PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Gladiator

Catbucket
2018-02-28, 11:49 PM
Looking to make a big, tough, sword and board lizardfolk gladiator type. The party is currently level 2, and made up of a goblin barbarian, a tiefling bard, a drow mystic, and a warlock whos race I'm not sure of.

Currently deciding between fighter, barbarian, and ranger but curious about other possible options for making this work. Was tossing around the idea of monk, but the lack of shield proficiency kills the whole sword/shield gladiator type deal.

Only real current requirement is that he be able to use a sword and shield, having a really hard time deciding on what class to use for him though.

Fighter of course offers a metric ton of versatility which is always nice, but barbarian turns him into a serious beefcake, which I really like, plus rage is super cool. And of course, Ranger adds in some fun stuff for him to do with javelins, which he can make, plus having some spell utility is always fun, Although we already do have several full casters in the party.

Was also tossing around the idea of blood hunter, as matt mercer content is fully allowed in this campaign, but again, much like monk, no shield.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-01, 12:21 AM
Ahhh my favorite race out of Volo's and currently second favorite 5e race of all.

I'd say Ranger all the way, if revised ranger is allowed even better but not required. I prefer gloomstalker for a very predatory style but hunter and the others work just as well.

Monk isn't bad at all but yeah no shield. But look at it this way. If you go for a more strength monk, you can ignore the martial arts and unarmored defense since your racial AC might be better anyway, and then ...maybe ask for shield proficiency or get it as a feat? Whats really cool here is that you have a flurry of bites at level 2 that is potentially the strongest attacks at that level (without feats from vhuman).

Flurry of bites = 16.5 avg dmg? a level 2.

Barbarian is also a very nice pick but i understand the need to be a different class than the others.

Fighter is really good, and gives you alot of different options. so if you want to feel out your character before deciding how to do it first two levels fighter would work well.

strangebloke
2018-03-01, 12:22 AM
Lizardfolk are a little awkward (from an optimization perspective) because using the natural armor screams DEX build, but the unarmed attack screams STR build. It's pretty hard to use most of what they offer unless you're playing a caster of some kind. But that level of optimization is generally unimportant, so don't worry about it. If you wanna play

Battlemasters are fine for what you want. You can trip, shove, and hit multiple people at once. Regardless of class you're going to want the performance skill.

Barbarians are great and beefy, but they lack the panache you would typically associated with a gladiator.

Hmmm.... Panache....

Have you considered the swashbuckler/Barbarian multiclass? Your party has no rogue, (although a goblin is always at least partially a rogue.) You can still build for strength and S&B, and wear medium armor. Sneak attack specifies that you have to use a finesse weapon, not that you have to be using it with DEX. You get expertise in performance, you can get advantage whenever you want to proc sneak attack, and the sneak attack illustrates that you're a very skilled fighter in addition to being huge and strong. Better, you get sneak attack every time you're in a one-on-one duel.

I'm not sure what the best order to take the levels would be, particularly when starting at level 2.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-01, 01:12 AM
Lizardfolk are a little awkward (from an optimization perspective) because using the natural armor screams DEX build, but the unarmed attack screams STR build. It's pretty hard to use most of what they offer unless you're playing a caster of some kind. But that level of optimization is generally unimportant, so don't worry about it. If you wanna play

Battlemasters are fine for what you want. You can trip, shove, and hit multiple people at once. Regardless of class you're going to want the performance skill.

Barbarians are great and beefy, but they lack the panache you would typically associated with a gladiator.

Hmmm.... Panache....

Have you considered the swashbuckler/Barbarian multiclass? Your party has no rogue, (although a goblin is always at least partially a rogue.) You can still build for strength and S&B, and wear medium armor. Sneak attack specifies that you have to use a finesse weapon, not that you have to be using it with DEX. You get expertise in performance, you can get advantage whenever you want to proc sneak attack, and the sneak attack illustrates that you're a very skilled fighter in addition to being huge and strong. Better, you get sneak attack every time you're in a one-on-one duel.

I'm not sure what the best order to take the levels would be, particularly when starting at level 2.

barbarian first for better hp and reckless attack, plus that unarmored AC will be great with the con boost from racial.

Ventruenox
2018-03-01, 08:09 AM
Was also tossing around the idea of blood hunter, as matt mercer content is fully allowed in this campaign, but again, much like monk, no shield.

With the new Blood Hunter update (to include the Xanathars Warlock Patrons for Profane Soul, Blood Hunters also got shield proficiency. Get the latest version on DMs Guild.

MintyNinja
2018-03-01, 02:16 PM

Expanding on this just a bit: Start Barbarian 1 / Rogue 1 and make sure one of your Expertise is in Athletics. Get to Swashbuckler by Character Level 4, then dive deep into Barbarian. Your first ASI will be level 7, but by then you'll be Dashing, Raging, and Disengaging like no one else. When you're comfortable with your stats, I'd also suggest Shield Mastery, for those wicked shield tricks.

My own version of this character has always been a Battle Master + Shield Master, but that's a more technical fighter than you're hulking rage-beast.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-01, 05:02 PM
With the new Blood Hunter update (to include the Xanathars Warlock Patrons for Profane Soul, Blood Hunters also got shield proficiency. Get the latest version on DMs Guild.

Yup, BH gets shield now putting it more in line with other Medium armor proficient classes.