PDA

View Full Version : Is an enemy aware of a hexblade curse?

Dualswinger
2018-02-28, 04:47 AM
I doubt there’s a ruling for this, but if there is help would be appreciated.

If a warlock, from a hidden position were to bestow their hexblade curse upon a target, would that target be aware of the curse, and therefore the warlock?

Or could the warlock bestow the curse and maintain stealth?

imanidiot
2018-02-28, 05:48 AM
I doubt there’s a ruling for this, but if there is help would be appreciated.

If a warlock, from a hidden position were to bestow their hexblade curse upon a target, would that target be aware of the curse, and therefore the warlock?

Or could the warlock bestow the curse and maintain stealth?

There is nothing in the spell itself or the rules of spellcasting that explicitly states that someone would be aware that the spell had been cast on them.

Vaz
2018-02-28, 05:56 AM
There is nothing in the spell itself or the rules of spellcasting that explicitly states that someone would be aware that the spell had been cast on them.
Hexblade Curse is not a spell IIRC: however, the targets from the spell effect from page 204:

'Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature might not know it was targeted by a spell at all. An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creature’s thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise'

Glorthindel
2018-02-28, 08:03 AM
I find rulings on this sort of thing tend to be fairly straightforward by turning around who the caster and target is. What would be your players reaction if he was targetted in this way and you said "you've been under the effect for x number of rounds, you just didn't know"? If he is the sort who would be fine with such a thing happening, then I would let it work for him, but if he is the sort who would immediately bitch and moan that he should know he's being effected by something like that, then you have your answer. Whats good for the player is good for the monster, and if the player would never accept a monster pulling such a trick, then he can't either.

Pex
2018-02-28, 08:43 AM
I find rulings on this sort of thing tend to be fairly straightforward by turning around who the caster and target is. What would be your players reaction if he was targetted in this way and you said "you've been under the effect for x number of rounds, you just didn't know"? If he is the sort who would be fine with such a thing happening, then I would let it work for him, but if he is the sort who would immediately bitch and moan that he should know he's being effected by something like that, then you have your answer. Whats good for the player is good for the monster, and if the player would never accept a monster pulling such a trick, then he can't either.

Why assume the player would "bitch and moan"? Is it impossible for you to accept the idea a player could disagree with something happening in the game in a metasense and wants to talk with the DM about it in a rational manner?

Toadkiller
2018-02-28, 11:10 AM
I would tell a player (cursed from hiding) they suddenly and inexplicably felt off. Then apply the mechanical effects but provide no information as to why. Could be poison, etc.

Sigreid
2018-02-28, 11:15 AM
I would tell a player (cursed from hiding) they suddenly and inexplicably felt off. Then apply the mechanical effects but provide no information as to why. Could be poison, etc.

Me as well. Probably go with "You feel a cold chill run down your spine and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck."

strangebloke
2018-02-28, 11:24 AM
My rule of thumb is, if it's impacting the ability of the person targeted, they know about it.

If you're so impeded as to have disadvantage (by hex for instance) then you know that you've been affected. Hexblade's curse doesn't impede you, it just makes the hexblade's abilities work on you. So I wouldn't say you know if you've been affected.

LordEntrails
2018-02-28, 11:37 AM
I rule that thing like curses aren't known about by the target until they make their first die roll. Then it is obvious and known.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-28, 11:39 AM

Ditto. You know something is wrong but may not know what.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-28, 01:35 PM
I would have them roll a DC 15 perception check, if they passed I would tell them something felt off, along with a slight hint depending on which of their stats was given disadvantage.

Pex
2018-02-28, 02:04 PM
Even if a creature is aware it's been affected by something, the hexblade curse in this case, it doesn't necessarily know the source.