PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is there any way to force something to permit a save?

Matrota
2018-02-28, 07:54 PM
Perhaps a strange request, but is there a method in 3.5 or perhaps even PF that would allow someone subjected to an effect that doesn't typically allow a save to make a save against the effect to negate or lessen its impact?

I'm going to be playing in a very silly, gimmicky campaign and the build for my character is literally made just to be able to save against everything without having any harmful effects (mettle and evasion). They're the type of person to skip down the hall of a dungeon full of traps while whistling.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-28, 08:08 PM
If you are going to do this I would recommend piling on as many high saves, evasion, mettle, Spell Resistance, Energy Resistance, high flat-footed touch AC, and Damage Reduction as you can.

The Viscount
2018-02-28, 10:13 PM
Divine Denial is a feat that allows you to make a Will save to negate the effect of any divine spell that normally has no save.

Thurbane
2018-02-28, 10:29 PM
Iron Heart Surge (ToB)?

XionUnborn01
2018-02-28, 11:12 PM
Iron Heart Surge (ToB)?

Legendary Dreadnought from ELH has an ability like this. The class itself could probably scaled down to non epic levels, it's not that amazing.

Esprit15
2018-02-28, 11:39 PM
Font of Life allows a save against ability drain and negative levels as soon as they are inflicted.

Darrin
2018-03-01, 05:50 AM
Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness. Only works on stun/daze effects, but explicitly allows a Will save if you didn't get one.

Zaq
2018-03-01, 09:08 AM
I recall a poorly worded item or spell in BoED (Starmantle or something similar?) that lets you make a Reflex save against weapon damage, thereby making Evasion way more relevant no matter what you’re fighting. I don’t have my books open for the specifics, though.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-01, 10:01 AM
I recall a poorly worded item or spell in BoED (Starmantle or something similar?) that lets you make a Reflex save against weapon damage, thereby making Evasion way more relevant no matter what you’re fighting. I don’t have my books open for the specifics, though.

Starmantle is a Level 6 sorcerer/wizard spell (and Level 7 Joy domain spell) that turns destroys and non-magical weapon or missile that strikes the target, making the target impervious to damage from these. It further gives the target a DC 15 REF save against damage from magical weapons and missiles, taking half damage if successful. Page 108 of BoED.

I believe the wording of the ability makes this work with Evasion and Improved Evasion. I need a wondrous item with a permanent version of this spell!

There is a Starmantle Cloak, also in BoED (page 116), with a continous effect identical to that of the Starmantle spell. Costs 132,000.
:smallbiggrin: I know what I'm getting for my next character!

Vaern
2018-03-01, 10:06 AM
I believe the wording of the ability makes this work with Evasion and Improved Evasion. I need a wondrous item with a permanent version of this spell!
There is a Starmantle Cloak, also in BoED (page 116), with a continous effect identical to that of the Starmantle spell. Costs 132,000.

Matrota
2018-03-01, 03:04 PM
Shoot, I had forgotten about the starmantle cloak. Judging by WBL I can purchase it at 15th level (after my 8th level purchases), and at that point my reflex save bonus is +39. With the ability to reroll if I ever roll a 1 on a save. This build is just plain silly! Time to never get hit again.