PDA

View Full Version : Mounted melee sorcerer

Quoz
2018-03-01, 06:45 AM
I'm trying to flesh out a concept for a high damage melee sorcerer. I'm seeing different pieces but can't quite see how to stack them all together.

Kobold dragon sorcerer. Small hexblade dip for weapon and armor proficiency and SAD.

Prefer mounted combat with a lance. Pack tactics means never taking disadvantage no matter how much disad I face. Once I get pact of the blade I can switch to a rapier or other non reach weapon as the situation dictates.

My go-to is greenflame blade or booming blade. Twin or quicken as possible. Pick up spell sniper eventually to use at reach.

For spells I think less blasting and more buff/control. I'm not usually a caster so I am open to suggestions.

I'm not committed to any of these parts individually, but I like the idea of a full caster that charges into the thick of things to crush a high value target. I'd like the build to come online early but I know it has a lot of parts.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-01, 07:39 AM
I'm trying to flesh out a concept for a high damage melee sorcerer. I'm seeing different pieces but can't quite see how to stack them all together.

Kobold dragon sorcerer. Small hexblade dip for weapon and armor proficiency and SAD.

Prefer mounted combat with a lance. Pack tactics means never taking disadvantage no matter how much disad I face. Once I get pact of the blade I can switch to a rapier or other non reach weapon as the situation dictates.

My go-to is greenflame blade or booming blade. Twin or quicken as possible. Pick up spell sniper eventually to use at reach.

For spells I think less blasting and more buff/control. I'm not usually a caster so I am open to suggestions.

I'm not committed to any of these parts individually, but I like the idea of a full caster that charges into the thick of things to crush a high value target. I'd like the build to come online early but I know it has a lot of parts.

Kobold Dragon sorcerer X/ Hexblade Blade pact 3
Buy a horse.
Get mounted combatant.
?????
Profit ?

Crgaston
2018-03-01, 08:54 AM
Starting stats after Racials 10 14 15 8 8 15
Folk Hero background
L1 Hexblade, Eldritch Blast, Booming Blade
L2 Warlock 2 Repelling Blast and Beast Speech. Get a horse.
L3 Blade Pact, swap Repelling for Improved Pact Weapon. Use a long sword.
L4 Spell Sniper feat. Switch to lance as your main weapon. Add GFB cantrip.
L5 Warlock 5 for the Thirsting Blade invocation and 3rd level slots
LX Sorcerer. Mounted Combatant at L9. The +1 you’d get from a stat boost will be largely mitigated by your constant advantage, so the survivability boost of your mount is probably worth the trade. Boost stats after that.

Dragon Sorcerer would be thematic and would give you +1 HP/lvl but the AC boost conflicts with your Medium Armor proficiency. Not too bad, though.

Divine Soul would give you 2 extra cantrips and access to Spiritual Weapon at L8 and Spirit Guardians by L10, so that’s probably what I’d go with.

Make friends with a Dire Wolf ASAP.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-01, 09:32 AM
Starting stats after Racials 10 14 15 8 8 15
Folk Hero background
L1 Hexblade, Eldritch Blast, Booming Blade
L2 Warlock 2 Repelling Blast and Beast Speech. Get a horse.
L3 Blade Pact, swap Repelling for Improved Pact Weapon. Use a long sword.
L4 Spell Sniper feat. Switch to lance as your main weapon. Add GFB cantrip.
L5 Warlock 5 for the Thirsting Blade invocation and 3rd level slots
LX Sorcerer. Mounted Combatant at L9. The +1 you’d get from a stat boost will be largely mitigated by your constant advantage, so the survivability boost of your mount is probably worth the trade. Boost stats after that.

Dragon Sorcerer would be thematic and would give you +1 HP/lvl but the AC boost conflicts with your Medium Armor proficiency. Not too bad, though.

Divine Soul would give you 2 extra cantrips and access to Spiritual Weapon at L8 and Spirit Guardians by L10, so that’s probably what I’d go with.

Make friends with a Dire Wolf ASAP.

You could probably get away without any Hexblade if you take Draconic. 2-3 levels is all you need to get most of what you want out of HexBladelock. And you could indeed go Divine Soul for things like Spirit Guardians. Which is a nice melee range blender, from what I've seen.

..I had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of the spell, once. Wasn't very fun for me.

Quoz
2018-03-01, 12:18 PM
You could probably get away without any Hexblade if you take Draconic. 2-3 levels is all you need to get most of what you want out of HexBladelock. And you could indeed go Divine Soul for things like Spirit Guardians. Which is a nice melee range blender, from what I've seen.

..I had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of the spell, once. Wasn't very fun for me.

Oh man, now I want to find a way to get find steed on here so they have to survive double spirit guardian. Even better if I'm evil on a neutral steed (or vice versa) so I can get both damage types. Divine Sorcadin, but would take way too long to come online for the campaign.

Crgaston
2018-03-01, 11:59 PM
Oh man, now I want to find a way to get find steed on here so they have to survive double spirit guardian. Even better if I'm evil on a neutral steed (or vice versa) so I can get both damage types. Divine Sorcadin, but would take way too long to come online for the campaign.
Hexblade1 /Lore Bard 6?

How high do you expect to get?

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-02, 01:08 AM
Hexblade1 /Lore Bard 6?

How high do you expect to get?

Hex 1 /Lore 6 does seem the fastest way to get Find Steed and Spirit Blender.

Quoz
2018-03-02, 06:49 AM
Maybe for another character. There are already 2 bards in this party. Any more and we enter spontaneous sing along territory.

I think sorcerer X/ hexblade 3 is the sweet spot, maybe hexblade 5 . New group and I don't know how far we intend to go or how fast we'll advance.