PDA

View Full Version : Situational, cinematic Inspiration options

Tiadoppler
2018-02-28, 02:56 PM
As a DM, I rarely give out Inspiration. It's something I reserve for really grand roleplay gestures and choices, rather than a "whenever you remember to act like your character".

Similarly, my players rarely use it. They have tools in their toolbox for giving themselves Advantage already, and are reluctant to "waste" their inspiration point on negating Disadvantage or giving a single attack Advantage.

Because of this, I've been contemplating adding a few situational "get-out-of-jail-free" type abilities to Inspiration so that it can be used to turn around dire situations in a suitably heroic manner. The sorts of abilities I'd like to add will allow players to make comebacks more easily from very bad situations, and therefore not be usable during a normal encounter that is going well for the party. Here's a few ideas I've had. Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions, and if I'm an idiot for even considering this.

Taking you with me.
When you are hit by a melee weapon attack that would reduce you to 0 HP, you may spend Inspiration to make a single melee weapon attack against the attacker. This cannot reduce the damage you take in any way.

Don't hurt my friends!
If an enemy scores a critical hit against one of your allies (other than you), and you are Charmed, Frightened, Paralyzed or Stunned, you may spend Inspiration to make a saving throw against that effect. (Considering this: Instead of rolling a d20 for the save, you use the damage roll of the triggering attack.)

Never surrender.
If at least half of your party is at 0 hp, you may spend Inspiration to turn a successful death saving throw into a critical success.

It's me you want!
If an attack would do instantly lethal damage to one of your allies (other than you) within 5', you may spend Inspiration to take the damage instead. If this damage reduces you to 0 hp, that ally gains Inspiration.