PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys. Can yall help me with this Class Creation?

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 01:28 AM
Hello there thanks for your time. I am currently working on my first 5e Class creation. I'm trying to make this a viable class that is not OP. The link to the page which is on DandDwiki will be below. Any tips or suggestion or question are welcomed. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Viking_3/1/18 a lot of the details are not 100% ironed out right now this is just a rough draft essentially

TheYell
2018-03-02, 08:06 AM
It seems incomplete but OP.

As I understand it, the choice of a hit die reflects the focus of the character up to the point they start adventuring. Physical characters get a beefier hit die, more inwardly-focused characters get a lesser die.

You've got a spellcaster with a D12 hit die. That just seems unbalanced given the basic mechanics of the game.

You want to have some archtypes going, I would give this guy a D10 and make one of the archtypes a very physically minded fellow with no spells and temporary HP that increases by level. That would mimic having a barbarian's hit die.

Gaining resistances for berserking is OP compared to casters. You should make a magekilling archtype and have that be a higher power he can get.

You don't give examples of spells he can cast. I'd again have a spellcasting archtype and let him trade that ability for other potential abilities. I'd also say anybody going berserk cannot concentrate on a spell.

A purely optional suggestion is a Fated Hero archtype who gets a dragon's Legendary Advantage a number of times per long rest equal to his level divided by four, minimum 1; but must choose a creature type from the Ranger's favored enemy list. The Fated Hero always has the disadvantage compared to that creature type. Every creature has its weird and the Fated Hero is doomed to be vanquished towards the end of the story...

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude I know you are trying to help but havae you looked at the wiki or just trolling me? there is no spell casting in this class.

TheYell
2018-03-02, 10:59 AM
OK I was confused by the presence of a blank spell list category. A D12 seems legit then if he has no spellcasting.

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 11:11 AM
Yea no that is just from part of the wiki creation guide lol. No this class is not going to be a spell caster class. Vikings never really cast spells they did more rituals then anything (I know it along the same lines)

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-02, 11:13 AM
It does appear to be a strict upgrade to a barbarian. For that reason it's overpowered. It's also very fiddly.

My suggestion is to make a barbarian subclass instead of a whole new class. That way you are less likely to go overboard.

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 11:16 AM
its suppose to be a hybrid between fighter and Barbarian

Caelic
2018-03-02, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't make berserk an overall class feature; not all Vikings wore the bear shirt. Seems like it should be an archetype ability.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-02, 11:37 AM
Adding the charisma modifier to attack rolls breaks bonded accuracy. The Jarl stuff is bananas. You've added fighter features without removing anything of equal value.

Do you have something against multi classing? That seems the best way to get a balanced fighter barbarian.

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 12:11 PM
NOthing against multi-classing. Don't forget this is also just a homebrew. I am coming up with this to playtest and make adjustments accordingly

Caelic
2018-03-02, 12:17 PM
Whoa. Yeah, agreed; FAR too many high hit bonuses. There's a reason the biggest attack bonus in the PHB is +2 for Archery, and that +2 is considered strong. Both the Charisma to attack and the bonus the Jarl confers are just too high. Consider that two 15th level Jarls could (while berserk) each sport a +11 to attack rolls, above and beyond their normal bonuses, for a probable overall attack bonus of +20 or +21. That's more than double what a typical 15th level character will have, not taking into account magical weapons.

Tiadoppler
2018-03-02, 12:55 PM
I agree with what others have said.

The to-hit bonuses are way too much. The aura of berserker rage prevents people from being intimidating? I'd suggest removing debuffs and accuracy bonus from the aura, and making it only do "+1 or +1d4 to damage rolls of strength based weapon attacks" or something along those lines. I'd suggest that the aura use the Concentration mechanic rather than having it's own set of rules. The character will be high constitution anyway, and should be able to auto-succeed on Concentration checks up to 20 damage by mid-game.

The Marauder concept seems like a Barbarian with a dip into Fighter. The Skald concept seems like a Barbarian with a dip into Bard. The overall Viking concept doesn't seem distinct enough to warrant its own class with separate archetypes. I'd suggest making two different Prestige Classes: Marauder and Skald. Marauder could do something interesting for Barbarian/Fighters and Skald could grant the aura to Barbarian/Bards.

Throne12
2018-03-02, 01:55 PM
Hello there thanks for your time. I am currently working on my first 5e Class creation. I'm trying to make this a viable class that is not OP. The link to the page which is on DandDwiki will be below. Any tips or suggestion or question are welcomed. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Viking_3/1/18 a lot of the details are not 100% ironed out right now this is just a rough draft essentially

Umm why are you making this class?

Ohdin
2018-03-02, 03:00 PM
I have changed the table to show how many times you can beserk. I also put a duration of 1min on to it. (Simlar to Barbarians Rage) but as I was looking I and I believe someone said this. Moving beserk into Muarder archtype as an ability. That is a possibility as well I was p;aying with

bid
2018-03-02, 09:36 PM
IDS and DW at level 1. OP crap.

Seafarer
2018-03-03, 01:08 AM
Hmph.

Go fight Tyler Durden (http://theangrygm.com/why-are-you-doing-this/); then, if you win, come back and we'll talk.

As others have mentioned, this looks too powerful. In addition, it's obvious you haven't considered the thematic space you're fitting this into. "Angry fighting man" is taken. If I were doing this, I'd make it a barbarian subclass with the flavour of "seaborne reaver" - that's what I think of when I think "Viking".

So, yeah. Do it properly, or not at all.

(Also, this probably belongs in the homebrew forum, not here.)

Nettlekid
2018-03-03, 05:36 PM
So YOU'RE where they come from.

EDIT: After actually reading it over, there's nothing I would say about the content that hasn't already been said. Overpowered, overshadows existing classes, poorly planned, etc. What I'll say then is: What kind of overconfidence do you have that makes you think it's a good idea to design your own class when you're not even adhering to the core concepts of the game or the patterns set up by the developers? Subtracting 2 from attack rolls for oversized weapons instead of rolling with disadvantage, adding an extra ability score to attack rolls at all, it's like you'd never SEEN 5e before you decided "I can do it better." What unconscionable hubris! "Saving Throws: Strength and Constitution (Or Charisma)" "Choose two from Athletics(Or Acrobats)" There is NO other class in the game that is written that way. Why would you write that, with those little "Hey here's a choice, pick one" add-ons? Put your foot down! And for that matter, learn to spell, for Pete's sake. Acrobatics. Archetype. Shield. Traveler. Berserk, the name of your signature ability is spelled wrong in its own section! How could you think for one moment that any of this was respectable, let alone good?

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-04, 01:41 AM
I would suggest a Viking barbarian path.

Maybe something like:

3rd Level
Viking Discipline. While raging you gain a +1 on weapon attack rolls if you choose not use Reckless Attack
(This is meant to give a bonus similar to a Fighting Style without stepping on fighter toes too much.)
Mailed Warrior. You may treat chain mail as medium armor for purposes of using Barbarian Features. Your AC remains unmodified by dexterity while wearing chain mail.
(This is practically a ribbon as scale armor with sufficient Dexterity gives the same AC)

6th Level
Sea Farer
You always know which way is north while traveling in a boat
You always know the number of hours left before the next sunrise or
sunset.

10th Level
Fearsome Warrior
You can make an Intimidation attempt as a bonus action while raging

14th Level
Song of the Jarl
While raging you can sing loudly to inspire your comrades. If you do so, friendly creatures within 30 feet of you gain a + 1d4 bonus on weapon attack rolls.

Still possibly overpowered but perhaps a step in the right direction.

Arkhios
2018-03-04, 06:12 AM
Having done a similar project (combining Warlord from a "hybrid" between fighter and bard), there's one advice that I would emphasize over anything else: If some mechanic does not have precedency in the system, be VERY careful with designing it.

Keep in mind that homebrewing anything that could be considered balanced towards the official rules requires a decent "Rules Mastery"/Understanding of the game in question. It's great that you have ambition to create something of your own, but that's not enough. If you want your products to be taken seriously, study the system — thoroughly.

Ohdin
2018-03-10, 07:02 PM
So YOU'RE where they come from.

EDIT: After actually reading it over, there's nothing I would say about the content that hasn't already been said. Overpowered, overshadows existing classes, poorly planned, etc. What I'll say then is: What kind of overconfidence do you have that makes you think it's a good idea to design your own class when you're not even adhering to the core concepts of the game or the patterns set up by the developers? Subtracting 2 from attack rolls for oversized weapons instead of rolling with disadvantage, adding an extra ability score to attack rolls at all, it's like you'd never SEEN 5e before you decided "I can do it better." What unconscionable hubris! "Saving Throws: Strength and Constitution (Or Charisma)" "Choose two from Athletics(Or Acrobats)" There is NO other class in the game that is written that way. Why would you write that, with those little "Hey here's a choice, pick one" add-ons? Put your foot down! And for that matter, learn to spell, for Pete's sake. Acrobatics. Archetype. Shield. Traveler. Berserk, the name of your signature ability is spelled wrong in its own section! How could you think for one moment that any of this was respectable, let alone good?

First off who are you to Criticize me the way you are criticizing me? This is just merely a rough Draft Looking for Ideas. This is what I came up with now, like a typical Rough Draft, you have people proofread it and help/show where corrections can be made. Not insult the person for trying something out. You sir are what we call ******* and it seems like you aren't getting enough **** so why don't you sit your grumpy lil ass down on a dildo machine and STFU