PDA

View Full Version : Drink of the Gods

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-28, 11:12 PM
Ok, now that I've got your attention, we can get on with things (which has nothing to do with Gods, but does have something to do with beverages of the
hot sort).

Anywho, as I was waiting for the water for my tea to heat up just now, I just got to thinking who else on here is a tea drinker and what kinds do they perfer. Personally, I prefer coffee, but usually get it when I'm out and about/on my way to work rather than make it at home. At least that's been the case as of late. As for coffee, I prefer a darker roast, and if I do make it at home, I use a french press. I think you get a more flavorful than brewing it with a pot (no filter so it's much stronger). As for tea, I've been making that a lot at home this summer. I much prefer black teas (Earl Grey or English Breakfast in particular). Not a huge green tea fan, as I find it very bitter, and aftertaste. Although Camomile definitely seems to help me get to sleep, although I really don't like it except when I put honey in with it, which I started doing with all tea I drink about two months ago, and love it.

(Now we don't have to limit it just to this, if you've got a favorite coffee shop, local or chain you like to go to, we can talk about that too. Or anything else related to coffee and/or tea).

Vaynor
2007-08-28, 11:17 PM
I'm not quite sure the gods drank tea..

SurlySeraph
2007-08-28, 11:17 PM
I like Starbucks coffee. Especially mochas. *cringes in anticipation of the beating he will receive from coffee purists*

Brickwall
2007-08-28, 11:19 PM
HOW DARE YOU NOT INCLUDE HOT COCOA! :smallfurious:

Okay, actually, I mostly drink coffee. Tea when I want something relaxing. Hot chocolate is for warming up after being out in the cold. :smallcool:

EDIT: Hey, man, mochas rock. I drink a mocha frappe every time I shop because the grocery store has a convenient Starbucks. And anyone who wants to tell me off is welcome to. They know what'll happen to them.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-28, 11:21 PM
I like green tea. I prefer it without anything in it, and prefer milk (never cream) and sugar in my black teas (Earl Grey is my favourite there). Chai tea is also very good. Brew with milk, but no sugar.

I usually prefer loose leaf at the bottom of the pot as opposed to bags. Harder to clean, but tastes better. I'll always like it very strong, no matter what kind it is.

With coffee, I'm much, much less pretentious. Large double-double at Tim Horton's. (In other words, regular brew with two sugars and two creams) :smallcool: Although I like the occasional latte. *shrugs*

2007-08-28, 11:22 PM
I"m not a huge fan of Starbucks coffee. Now I'll drink it if that's the only coffee shop around, but I just don't think they've got the highest quality. As far as chains go, I prefer Caribou Coffee (Grumble: the closest one to me currently is an hour's drive: grumble). They have great coffee/other drinks, and a great atmosphere to sit and chat or work in. Much more than any other chain in my opinion. I spent many a Sunday nights after Mass/Catholic Student Society meetings going to Caribou to talk about whatever with whomever was going in college.

zeratul
2007-08-28, 11:28 PM
I love coffee, any form or flavor. I am rather parcial to frappuccinoes....

Ego Slayer
2007-08-28, 11:29 PM
I usually drink green tea (nothing in it). I love jasmine green tea. Black tea, too, but not as often, with half and half, and, if I'm not feeling lazy, a little honey or maple syrup.

Usually only have coffee once or twice a week. Mochas are the best, but... well, so it anything else you could possibly put coffee into.:smalltongue:

I do like Caribou Coffee, but I rarely go to one. Starbucks... meh. They do not live up to my standards. I've got a favorite, local shop that's five-times better.

tannish2
2007-08-28, 11:55 PM
1. tea pwns you (especially anything with mint, or plain black tea.. possibly with sugar)
2. starbucks is evil, besides not having small meduim OR large anything, and serving coffee, they are evil.... 6 in the same shopping center... THEY KILLED OUR DAIRY QUEEN JAMBA JUICE AND um... something else i dont remember DAMMIT!... not to mention infesting both the target AND the grocery stores seriously, how can they do that overcharge so damn much and still stay in business?
3. but good, filtered (or mountainy) water.... that cant be beat, it doesnt need expensive flavor packets, it doesnt need beans in it, it doesnt need leaves in it, it doesnt even need sugar salt chlorine or cheese(in fact, its better without them) its just water (and the right rocks) and it tastes better than anything else that could possibly be liquified. and please... dont mention that one thing, because thats just a cheap shot.

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-28, 11:59 PM
I prefer tea over coffee. And milk-tea over tea, and tapioca milk-tea over milk tea.

Lychee tea is my favorite. Whatever Chinese store my dad goes too....

Setra
2007-08-29, 12:01 AM
I technically drink tea.

And by that I mean I just get something that tastes like tea, then proceed to drink it cold, with lots of sugar.

I don't like Coffee.

B-Man
2007-08-29, 12:05 AM
Timmy's coffee is my favourite coffee! I will except no other when I'm in public. Starbucks overcharges and Second Cup's small coffee is larger than their medium.

B-Man's daily ritual of caffeine/sugar intake: Coffee in the morning (served double-double or black with two sugars)
Irn Bru at lunch/after 3PM
French Vanilla tea after dinner/after 9PM

I do like the occasional espresso or café mocha in the morning.

2007-08-29, 12:05 AM
I do love a good glass of iced tea. Straight, no sugar, no lemon, like all good northerners in the US like is...the right way. Forget that sweet tea junk.

Midnight Son
2007-08-29, 12:09 AM
All must bow down before the greatness of Yerba Mate! Also, Horchata is delicious.

Coffee tastes like yak piss.

Teas can be good, though I prefer the herbal stuff over the more traditional English or Black teas. Peppermint tea with cinnamon is excellent chilled.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 12:15 AM
Coffee tastes like yak piss.

This coming from someone who drinks beer? :smallconfused: I can see just not liking coffee, but that specific comparison is pretty bad. See, beer has the same consistency and color of yak piss, plus the urine-like flavor. Coffee is hot, black, and tastes like something you shouldn't have picked from the garden. I happen to like coffee, but I am aware of why some people don't like the taste. You just happen to have gotten it wrong. :smallsigh:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-29, 12:17 AM
I've forgotten to mention white tea... good stuff.

All must bow down before the greatness of Yerba Mate!
Ooh, yeah... I haven't had that in awhile. I've still got some, I think. Maybe I'll have to make some tomorrow.

Teas can be good, though I prefer the herbal stuff over the more traditional English or Black teas. Peppermint tea with cinnamon is excellent chilled.
Ahh, yeah, I have a couple herbal teas I really like. Tangerine, and peach flavored ones. Mmm... Love peppermint tea, too.

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-29, 12:19 AM
I never wanted to get into drinking coffee. To me, its like bitter bean broth. I mean, you boil the beans into a black liquid broth. No thanks. :smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-08-29, 12:20 AM
I like my tea how I like my women.

Green.

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-29, 12:23 AM

Green.

Green women? :smallconfused:

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 12:26 AM
Green women? :smallconfused:

Psst. This is a D&D forum. Don't act surprised.

I also like my tea like I like my women. Hot, scented delicately, and on my lap as I catch up with my Scrubs recordings. :smallamused:

Serpentine
2007-08-29, 01:44 AM
I don't like tea or coffee, and that makes me sad :smallfrown: Well, I suppose technically I do like one tea - chai - but only when it's made just with milk. Mmm... I should get another packet of that. Hot frothy chocolate and warm Milos yay!

So... I like my tea like I like my men, white, exotic and full of spice, or sweet and brown? :smallconfused:

Portent
2007-08-29, 02:13 AM
I'm a fan of chai, jasmine, and green tea, although I haven't actually tried any other sorts of tea (I will say that Earl Grey smells like garbage to me). I utterly despite the smell of coffee, as it makes me nauseated. I prefer my tea to have medium to strong strength, although making it too strong sours the taste. I rather like brewing up a pot of tea, adding a thin layer of honey to the bottom of my cup, and then pouring the tea in, letting the honey melt into the tea. Tastes great! Though not really filling.

I recently discovered aloe vera drink, and I declare that to be the nectar of the gods. I wish my car was out of the shop already so I could drive to the Asian food market and buy some...

Castaras
2007-08-29, 02:15 AM
Don't like Tea, don't like coffee. :smalltongue:

*Runs from the pitchforks and burning torches*

Vuzzmop
2007-08-29, 02:17 AM
I like Starbucks coffee. Especially mochas. *cringes in anticipation of the beating he will receive from coffee purists*

I'd give you an internet punch, but Starbucks invented the Frappe, so I forgive you and your money hungry corporation.

I drink tea, but I don't drink Earl Grey. Without lemon, it just tastes like dishwater. I don't actually drink tea or coffee that often though, caffeine has the same affect per dosage as cocaine, so I feel like a socially accepted stoner.

horseboy
2007-08-29, 02:41 AM
I hate coffee. It tastes like somebody burnt water then strained it through an old, wool gym sock.

I don't mind tea, and have taken to blending my own. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes I feel really goofy. (I must be kept away from the blueberry concentrate)

SweetLikeLemons
2007-08-29, 02:44 AM
I don't drink nearly as much coffee as I used to, but it is still good stuff. Except for Starbucks coffee. It always tastes burnt. I miss having Caribou Coffee for all my overpriced corporate coffee needs. For some reason we don't have any where I live. You'd think with that name there would be franchises all over Alaska, but, alas, I must live without my Caribou Coolers.

When I make coffee at home, I make cold press, which is brewed with cold water so it is much less bitter, and retains more of the essential oils so it tastes much better. Basically, you put the grounds into cold water and let them steep for 8 to 12 hours, and then filter it to remove the grounds. It makes this sort of coffee syrup, which is several times stronger then regular coffee, and you can keep it in the fridge and just mix it with hot water whenever you want a cup of coffee. It does make the entire apartment smell like coffee while it is steeping, but I don't mind.

So I guess I like my coffee like I like my men: Cold, complex, and slightly pretentious.

Tea? Tea is good too. I like Constant Comment.

Vonriel
2007-08-29, 02:48 AM
It was coming. You all knew it. You had to feel it as soon as a thread discussing coffee was made.

I like my coffee like I like my women, covered in beeees!

Really, though, I absolutely cannot stand coffee. The taste, the smell both grate at me. Tea, though, tea is decent enough. My experience with hot teas is, sadly, limited, but I will fix that in the future.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-29, 05:27 AM
It's all about hot chocolate. And not that heat the milk up stuff. I mean the powder that you just add water to.

As for coffee I love the smell but hate the taste.

I like tea but then again I'm english so I have to.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-29, 05:44 AM
I absolutely love the smell of coffee, but can't stand the stuff. Oh, the irony :smallwink: I have been known to drink it on occasion (when I really need help getting up, for instance), but when I do, there's so much sugar in it the drink tastes like candy, not coffee.

I will drink tea every once in a while, but I'm pretty picky about it - either loose leaf jasmine tea or orange pekoe with honey.

Green.

You like your women when they're feeling naseous? :smalltongue:

It's all about hot chocolate. And not that heat the milk up stuff. I mean the powder that you just add water to.

As for coffee I love the smell but hate the taste.

I like tea but then again I'm english so I have to.

Bah, it's not real hot chocolate unless it's made with milk. Just doesn't taste the same (I did a blind taste test with my friends once to prove that I can tell the difference).

Ashtar
2007-08-29, 05:53 AM
I drink tea, everything from black, green or white, my current favorites are "Silk road" a green tea blend with bergamote and jasmin and "Little buddah" a green tea with Lotus. Although I don't really like roasted teas.

I also like coffe... real coffee, not the usual sock juice served in america. I have a small italian coffee maker which I fill with my own blend of beans I grind just before making my coffee.

And finally... Hot chocolate!

smellie_hippie
2007-08-29, 06:02 AM

Here's your internet beating. Star-sucks is horrible. As a coffee purist, I can honestly say that they BURN THEIR BEANS! Their mochas and frappas and grappas and chappas and whatever other appas they have are very popular because the additives make it very palatable.

*gets off soap box*

I brew at home, and always make sure to grind beans before brewing. I try and avoid purchasing grounds, because some much of the flavor has already been lost from sitting on the shelf.

My recent pleasure has been the independent coffee house about 100 yards from my office. The Elizabethton Coffee Company. *warm hugs* They have a roaster right in the store. I can go there in the morning, and get coffee that has literally only existed for 20 minutes! You can't get any fresher than that!

As for brews... Ethiopian Yrgacheff, Jamaican Blue Mountain, French Vanilla. I find the French Roast a little too dark for me. Oh, and yes, I take my coffee with cream and sugar.

Hot and with a spoon in them! :smallamused:

Wraithy
2007-08-29, 06:09 AM
I'm wierd with my tea, I like it strong, no milk, and alot of sugar.
hot chocolate isn't hot chocolate without milk

AslanCross
2007-08-29, 07:15 AM

*cringes with Seraph*

I spend so much money on Starbucks that my dad says I'm practically a stockholder. I prefer their Frappuccinos, though. I tend to prefer cold drinks because of the blazing weather.

I do brew my own "espresso" as well, using a stovetop pot. It's not real espresso and is pretty darn bitter, but it's serviceable when mixed into a cup of chocolate milk. Or splashed over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Mmm. Affogato.

Mountain_Faerie
2007-08-29, 07:56 AM
Oh, for a cup of coffee...

Hippie didn't make coffee this morning, so I will be drinking tea. I typically drink coffee, since I have my own barista-ish hippie in the house. On the days that the Elizabethton Coffee Company calls too loudly, I make tea.

I like my Barry's black tea with milk only. I will probably have that this morning. I make green tea with Oolong and Jasmine over ice - unsweetened. Herbal tea, chai tea, black tea are all tasty.

I prefer all my tea unsweetened, which is unusual, since I was born and raised in the south. Most southern restaurants over steep their tea, so when it is unsweetened, it is bitter. I usually try the unsweetened and bump it to half and half to get past the bitterness.

I don't care for Earl Grey, although I recently heard it was good hot with lemon. Any thoughts?

As for chain coffee shops, I prefer local over burnt, overpriced, covered in chocolate and non-fat whipped topping (to cover the taste of burnt :smallyuk: ). When forced to go to said burnt coffee shop, I get tea. Although, I haven't set foot in one in over a year. :smallbiggrin:

JellyPooga
2007-08-29, 09:45 AM
mmmm...tea...*drools*

I can't do without my tea. If I don't drink at least 2 pints of tea every day, I get the shakes and migranes.

This is why I drink the cheapest tea I can get hold of...it might not taste all that nice, but it gets me my fix. I drink it very strong, white with no sugar (sugar in tea is blasphemy in my book).

If I get a choice to have nice tea, I'll take Earl Grey (black, no sugar) or (if that's not available) just black tea with a slice of lemon. I quite like green teas, but I don't have them very often because they don't get me my fix. Herbal teas are nice (sometimes), but scarcity of good ones makes my drinking of them infrequent.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-29, 09:50 AM
As for chain coffee shops, I prefer local over burnt, overpriced, covered in chocolate and non-fat whipped topping (to cover the taste of burnt :smallyuk: ). When forced to go to said burnt coffee shop, I get tea. Although, I haven't set foot in one in over a year. :smallbiggrin:

...and that's one of the many reasons that I love you! :smallbiggrin:

It's usually only one morning that I don't make coffee at home.... :smallfrown:

Mephibosheth
2007-08-29, 09:57 AM
I will admit that I don't really like coffee all that much. I much prefer tea and hot chocolate.

I learned to drink tea in India, which means that I like a little bit of black tea with my milk and sugar, and perhaps a few other spices thrown in (sorry JellyPooga). It's impossible to get tea in India that isn't prepared this way, and it's soooo delicious. Even when it's 100 degrees outside.

Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin, where no one makes tea like this. As an inexperienced tea-drinker, I'm still experimenting with the proper ratio of tea to milk and sugar. It's still good, but I miss the sketchy little tea shack on the corner.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 10:06 AM
Their mochas and frappas and grappas and chappas and whatever other appas they have are very popular because the additives make it very palatable.

Oh, right, because I'm sure you eschew foods with additives in them. Like EVERYTHING. You don't even breathe air if there's an air freshener in the room. :smallannoyed:

I love my regular coffee as much as the next coffe drinker, but why can't I like sweetened ice coffee with chocolate stuff in it? It's basically a coffee ice cream milkshake slathered in chocolate and whipped cream. Mmmm...

So that is why I hope your high horse is really chafing your thighs and groin. Starbucks stuff being overpriced and artificial doesn't make it bad. Don't fall victim to the "anti-corporate" mentality that pretty much just sets you apart as somebody who has to actually try not to be like normal people. Wait, why am I asking this of a forumer called "smellie_hippie"? :smalltongue:

2007-08-29, 10:20 AM
This coming from someone who drinks beer?

Some of us happen to like beer too. But I don't drink what you would call "yak piss". If it comes from the big US 3 (Miller, Coors and Bud), I don't touch it. I actually like good beer. Something like Smithwicks is what I prefer.

AdrianoIank
2007-08-29, 10:58 AM
All must bow down before the greatness of Yerba Mate!

*bows* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimarrão)
Failing that, I favor green and black teas, without sweeteners. Sometimes I´ll mix with fruit juice and, less often, salt. Don´t ask.
Further down the line comes coffee.

Eldpollard
2007-08-29, 11:26 AM
Today as the water was boiling for my tea I saw a pint glass. So I thought to myself tea ... pint glass hmm. So today I had a pint of tea. With milk but no sugar.

As for coffee, don't get me started. I love the stuff. Some would say too much, but then I froth at the mouth and they back off:smalltongue:. I have mine in a cafetiere. Then again with milk and no sugar. A few times I have drunk so much coffee (and without wanting to sound vulgar... well any more than usual) my urine has smelled like it. This surely is not healthy. Pfft, sleep is for the weak.

I'm not a fan of starbucks. Ordering there seems to be along the lines of "Hi, I'd like the mass produced coffee with extra pretension please." It's the starbuck speak that gets me. Why the hell can't I just say large!

Hoggy
2007-08-29, 11:38 AM
Tetley's, pot brewed, milk, one sugar. Sorted.

Or Nescafe, milk, one sugar. Sorted again.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-29, 11:43 AM

Yes. Or PG tips.

When we can get it I like to use loose tea leaves, and make the tea the old-fashioned way.

Coffee is evil.

Chris the Pontifex
2007-08-29, 12:09 PM

Nescafe? what are you? German? If so boonencafe (sp?) FTW! I only drink nescafe when I'm camping and its impossible to bring a percolator. Its filth but still a better source of caffeine than energy drinks

The Coffee Company is my favorite coffee place (not sure they even exist outside of Amsterdam). Although they are becoming more and more Starbuckslike, they still serve better coffee. I usually just have a large espresso or a frozen cappuccino, which is basically just a frappe.

I like good coffee, I love the machines at my workplace that grind the beans for you. I can really enjoy a good espresso, but somehow I still have a senseo at home. Theyre practical and cheap, and if you get the right pads will even make coffee that you wont throw up instantly. But still, how I wish I had a good 18bar espresso machine... one that doesnt brake down all the time. (like the 50 euro plastic crap machine my parents used to have)

For green tea I like the Chinese gunpowder kind. And any good black tea is fine with me, as long as its no Pickwick (or similar).

All ye herbal drinkers, hail the Celestial Seasonings!

Mountain_Faerie
2007-08-29, 12:19 PM
I love my regular coffee as much as the next coffe drinker, but why can't I like sweetened ice coffee with chocolate stuff in it? It's basically a coffee ice cream milkshake slathered in chocolate and whipped cream. Mmmm...

So that is why I hope your high horse is really chafing your thighs and groin. Starbucks stuff being overpriced and artificial doesn't make it bad.

No, Starbucks being burnt makes it bad. We prefer not to pay extra for that over-roasted charcoal quality. :smallamused:

There is nothing wrong with liking sweetened ice coffee with chocolate stuff and whipped cream. It's wonderful... when the coffee isn't burnt. We have tried Starbucks on several occasions. We have friends who drink, so we have gone with them and given it a fair chance. But burnt is burnt. I'd rather go to the local coffee shop and get all the chocolaty goodness they have to offer. Or have Hippie pull out the cappuccino maker and make our own yumminess... :smallwink:

v: Sounds great to me. Raises her own mug of hot cocoa. "Cheers!"

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 12:25 PM
No, Starbucks being burnt makes it bad. We prefer not to pay extra for that over-roasted charcoal quality. :smallamused:

Did you know some people will catch their marshmallows on fire while roasting them just to get a nice, burnt flavor?

Oh, sorry, just thinking aloud here, really. Obviously this has no pertinence whatsoever to the topic at hand. None at all. Really. Nope.

Although if I'm going to be having a hot drink with chocolate in it, it will be real hot choclate, with a milk base. And marshmallows. Lots of 'em.

Quincunx
2007-08-29, 12:34 PM
Question for the knowledgeable: What's the capacity of a 'pot' of tea and a standard teacup? If a pint, please specify British or U.S. imperial measures (British is the larger). My preferred Hot Drinks Mugs are 4 dL capacity, far too large--a relic of being American, maybe--and I'd like a frame of reference vs. "real" teacups.

Robberbaron
2007-08-29, 12:39 PM
I mostly skimmed the thread, some people brought up hot chocolate, but I don't think I saw anyone mention the only other liquid I drink hot, apple cider. Can't stand coffee or tea, but I do enjoy a good hot chocolate or apple cider.

Trog
2007-08-29, 12:42 PM
*Wanders into the thread*

Trog likes Trog's coffee like Trog likes Trog's women: Strong and hot and in a cool looking metallic container.

*Refills shiny metal thermos with Jamaican Blue Mountain, black, and waders off sipping*

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 12:46 PM
I mostly skimmed the thread, some people brought up hot chocolate, but I don't think I saw anyone mention the only other liquid I drink hot, apple cider. Can't stand coffee or tea, but I do enjoy a good hot chocolate or apple cider.

Maybe that's because hot apple cider would make me actually, literally vomit? Seriously, if I ingested it, I would have such projectile vomiting that it would deal lethal damage. It's not the taste, it would actually produce a visceral reaction of such utter unpleasantness that it would be unsafe for me to even put in my mouth.

I'm not exaggerating for effect. I'm really not. That would do such a thing to me. :smalleek: :smallyuk:

Robberbaron
2007-08-29, 01:05 PM
My condolences to you, I like it hot or cold, usually just drink it cold, mostly cause I've never made it hot, friends parents did for parties, and they did a good job.

heretic
2007-08-29, 01:29 PM
Coffee tastes like crap and tea tastes like water gone slightly past it's time.

I drink skim milk and water.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 01:45 PM
My condolences to you, I like it hot or cold, usually just drink it cold, mostly cause I've never made it hot, friends parents did for parties, and they did a good job.

Oh, it's fine cold. I love cold cider. The colder the better.

Eldpollard
2007-08-29, 02:18 PM
Question for the knowledgeable: What's the capacity of a 'pot' of tea and a standard teacup? If a pint, please specify British or U.S. imperial measures (British is the larger). My preferred Hot Drinks Mugs are 4 dL capacity, far too large--a relic of being American, maybe--and I'd like a frame of reference vs. "real" teacups.

I don't know if there is a "standard" teacup size, or teapot size. But what I can tell you is that a teacosy will cover a teapot and easily fit on to most heads.

Midnight Son
2007-08-29, 08:05 PM
This coming from someone who drinks beer? :smallconfused: I can see just not liking coffee, but that specific comparison is pretty bad. See, beer has the same consistency and color of yak piss, plus the urine-like flavor. Coffee is hot, black, and tastes like something you shouldn't have picked from the garden. I happen to like coffee, but I am aware of why some people don't like the taste. You just happen to have gotten it wrong. :smallsigh:What in the nine hells gave you the idea I like beer? Most of it is worse than yak piss. I've only ever had one beer, a very dark one brewed by a local brewery, that I enjoyed. I don't drink much alcohol at all, but, if I'm gonna drink, It's Jack, Jim, or Johnny for me.

Now root beer...That's good stuff. I like IBC or Weinhard's for that.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-29, 08:18 PM
What in the nine hells gave you the idea I like beer?
You're a man. Men like beer.
I... I've been mislead, haven't I?
:wink:

bugsysservant
2007-08-29, 08:27 PM
Licorice tea FTW!!!

Definitely my favorite kind. I brew it for about an hour, till the water is luke warm and the tea can be eaten with a fork. mmmm...

Can't stand coffee. If I need caffeine, I drink a red bull. I have only been that desperate once, because I don't want a tolerance, but the option is there.

And finally, I like my coffee like I like my women: ground down to constituent parts and boiled to make a beverage I won't touch. :smallbiggrin:

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 09:43 PM
What in the nine hells gave you the idea I like beer? Most of it is worse than yak piss. I've only ever had one beer, a very dark one brewed by a local brewery, that I enjoyed. I don't drink much alcohol at all, but, if I'm gonna drink, It's Jack, Jim, or Johnny for me.

Now root beer...That's good stuff. I like IBC or Weinhard's for that.

Sorry, guy, I coulda sworn I heard you mentioning you drank beer at some point.

Ego has been mislead greatly. I hate alcohol in every form it comes in for consumption. But at least wine smells good.

FdL
2007-08-29, 09:54 PM
Thought this was about ambrosia or nectar :p

Midnight Son
2007-08-29, 10:28 PM
No worries Brickwall. I'm about the same. The taste of alcohol is horrid. For some reason, on that one beer, I could barely taste it. As for the Jack and such, they're so strong, I don't taste much of anything, but I enjoy the burn as it slides down the throat. Even with that, I've never had enough alcohol in one sitting to even get a good buzz going. Seen too much as a result of booze to ever want to go down that road.

You're a man. Men like beer.
I... I've been mislead, haven't I?
:wink:This is what I don't understand...almost every person I talk to says they disliked their first taste of beer, but tell me it's an acquired taste. So, here's my supposition of how that goes down.

"Ooooh, a beer. Let me try it?"
"Yuck! that tastes like Yak Piss!"
"I wonder if a second sip will taste better."

So yes, Ego, you have been grossly misled. Real men don't need mind altering substances to have fun. Plus, I don't have to worry about Pterodactyls* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q6GhAnd-ow)

*Contains adult language

tannish2
2007-08-29, 10:55 PM
"Ooooh, a beer. Let me try it?"
"Yuck! that tastes like Yak Piss!"
"I wonder if a second sip will taste better."

that is quotable... if only i had room in my sig...

13_CBS
2007-08-29, 11:08 PM
Hmm...in my culture we have "teas" that are more like flavored water, if only because that's how we treat them. My favs would probably be oolong and...er...bori chaa (it's romanized korean :smalltongue: ). Excellent drinks, both as teas and as, well, flavored waters.

Also, since I'm not cultured in coffee at all, I actually do like Starbucks stuff, if only their ice cold fraps. Seattle's, though...eh...

As for root beer: hear hear! IBC and Jone's soda FTW.

rubakhin
2007-08-29, 11:36 PM
I like Russian tea. Essentially, you take a large amount of tea leaves (Darjeeling works well for this) and sort of . . . distill them until the pitch black sludge you have left is so strong it has become a dangerous, hallucinatory narcotic similar to speed. The substance resembles at this point a drug called chephyr that is made out of tea rations in Russian prisons. Anyway, you fill a tenth of a mug with this venerable sludge. Dilute it with four tenths boiling water and five tenths vodka. Add honey if you so desire. Ideally, one should drink four cups of this tea a day. Doing this won't guarantee a longer and healthier life, or even momentary happiness, but the laborious preparations will at least distract you from your various and sundry problems.

Good for what ails ya.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 11:45 PM
I like Russian tea. Essentially, you take a large amount of tea leaves (Darjeeling works well for this) and sort of . . . distill them until the pitch black sludge you have left is so strong it has become a dangerous, hallucinatory narcotic similar to speed. The substance resembles at this point a drug called chephyr that is made out of tea rations in Russian prisons. Anyway, you fill a tenth of a mug with this venerable sludge. Dilute it with four tenths boiling water and five tenths vodka. Add honey if you so desire. Ideally, one should drink four cups of this tea a day. Doing this won't guarantee a longer and healthier life, or even momentary happiness, but the laborious preparations will at least distract you from your various and sundry problems.

Good for what ails ya.

Funny, because I thought combining narcotics and poison was BAD for you. Maybe I should start disbelieving all those guys with their silly MDs and such.

tannish2
2007-08-30, 01:11 AM
Funny, because I thought combining narcotics and poison was BAD for you. Maybe I should start disbelieving all those guys with their silly MDs and such.

thats stupid, havent you ever read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

Robberbaron
2007-08-30, 02:23 PM
I don't do alchohol at all, root beer though is quite good, IBC, A&W, and a local place, Nu-Way are all rather tasty.

Telonius
2007-08-30, 03:01 PM
Starbucks coffee - blah. I don't care about the corporate-ness of it; I could forgive that. But their coffee is wretched. I need to put about five sugar packets in a large coffee to make it drinkable. (And yes, when you have three sizes of coffee, they are small, medium, and large. I don't care what pseudo-Italian nonsense is on the board). And whoever came up with their "Christmas blend" should be forced to drink a whole pot of it. No more coffee for me at the Barnes and Noble, thanks; I'll stick to the Jones Soda.

That said, a well-brewed cup of coffee is fine by me!

EDIT: As for beer ... well, I had my first one in Germany, where they actually know how to brew the stuff. I don't consider most of what people drink to be actual beer (I'm looking at you, Bud-"I stole the name and label from Czechvar"-weiser, Coors, Miller, Pabst, Milwaukee's Best....).

Ralfarius
2007-08-30, 03:17 PM
I am much more of a tea drinker than coffee, mostly because of this place:
http://www.teavana.com/

They have some of the most flavourful blends I have ever tasted (and some that turn out kind of gross and overly-sweet). The selection ranges from excellent and affordable, to $20+ for a 2 oz measure. One of my favourites is Caribbean Breeze. A fruit-infusion including strawberries, apricots, rosehips, apple, elderberries, citrus peel, and hibiscus pieces, and cornflower petals. You would not believe how delicious this is for brewing iced tea.

They also have some really phenomenal tea sets, as well as various doodads for brewing.

rubakhin
2007-08-30, 03:44 PM

Nonsense. It's a good cold remedy. Clears the sinuses right up, and it's wonderful for that burr in your chest. Even small children will be given this when they're sick.

At least in this situation we're drinking something that's actually made for human consumption. Some people - hell, even most people - will put absolutely anything down their throats, cologne, lighter fluid, antifreeze. Thousands of people go blind in Russia each year because of creativity in drinking.

Vampire包子
2007-09-01, 08:21 PM
Another tea drinker here. Kind of a tea elitist though, I love the loose-leaf. Most American teas do taste like poorly flavored water, and are often meant to be drunk with milk/sweetener.
If you can find some quality green teas, or wulong teas.... mmmm.... I am currently travelling with several kilos of Laoshan green tea (not quite the Zhejiang kinds, but still good). Also a big fan of Japanese green teas, mainly Sencha. Have an Indian friend who makes really good chai, but dont know where they buy the leaves and spices to make it. Also looks difficult to brew right.
Tea in the states can be very good or very bad- most is very bad.

That said, my guilty pleasure is American chai. With milk and sugar. Mmm, tasty, and sweet.

Personal pet peeve: Anyone who says "chai tea". "Chai" means "tea". "chai tea" is a redundant phrase. Like saying "cha tea", or any variant thereof. Just don't do it! It's a cup of chai, not a cup of chai tea.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-02, 09:46 AM
I like regular black coffee. Please don't put anything in my coffee. The blacker the better.

That said, I also like cappuccinos, and Irish coffees.

I like herbal teas as well, especially when I am not feeling well. A little honey in a cup of tea does miracles...

smellie_hippie
2007-09-02, 04:54 PM
I like regular black coffee. Please don't put anything in my coffee. The blacker the better.

That said, I also like cappuccinos, and Irish coffees.

I like herbal teas as well, especially when I am not feeling well. A little honey in a cup of tea does miracles...

Mmmmmmmmmm....... Irish coffee..... *goes in search of Bailey's*

Oh. wait, I'm at work. :smallredface:

*refills EmeraldRose's coffee mug*

MrEdwardNigma
2007-09-05, 06:20 PM
I'm not quite sure the gods drank tea..
I'm quite sure I drink tea. Plain, cold tea, without added sugar, lemon, milk or anything else for that matter. Does that in any way answer your question?

Alyorbase
2007-09-06, 08:20 AM
I do love a good glass of iced tea. Straight, no sugar, no lemon, like all good northerners in the US like is...the right way. Forget that sweet tea junk.

And I'm like every good southerner in the US and like sweet iced tea...or as some friends of mine say Iced tea flavored Sugar, I do agree about the lemon tho...

Far as coffee goes...if it's got sugar...I'm good!:smallamused:

Aizle
2007-09-06, 08:28 AM
Blah, everyone know that the Drink of the Gods is beer...

The closer said beer is to the consistency of a motor oil that hasn't been changed for about 20k miles the better.

That said, coffee is an acceptable vehicle for caffeine. Preferably a dark roast with a little sugar and cream for me.

2007-09-06, 12:18 PM
Aizle, I completely agree with you (except for the coffee thing, I like mine black). I named the thread as I did, because it would get people's attention, which it has.