PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a frontliner for this team!

Eshfyre
2018-03-01, 03:25 AM
I'll be starting in a new campaign soon with four other players. I'd like some suggestions on how to protect this team:

* Warlock (Archfey)
* Ranger (TWF Melee) Hunter
* Ranger (Archer) Monster Slayer
* Sorcerer Divine Soul

We'll be starting this campaign at level 1, so whatever I pick it needs to be playable from level 1 onwards.

It's a mostly human-centric campaign, so I'll be playing a variant human. The only thing I need to decide on is what class has the better damage mitigation/battlefield utility. We'll be using the Standard Array as my DM is new, but feats are still aloud. Thoughts?

Edit: I've decided to go with Eldritch Knight + Sentinel for brawn and brains

hymer
2018-03-01, 03:31 AM
A wolf totem barbarian (IIRC - the totem that grants allies advantage) should go well with your melee ranger buddy. Personally I'd do an ancients paladin. You can tank and heal and get that really spiffy aura to protect your allies.

Eshfyre
2018-03-01, 03:37 AM
A wolf totem barbarian (IIRC - the totem that grants allies advantage) should go well with your melee ranger buddy. Personally I'd do an ancients paladin. You can tank and heal and get that really spiffy aura to protect your allies.

What would you suggest for a level 1 feat for the Ancient Oath Paladin?

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-01, 03:38 AM
Barbarian, Fighter, or Paladin would he a decent Frontliner.
The melee Ranger can do off-tank duty if needed.
Barbarian would be the 'best' at tanking the hits, and drawing aggro. Because Reckless Attack, and such.

For Paladin, any Oath can be made to work, though Ancients and Devotion are probably the 'tankier' ones with their auras. As for 1st level feat.. Resilient Con if you plan on having Bless up a lot, or Shield Master for a bit of extra goodness.
Sentinel is always a nice option. Though I'd personally grab Magic Initiate Wizard, with Prestidigitation and Booming Blade, and Find Familiar for some RP stuff as well. And a bit of help with scouting, unless you plan on going Dexadin.

Arkhios
2018-03-01, 03:47 AM
What would you suggest for a level 1 feat for the Ancient Oath Paladin?

For tank, I would say Sentinel. Or, if you would rather be annoying, Take Prodigy from Xanathar's Guide, grab "Expertise" in Athletics, and at 4th level, take Shield Master to start forcing your foes prone.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-01, 04:38 AM
For tank, I would say Sentinel. Or, if you would rather be annoying, Take Prodigy from Xanathar's Guide, grab "Expertise" in Athletics, and at 4th level, take Shield Master to start forcing your foes prone.

That would be more annoying to their party, since there's 3 PCs are primarily ranged combatants.
Maybe not the Sorcerer, but then they'd have to rely on save-or-suck spells.

Arkhios
2018-03-01, 05:03 AM
That would be more annoying to their party, since there's 3 PCs are primarily ranged combatants.
Maybe not the Sorcerer, but then they'd have to rely on save-or-suck spells.

True. Although, to be pedantic, I didn't exactly specify annoying to whom, did I? :smallcool:

ProsecutorGodot
2018-03-01, 05:22 AM
Can't go wrong with a Shield and Sword Paladin. The oath you take doesn't matter, as mentioned above, and Ancients is likely has the best "passively protect" features.

I'd like to mention Redemption Paladin however. You would gain some pretty useful spells geared towards protection and your aura turns into an active feature that you can use as a reaction to steal the damage an ally would have taken. If you were to turn this route I'd probably recommend Tough so that you can actually take those extra hits.

Even if Redemption is my preference though, I'd still recommend Ancients+Sentinel over it.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-01, 05:25 AM
True. Although, to be pedantic, I didn't exactly specify annoying to whom, did I? :smallcool:

I know you didn't specify that. Which is why I did ot for you, so OP doesn't get angry ranged players on his neck for Proning baddies all the time.

BobZan
2018-03-01, 06:59 AM
Battlemaster is very good. Pick Heavy Armor Master for a better soak early on.

You can hit and maneuver your friends or goad foes to attack you.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-01, 07:16 AM
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but if UA is allowed - War Magic wizard (And grab Tough, Resilient, and/or Warcaster). If you mainly build Int, Dex, and then Con, and grab spells like Shield, and Sleet-Storm, you can be rather effective in front-line combat. It requires a bit of finesse, and Shocking Touch would have to become your best friend, alongside Arcane Deflection, but my War Magic wizard finds himself up-front to medium range. If I have a Shadow Blade Spell active, I become a beast, as concentration is a war-caster’s best friend.
Or, if you feel like staying back: You are rather effective at keeping a large summon or a swarm on the field for a long while.

Specter
2018-03-01, 07:18 AM
Eldritch Knight Fighter, just to have someone with actually good AC in the party.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-01, 07:26 AM
Eldritch Knight Fighter, just to have someone with actually good AC in the party.

I’ll second this, but if you don’t want that

Clerics are perfectly fine frontliners. Choose a domain like war/tempest if you want to do some damage otherwise pick up grave or other supporting domain and GET IN THERE

Alternatively Ancestral Guardian Barbarian(say that 5X fast) would be very good.

Eshfyre
2018-03-01, 11:35 AM
I’ll second this, but if you don’t want that

Clerics are perfectly fine frontliners. Choose a domain like war/tempest if you want to do some damage otherwise pick up grave or other supporting domain and GET IN THERE

Alternatively Ancestral Guardian Barbarian(say that 5X fast) would be very good.

Would Sentinel be a good feat for a level 1 Eldritch Knight?

XmonkTad
2018-03-01, 11:54 AM

Yes, and I'd also like to cast my vote for EK. Paladins and barbarians make great tanks with omni resists and auras. But a human EK can get their hands on booming blade without wasting an ASI, which leaves them open for sentinel, which is amazing on them. Warcaster is quite nice too as it let's you booming blade as a reaction.

Sol
2018-03-01, 01:23 PM
Controversial answer:

UA Spore Druid with Magic Initiate for Greenflame and Booming Blade, who takes Shillelagh.

Spiked Leather + Shield is pretty decent AC-wise, you get 3xLvl THP when you spore-shape, and your melee attacks aren't insignificant at all. Against enemies not resistant/immune to poison, your damage is stellar. Against ones who are, it's passable. Healing Spirit is top-tier healing efficiency out of combat, and the druid has (IMO) the best control list.

Specter
2018-03-01, 01:29 PM

Yes. Nothing better to preserve friends than taking hits for them. BUT I'd start with War Caster, to use a shield and cast Shield/Absorb Elements at the same time.

Sigreid
2018-03-01, 01:33 PM
I think you should look at cavalier fighter. It was built to tank.

Zealot barb is great for eventual never say die goodness.

MrStabby
2018-03-01, 04:26 PM
Nature cleric.

Everyone is making attack rolls, so bless is golden. Spirit guardians helps hold a front-line. You get heavy armour and can use wisdom as an attack stat.

Best of all it compliments the party theme - fey pacts and wilderness from the ranger. The nature theme should work well.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-01, 05:18 PM
I think you should look at cavalier fighter. It was built to tank.

I assume OP's edit means you've already made a decision, but this is what I'm here to suggest, too. Cavalier has a good protection kit, and sentinel would make it better.

Citan
2018-03-02, 09:03 AM
Hi OP. ;)

It appears you have decided, but in case someone else checks this thread for a similar question, I'd like to still put my vote in...

CHA-based
1st choice: Crown Paladin: "Mass Compelled Duel", Command, Compelled Duel, Aura of Protection.
2nd choice: Glamour Bard: Jack of all Trades, healing, buff, Bardic Inspiration as party THP, Command as bonus action.

WIS-based:
1st choice: Nature Cleric: Spirit Guardians + Plant Growth + Thorns Whip.
Ex-aequo: Shepherd Druid: Bear/Hawk Aura, Healing Spirit, great adventuring/sneaking rituals, Conjure Animals and environment spells (although the latter can impair ranged shooter if used improperly).

INT-based:
1st choice: Abjuration paired with small Fighter dip, using whatever control is available: armor + shield + ward + Shield makes you pretty sturdy, Booming Blade + Warcaster helps keep enemies where you want them in addition to Fear/Slow/Stinking Cloud/Walls.
2nd choice: Arcane Trickster dual-classed with Bladesinger Wizard: high AC + Shield makes you hard to hit, Uncanny Dodge takes care of occasional ones, and you can later setup ambushes that ensures a swift victory.

STR based
1st choice: Eldricht Knight with Heavy Armor Master, Sentinel and PAM.
2nd choice: Bear Barbarian with Sentinel and PAM.

DEX based
1st choice: Thief Rogue with Healer feat (or Arcane Trickster).
2nd choice: Long Death Monk (Fear as an action).

CBAnaesthesia
2018-03-03, 08:28 AM
Yes. Nothing better to preserve friends than taking hits for them. BUT I'd start with War Caster, to use a shield and cast Shield/Absorb Elements at the same time.
You can't take War Caster at level 1 though. It has a prerequisite that you need to be able to cast a spell.
I'd maybe start with a Halberd + Sentinel at level 1 and switch to S&B with War Caster at level 4 (or maybe 6). Alternatively, Resilient (Wis) is a good level 1 feat given that you don't want your tank mind controlled or incapacitated.

Angelalex242
2018-03-03, 12:51 PM
Ancients Paladin is my choice. Once level 8 comes around, you're taking half damage from all spells with a +5 to all saves with maxed Charisma. Good luck getting anything done to your team now.

Specter
2018-03-03, 01:10 PM
You can't take War Caster at level 1 though. It has a prerequisite that you need to be able to cast a spell.
I'd maybe start with a Halberd + Sentinel at level 1 and switch to S&B with War Caster at level 4 (or maybe 6). Alternatively, Resilient (Wis) is a good level 1 feat given that you don't want your tank mind controlled or incapacitated.

Oh yeah, there's that.
Anyway, that's how I'd do it:

ST16, DX10, CO16, IN14, WI10, CH8
First level: Sentinel
4th level: War Caster
6th and upwards: Max STR, then whatever

CBAnaesthesia
2018-03-03, 02:23 PM
Ancients Paladin is my choice. Once level 8 comes around, you're taking half damage from all spells with a +5 to all saves with maxed Charisma. Good luck getting anything done to your team now.

That's definitely a good choice. It's tough to get Sentinel, high Con, 20 Cha, and high Str on a Paladin by level 8 though, unless you roll good stats

Angelalex242
2018-03-03, 07:48 PM
That's definitely a good choice. It's tough to get Sentinel, high Con, 20 Cha, and high Str on a Paladin by level 8 though, unless you roll good stats

Vhuman starts with Sentinel, go from there. Rolling does help, though.