PDA

View Full Version : Favored Enemies for a Slayer?

danielxcutter
2018-02-28, 05:11 AM
I'd like some ideas which one to choose, since I'm not terribly good at this kind of thing.

Gnaeus
2018-02-28, 06:35 AM
Well it’s a bit campaign dependent. In my pirate game I wish I had (human). But in general:

Undead is probably best. They are a real threat at all level ranges.
For a second one, likely dragon, aberration or evil outsider.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-28, 07:03 AM
Pathfinder slayer class? They don't get favored enemy, they get studied target.

Florian
2018-02-28, 07:10 AM

Was wondering about that, too.

ApologyFestival
2018-02-28, 07:23 AM
3.5 slayer, the psionic gish prestige class. It's updated in pathfinder as phrenic slayer.

A slayer's favoured enemy has to be from the ranger's favoured enemy table and have the psionic subtype, so an example of a valid choice would be humanoid (human, psionic). This makes the class feature next to useless in most campaigns. Ask your DM which creatures you are likely to encounter that are psionic, and pick the type accordingly. If your DM is tight-lipped, I would go for aberration since that encompasses mind flayers and elan.

danielxcutter
2018-02-28, 05:29 PM
Apologies for the unclear question; I meant the 3.5 SRD version.

The Viscount
2018-02-28, 09:23 PM
That class is in something of an odd situation. The srd version is actually incomplete and changed the name, because the proper class is Illithid Slayer, and Illithids are not OGL. This is why they have brain nausea and blast feedback.

Favored enemy is victim to this same editing to avoid lawsuit. The text that reads "a type of psionic creature" in the book itself reads "illithids and illithidkin (such as neothelids). So there isn't a choice to be made on your part. It's made for you.
Similarly the "enemy sense" is "illithid sense"

ApologyFestival
2018-03-01, 07:56 AM
Though arguably incomplete, that does make the SRD version considerably better than the XPH version.

danielxcutter
2018-03-01, 04:19 PM
That class is in something of an odd situation. The srd version is actually incomplete and changed the name, because the proper class is Illithid Slayer, and Illithids are not OGL. This is why they have brain nausea and blast feedback.

Favored enemy is victim to this same editing to avoid lawsuit. The text that reads "a type of psionic creature" in the book itself reads "illithids and illithidkin (such as neothelids). So there isn't a choice to be made on your part. It's made for you.
Similarly the "enemy sense" is "illithid sense"

Well, perhaps - but the SRD version does specifically let you choose, doesn't it? The assumption of this thread is that the SRD version would be allowed in the first place.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-01, 04:25 PM
Well, perhaps - but the SRD version does specifically let you choose, doesn't it? The assumption of this thread is that the SRD version would be allowed in the first place.

When choosing a Ranger Favored Enemy, I've always gone off of the statistical advantage - which are the most common and require the most help from FE to defeat. So I would apply the same logic here. Which therefore begs the question, how many 'psionic creatures' are there to choose from?

DEMON
2018-03-01, 04:58 PM
When choosing a Ranger Favored Enemy, I've always gone off of the statistical advantage - which are the most common and require the most help from FE to defeat. So I would apply the same logic here. Which therefore begs the question, how many 'psionic creatures' are there to choose from?

Githyanki and Githzerai? Would Humanoid (Psionic) be a valid option for the Slayer?

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-01, 05:09 PM
Would Humanoid (Psionic) be a valid option for the Slayer?

I think it would. Keep in mind that the Ranger specifies choosing a 'type' of creature and the Slayer specifies choosing a 'type' of psionic creature. So I think the list of Ranger favored enemies would still be applicable, but you just get Psionic members of that type. If this is the case, Aberration might be the best option.

danielxcutter
2018-03-02, 08:49 AM
You know, ironically Illithids are still probably one of the best choices, especially the psionic version. I mean, just slap on some more Telepath levels and you can call it a day.

Honestly though, it's more of an RP thing than a ginormous bonus most of the time, which is good enough for the general game. If a character is a racist who hates half-giants, there's no real reason to deny that, for example, unless one of the other players has a half-giant character(and even then...).

That still makes flayers legitimate choices though - they make perfect villains and there's plenty of reasons to despise them, no? Guess there's a good reason they're the original default option in the first place. :smalltongue: