PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to conceal an angelic cohort in a lawful evil vampire metropolis?

Swiftest
2018-02-28, 10:37 AM
Greetings all!

I'm making a new character during a campaign where we're infiltrating a vampire-run metropolis. Said vampires keep the inner city in a permanent state of night, and have a ton of guards/detections/warding spells up at all entrances and exits, not to mention police with arcane sight. The vampires are paranoid to the point of mania, and everyone seems to be scrying everyone else on the constant. Although our party is decently strong (and newly 13th level) we definitely cannot take on the vampire lords of the city or even a large part of their police force and expect to win. My new character is a cleric 7/prestige paladin 1/Thaumaturgist 5 and has a Ghaele cohort with 11 hd. The game is core only, more or less (I can ask for other sources, but the answer, at least for me in particular, is very likely to be no). I will of course be using undetectable alignment, extended nondetection (17th level cl), and (hopefully) misdirection from a wand, all on a daily basis. I suspect there is also some sort of greater mythal spell generating a forbiddance-like effect in the inner city, to help keep the vampires nice and safe, so having it teleport in and out probably won't work. I'll probably try to convince the Ghaele to use an ioun stone of sustenance and keep him in a bag of holding (if he'll suffer such a thing, which he very well may not).

Once I get *into* the inner city successfully I'll have access to a 13th level wizard with limited spell selection (newer player) and a 13th level extremely unoptimized swashbuckler/rogue with maxed ranks in disguise. I've actually never played a thaumaturgist (or a high level cleric!) before and thus have never had to take pains to conceal a planar cohort with a mind of its own. I will probably have the luck or trickery domain which means I'll have access to mislead, but that won't help me getting through the various high level detection spells. Other notable items I have access to are a bead of karma and a dusty orange ioun stone as well as various metamagic rods and maxed out UMD. I can buy any supplies within about 15k gold including spellcasting services -- all in advance of entering the inner city.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Celestia
2018-02-28, 10:44 AM
A good disguise check and not drawing attention to yourself aught to work. I don't know of any magic that specifically beats mundane disguises, and as long as they're not suspicious of you, they should have no reason to roll against your disguise.

Swiftest
2018-02-28, 10:46 AM
Yeah but an outsider is going to have an incredibly strong aura of good, will he not? Surely such a thing would get picked up. I mean it's a vampire lair right? They gotta be on the lookout for that stuff.

Vaern
2018-02-28, 11:16 AM
Arcane Sight detects magical auras. Alignment auras won't register to them. Undetectable Alignment should be sufficient for the purpose of concealing your alignment from Detect Good.

If you can get your DM to let you take Sun Devotion (Complete Champion), you're in pretty much the perfect situation to use it. You can make a melee weapon shine for one minute with light that affects creatures within 10 feet as if it was true sunlight, and deals an additional point of sacred damage per character level to any undead you strike during the duration. The feat is practically begging to be used to decimate a vampire city.

Psyren
2018-02-28, 12:08 PM
Yeah but an outsider is going to have an incredibly strong aura of good, will he not? Surely such a thing would get picked up. I mean it's a vampire lair right? They gotta be on the lookout for that stuff.

If you mean the Angel's Protective Aura, it can be dispelled or lowered for as long as is needed.

If you mean the alignment aura, there are ways to mask your/their alignment from detection spells (which you should probably be doing anyway, angel or not.)

Telonius
2018-02-28, 12:25 PM
Would the Chewbacca Method work? March into the city with the Ghaele manacled, posing as your prisoner.