PDA

View Full Version : What class fits Moon Knight best?

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-28, 03:03 PM
I wanted to make a character based off of Moon Knight. I know he is a relatively unknown hero first appearing in issue 32 of werewolf by night. I was thinking of making him monk/cleric of Khonshu but I also considered the classes of rogue, paladin, fighter. I think I might exchange cleric for paladin. For those who don't know Moon knight is a Marvel character who is the first knight of Khonshu; the Egyptian god of the moon. He gets his power form Khonshu and he fights with a silver quarter staff and he throws moon darts (silvered crescent moon throwing stars). Whats the right class the right class?

Naanomi
2018-02-28, 03:07 PM
He uses monk weapons, and doesn’t have anything in the way of flashy magical abilities. I’d go with monk, or maybe monk/rogue

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-28, 03:18 PM
He uses monk weapons, and doesn’t have anything in the way of flashy magical abilities. I’d go with monk, or maybe monk/rogue

Thats what I thought but I was thinking the buffs and stuff from his god might point toward Cleric of paladin.

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-28, 03:25 PM
However, Clerics and Paladins use those blessings to then bless other people. If he is more of a martial fighter, than say he is a monk, who was gifted his powers by a combination of both meditation, and godly intervention.

If you’re looking for stealth, I’d say Shadow Monk, but Monk/Rogue might work better, as Shadow Monk uses unnatural stealth, whereas Rogue uses skill and expertise to hide, along with dexterous abilities. Granted, monk does the same, but Rogue is more focused on Stealth. Assassin/Shadow Monk might be a cool combo: Stealth around, and then pop out, assassinate somebody, and then be gone before anybody can react.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-28, 03:37 PM
Be a Monk and fluff your Monk-powers as coming from a god instead of training? Moon Knight doesn't have much in the way of powers, and I think nothing beyond some physical enchantment. Plus it's by far your best bet to make darts scary.

I'd suggest either Open Hand (pure martial skill) or Long Death (scariness, toughness), or... Drunken Master is also a pretty good pure-martial Monk, if you ignore the fluff. A dip in Rogue isn't bad either.

Sigreid
2018-02-28, 03:40 PM
Your description sounds like a celestial warlock to me.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-28, 03:43 PM
Is Moon Knight defined by an Oath, Auras, or Smiting? If not why go Paladins. Paladins are not necessarily connected to Gods in 5e.

I think this could easily be a Monk with the Acolyte background.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-28, 04:00 PM
Is Moon Knight defined by an Oath, Auras, or Smiting? If not why go Paladins. Paladins are not necessarily connected to Gods in 5e.

I think this could easily be a Monk with the Acolyte background.

He is Khonshus avatar on earth. He protects the helpless and the travelers by night. Khonshu resurrected him sooooo..... he shows no superpowers or magic just heightened abilities.

shadowmage
2018-02-28, 04:09 PM
Your description sounds like a celestial warlock to me.

I am leaning this way myself as well. The limited spells a warlock has could be buffs from Khonshus. I would lean towards the hexblade and just re-fluff the patron which does not have to go far as it is basically the Raven queen already.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-28, 04:10 PM
He is Khonshus avatar on earth. He protects the helpless and the travelers by night. Khonshu resurrected him sooooo..... he shows no superpowers or magic just heightened abilities.

That sounds like a Zealot to me.

SkylarkR6
2018-02-28, 04:14 PM
Dex zealot with a rogue dip for expertise in stealth and acrobatics

apepi
2018-02-28, 09:24 PM
I think Kensei Monk/Zealot Barbarian. Not sure how well it would work.

the secret fire
2018-02-28, 09:39 PM
The Moon Knight didn't rage and he didn't cast spells. I'd make him an Open Hand Monk/Thief Rogue.

Naanomi
2018-02-28, 09:40 PM
He didn’t rage but he did like to take punches more than dodge them...

bc56
2018-02-28, 10:22 PM
With my (rather limited) knowledge of this marvel character, I would suggest Battle Master, especially if his victories tend to be based on unique ways of hitting people, like tripping them or disarming them.

Vogie
2018-02-28, 10:48 PM
Since he doesn't really teleport, I would suggest Way of the Open hand Monk with a 3-level dip in Shadow Sorcerer to round out his theme. That gives Darkvision and the darkness spell for free, which will be a boon with as few spells you'll know.

Wholeness of Body plus the SS quirk "You barely bleed, even when badly injured" give the feel of the Superhero
Subtle & Quickened to tie in that he's not giving the spellcaster vibe.
The "I'm a Superhero!" spells could include Jump, Spider climb, Disguise Self
Your Moon darts could be Magic Missiles/Ice Knife or Shadow Blade

the secret fire
2018-02-28, 11:01 PM
He didn’t rage but he did like to take punches more than dodge them...

Uncanny Dodge?

Moon Knight was basically a white-costumed, marvel version of batman without all the emo posturing (or much personality, at all, actually). I'd like to make him a Long Death Monk, but the class abilities don't really fit. He didn't scare anybody the way LDMs do, and I think he should just stick with Open Hand. What sort of Rogue he should be (other than AT, which is out) is another question.

Naanomi
2018-02-28, 11:15 PM
He was more of a fighter than a sneaker (relative to Batman)... I’d say swashbuckler

The main effect of his multiple personalities (besides wacky RP) is resistance to mental effects, so look to pick up Wisdom saves at some point in time

Paeleus
2018-02-28, 11:23 PM
I agree with the major consensus that Open Hand Monk should be the main class. A 2 level dip in rogue is great for any Monk and going the Thief route with an extra level investment grants you Fast Hands, a feature that I've found pretty freaking useful in past campaigns.

The only other suggestion for a 2-4 level dip would be Ranger. And to stick with the magic-less theme, go with the Spelless Ranger variant if you have the flexibility at your table. For a 3 level investment, it can get interesting with the Hunter archetype (I'd do this for Horde Breaker) or, Gloomstalker. Dread Ambusher and Umbral Sight are pretty helpful when out and about administering justice in the middle of the night.

the secret fire
2018-02-28, 11:28 PM
He was more of a fighter than a sneaker (relative to Batman)... I’d say swashbuckler

The main effect of his multiple personalities (besides wacky RP) is resistance to mental effects, so look to pick up Wisdom saves at some point in time

Monks get Stillness of Mind at 7th level.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-01, 12:25 AM
Gloom Stalker Ranger /monk mix.

Malifice
2018-03-01, 12:34 AM
Over the course of his life as a boxer, U.S. Marine, mercenary, and costumed superhero, Marc Spector has become an expert at hand-to-hand combat techniques and martial arts such as Boxing, Kung Fu, Eskrima, Judo, Karate, Ninjutsu, Savate, and Muay Thai. He is an Olympic-level athlete and a skilled acrobat and gymnast, and excels as a combat strategist. He employs a variety of weapons over the course of his career, including throwing darts, nunchaku, bo staff and a truncheon. He is skilled with most weapons, and an expert with throwing weapons. Spector is a superb driver and can pilot a helicopter.

Hes a Monk.

Add a splash of vengance paladin to suit.

Starman973
2018-03-01, 02:04 AM
I have read a lot of the Moon knight Comic Books. and there are two schools of thought on him. His own perspective. He has been commissioned by a god to do justice in his name. Everyone else's perspective. He suffers from dis-associative disorder and has multiple personalities. Marc Spector does have other alias other than Moon Knight. How aware of them he is remains The question. Personally I like Gloom Stalker/ Shadow Monk Combo. Don't think of it as dodging the hit. think of it more that he has temped his body like steel, that he is his armor. Just add a dash of madness and drive. don't laugh. and you may want some skill with intimidate. and the reason he wears why is, He's not really Hiding. So with the gloom stalker shadow monk it becomes more like the darkness is bending around him. The only real remaining question is what race do you make him. Human, human variant, or something else.