PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Empowered, a subclass inspired by DBZ technqiues

Protato
2018-03-01, 04:45 PM
Some Monks are taught tranquility, poverty, and religious matters. Others, however, prefer using the spiritual force of Ki to better fight against others. While many brave Monks use their powers responsibly, still others treat their powers as a way to bring harm.

Destructo Disc: When selecting this Tradition at 3rd level, you gain the ability to launch a self-guided disc of Ki energy at a target. As an action, you may spend 2 Ki Points to create a Destructo Disc and throw it out to a range of 30ft. The Spirit Ball deals 4d4+2 Force damage to one enemy, and hits a target automatically. By spending more Ki Points, you increase the amount of damage done by 1d4+1 (i.e spending 3 Ki Points results in a Destructo Disc dealing 5d6+3 damage).

Ki Bolt: Additionally at 3rd level, you may expel minute amounts of ki to launch a ranged Ki Bolt attack attack with a range of twice your movement speed. The attack doesn't use any Ki Points is considered a ranged spell attack that deals 1d4 damage, uses an Attack action, and does not scale with Monk Unarmed Attack damage. After using Ki Bolt, you may not use any Bonus Actions the round Ki Bolt was used. (Honestly, this is mostly here for flavor, and may be ignored. In terms of precident, I figured Open Hand gave you 3 things you can do with Flurry of Blows at L3, so a different subclass giving two L3 options doesn't seem like it's too much to me, but I could be doing something wrong.)

Wolf-Fang's Fist: At 6th level, you have learned to charge Ki through your body and use it in devastating physical attacks. By spending 1 Ki Point, you may add your Wisdom modifier to Unarmed Strike damage. This bonus damage lasts your entire turn.

*Z-Vanish: At 11th level, you can transpose yourself through time and space. You may cast Misty Step as a reaction, but not as a bonus action, by spending two Ki Points. When casting Misty Step in this manner, any attacks, spells, or effects that target your AC or require a save have disadvantage imposed against them if you leave the effected area.

Devil's Piercing Light Murder Gun: At 17th Level, your mastery over Ki allows for a large, powerful beam of spiraling Ki to be launched from your hands with a range of 100ft. long and 5ft. wide. When using an action to attack in this manner spend four Ki Point to launch the beam, and the target must make a Dexterity saving throw. Upon a failed save, they take 12d10 damage, or half if they succeed the saving throw. After using this attack, you cannot make any other actions, reactions, bonus actions, or movements for the rest of your turn.

*I made a thread asking about Z-Vanishing as a Feat a bit ago, thanks to Lalliman for giving input!

JNAProductions
2018-03-01, 08:16 PM
Special Beam Cannon is too much. 12d10 (save for half) is 66 (33) damage. Compare to three unarmed attacks, which are 3d10+15, or 31.5 (0) damage. And that apparently has no Ki cost, only an action cost, and can hit multiple targets.

Protato
2018-03-01, 09:42 PM
Special Beam Cannon is too much. 12d10 (save for half) is 66 (33) damage. Compare to three unarmed attacks, which are 3d10+15, or 31.5 (0) damage. And that apparently has no Ki cost, only an action cost, and can hit multiple targets.

I was worried about the attack being too strong but I figured it had a fairly steep Ki cost (assuming you use Ki a lot), and you couldn't do anything else on your turn. Still, if the attack is too powerful what else could I replace it with? And furthermore, what about the rest of the subclass? I'm a bit worried that Z-Vanish might not be balanced.

JNAProductions
2018-03-01, 09:47 PM
I was worried about the attack being too strong but I figured it had a fairly steep Ki cost (assuming you use Ki a lot), and you couldn't do anything else on your turn. Still, if the attack is too powerful what else could I replace it with? And furthermore, what about the rest of the subclass? I'm a bit worried that Z-Vanish might not be balanced.

Eh. For two ki points, it's good, but nothing broken.

And Special Beam Cannon has, as written right now, NO ki cost. It makes it so you can't move or anything AFTERWARDS, but it's so damn potent that it doesn't matter.

Protato
2018-03-01, 09:53 PM
Eh. For two ki points, it's good, but nothing broken.

And Special Beam Cannon has, as written right now, NO ki cost. It makes it so you can't move or anything AFTERWARDS, but it's so damn potent that it doesn't matter.

Ah, sorry. i fixed it. It was meant to use 4 Ki points. Anything else to critique really?

JNAProductions
2018-03-01, 10:13 PM
Ah, sorry. i fixed it. It was meant to use 4 Ki points. Anything else to critique really?

I'd want it tested, but it doesn't FEEL broken.

It gets the JNA stamp of "Probably okay"! :P

ShadowSandbag
2018-03-02, 10:22 AM
Overall it looks good, but Wolf Fang Fist seems a little weak. I think I would take chance to stun with Stunning Strike over 5 extra damage max for the same Ki cost. Z-Vanish seems fine, its similar enough to the Shadow Monk Level 6 ability without the shadow restrictions but with a Ki cost.

Protato
2018-03-02, 01:50 PM
Overall it looks good, but Wolf Fang Fist seems a little weak. I think I would take chance to stun with Stunning Strike over 5 extra damage max for the same Ki cost. Z-Vanish seems fine, its similar enough to the Shadow Monk Level 6 ability without the shadow restrictions but with a Ki cost.

If it's a bit weak, what do you recommend? Maybe it could be Wis mod plus Proficiency? Or is that just too much now?

ShadowSandbag
2018-03-02, 01:53 PM
If it's a bit weak, what do you recommend? Maybe it could be Wis mod plus Proficiency? Or is that just too much now?

I'm not really sure. Maybe some sort of always-on effect or something that doesn't cost Ki? o far every ability costs Ki to use, which is fine, but it might be nice to have at least one thing you can use without it.

Protato
2018-03-02, 04:10 PM
I'm not really sure. Maybe some sort of always-on effect or something that doesn't cost Ki? o far every ability costs Ki to use, which is fine, but it might be nice to have at least one thing you can use without it.
Alright, makes sense. I'll get rid of the Ki cost. Also, should I change the names of the attacks? Also, how might I represent a standard Ki blast? Or would that be too many features, and also would that cut into the Sun Soul Monk's abilities too much? Finally, should I change the names of the attacks to be more generic or no?

JNAProductions
2018-03-02, 04:27 PM
Alright, makes sense. I'll get rid of the Ki cost. Also, should I change the names of the attacks? Also, how might I represent a standard Ki blast? Or would that be too many features, and also would that cut into the Sun Soul Monk's abilities too much? Finally, should I change the names of the attacks to be more generic or no?

+Wisdom to damage is too much for NO cost. I'd say one ki point to add it for the whole turn.

ShadowSandbag
2018-03-02, 04:44 PM
+Wisdom to damage is too much for NO cost. I'd say one ki point to add it for the whole turn.

I think that's the best solution. That's going to be worthwhile since that is potentially an extra 20 damage if you hit 2 attacks +flurry of blows.

I don't think you need to add a normal Ki blast and the names seem fine, though I might change the last one.
EDIT: I would also change Wolf-Fang Fist to say "This lasts until the start of your next turn" for clarity.

Protato
2018-03-02, 04:53 PM

I changed the cost of Wolf-Fang's Fist to add Ki to you unarmed strikes the entire turn. And there's no Ki Blast. Perhaps Spirit Ball could also have it be that for free you can launch a 1d6+Wis ranged spell attack that can go out to 15ft, but isn't a guaranteed hit and it uses one of you attack actions? Could that work with revision or should it not be present at all?