing, and furthermore sometimes effects might muddy the water by only changing the ability dependency sometimes and not others, which is why you check the new dependency only for a specific given roll.

So by my reading, it goes something like this; At the time you roll UMD, you use Pragmatic Activator to change UMD to an Intelligence based skill. Since it's now an INT based skill, you can use Benefit of Wisdom to change it into a Wisdom based skill.

If you using Pathfinder, Medium (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/occultAdventures/classes/medium.html) lists Use Magic Device as (Wis)

This is arguably a typo, as the Medium provides no justification for this change as one might expect. Not to mention how odd it would be for a Charisma based caster to randomly have to use wisdom for UMD.

Thurbane
2018-02-28, 08:42 PM
Shiba Protector or/and Void Disciple are able to use any ability score for anything... at 10th level

Those are great pick ups! They should definitely be mentioned in the X Stat to Y Bonus threads.

ShurikVch
2018-03-04, 01:11 PM
One more possible way: Skill Attunement feat (Dragon #351) allow - at the cost of one ki point - to add your Wis bonus to all skill checks for a number of rounds = ⅕ of your Ninja level (minimum 1)