PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A True Polymorph and Warlock Abilities

TheYell
2018-02-28, 03:11 PM
If my warlock of a Great Old One uses True Polymorph to transform into a creature, I argue he'd still get to use Awakened Mind, Entropic Ward, Thought Shield and Create Thrall, as those are not tied to stats and are a gift from his patron not requiring either material components or an arcane focus.

Do I have that right? It would be quite nifty to be an Iron Golem with one-way telepathy.

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-28, 03:55 PM
It’s a DM’s choice, really.

The logic behind it is sound, and it’s a cool idea thematically. If I were a DM, and you gave me a good argument, I might allow it.

However, it also depends on your party’s opinions. If the rest of your party is cool with it, than there really is nothing wrong with it, unless the DM has a strict rule around that type of thing.

However, speaking for both sides here: if you keep your other class abilities, then you should be able to keep your Spellcasting, as it is a class ability. However, you can easily make an exception to this, but just a bit of food for thought, really.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-28, 04:33 PM
Considering that it's a 9th level spell that's being used, I would allow the Patron Boons to stay, where applicable for the new form, that is.
GOO with their telepathy would remain intact. I'd argue that a Fiendlock would still get temp HP for a kill. That sort of thing.

If it makes sense for the Polymorphed shape to be able to do, I don't really see an issue with allowing it.
It's 17th level or beyond. Characters are supposed to be a bit "wth even is this?" by that point.

Davrix
2018-02-28, 04:44 PM
If my warlock of a Great Old One uses True Polymorph to transform into a creature, I argue he'd still get to use Awakened Mind, Entropic Ward, Thought Shield and Create Thrall, as those are not tied to stats and are a gift from his patron not requiring either material components or an arcane focus.

Do I have that right? It would be quite nifty to be an Iron Golem with one-way telepathy.

It's not bad logic but by RAW the patron gifts are part of your class features and thus would be lost using the spell. That being said I'd probably allow it myself so long as it didn't get out of control. However you must have a form that meets the requirements of the spells. So no T-rex trying to cast with those little claws please.