PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Survive (or at least, trying to)

Mikemical
2018-02-28, 07:57 AM
You might remember this thing from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hjRKGrC40

MGSurvive was stealth-released in February 21st, which goes to show that Konami really took to heart the stealth part of the franchise by forgetting to announce to anyone that the game had released. Much like Dead Rising 4.

I tried the demo, and I must say, some things were interesting. I'm a sucker for survival games, but whereas other games where resource gathering and meeting biological needs is an engaging part of the game, here it's a chore. The stamina system is garbage, and if your character suddenly stopping to catch their breath after a five-second sprint isn't annoying enough for you, the new iDroid's voice making Navi seem like a silent onlooker in comparison will certainly drive you up the wall.

Also, Konami charges you 10$ for extra character slots, and the servers are down for maintenance not even a week after the game was released. Plus the amount of micro-transactions and "pay x$ to get X MG Coins to finish upgrading the base's water philter faster!" is a bitter reminder of the current era of gaming, where everything and their mom seem to run on the same business model as mobile games such as Clash of Clans.

With assets obviously borrowed from The Phantom Pain, it's quite jarring to see the same outpost I had previously sneaked into as Venom with merely a new ENB setting and enemy placements. While there are some parts that are enjoyable, the amount of tedious bear-assing and backtracking you must do, the uninspired enemies and combat summarized into "build a fence at a bottleneck, and poke enemies through the fence until they're all dead" along with the direct-to-DVD sequel story and dialogue(and this is MGS we're talking about), make the whole experience droll. MGSurvive is less about building up something new, and more like taking scraps from its predecessor and try to build a new game out of it with the bare minimum effort.