PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [AL]PDK in TOA

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-02, 07:25 AM
The character is a Human Variant, planning on using either s+b or a heavy crossbow. Using point buy. Any recommendations, besides being another subclass?

Unoriginal
2018-03-02, 08:01 AM
The character is a Human Variant, planning on using either s+b or a heavy crossbow. Using point buy. Any recommendations, besides being another subclass?

Which class are you going for?

nickl_2000
2018-03-02, 08:07 AM
Which class are you going for?

I'm assuming PDK from the title is meant to mean Purple Dragon Knight. Also based on the comment in the OP about a suggestion of not doing it, I feel it makes my assumption solid

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-02, 08:47 AM

May I ask why you wanted to go PDK in the first place? That may help us give you suggestions for the character.

I mean, my first inclination is to just say to pick another subclass, like the Cavalier, but it would help to know why you made the decision that you did.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-02, 08:51 AM
Inspiring Leader works well with the archetype since you're likely to have a reasonable charisma. Also fits the fluff.

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-02, 09:16 AM
May I ask why you wanted to go PDK in the first place? That may help us give you suggestions for the character.

I mean, my first inclination is to just say to pick another subclass, like the Cavalier, but it would help to know why you made the decision that you did.

Because it is (according to the opinion of the majority of forum-goers), the worst fighter subclass. And I like a challenge.

Not to mention that being able to share second wind is actually a really decent ability for Tomb.

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-02, 09:17 AM
Inspiring Leader works well with the archetype since you're likely to have a reasonable charisma. Also fits the fluff.

It's definitely on the list of feats to take.

Unoriginal
2018-03-02, 10:09 AM
As a Fighter, you'll generally be better off with a longbow by tge time you get your second attack, but a crossbow can be good before that.

However, if you're STR based, your ranged weapon will be secondary (even if it's very useful to have one). You could also use javelins to use your STR bonus to ranged attacks and for the ease of access.

Now, keep in mind there ain't many shops in the deadly jungle, so depending of how your DM runs things you and your buddies may run out of ammunitions on your way to the first step of the journey.

Which background(s) were you considering?

Specter
2018-03-02, 10:39 AM
PDK is a subclass that can't be optimized. You can't make the features last longer, or heal more, or whatever.

If you want to be better, think of what you want to do and plan on that. Want to live forever? Take Tough and one level of Barbarian. Want to help allies? Take Ritual Caster and a level of Bard. Etc.

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-02, 10:40 AM
As a Fighter, you'll generally be better off with a longbow by tge time you get your second attack, but a crossbow can be good before that.

However, if you're STR based, your ranged weapon will be secondary (even if it's very useful to have one). You could also use javelins to use your STR bonus to ranged attacks and for the ease of access.

Now, keep in mind there ain't many shops in the deadly jungle, so depending of how your DM runs things you and your buddies may run out of ammunitions on your way to the first step of the journey.

Which background(s) were you considering?

Maybe Knight of the Order(thinking of the Flaming Fists, till I learned that were jerks), but I'm not sure. Definitely something that would be fun for role-play and would allow for actual usage.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-02, 01:51 PM
One more thing: if you go S&B, try to fit in the feat Prodigy (from XGtE) for athletics expertise. Combined with Shield Master, this lets you consistently knock most enemies prone before making your attacks, granting advantage to yourself and potentially to your allies. Once again, this fits the archetype theme quite well.

If not going this route, I would consider a PM + GWM build or a crossbow expert + SS build. The power of any of the above combinations will make up for PDK's low power overall.

As a variant human fighter, you can afford three feats by level 6 and still have good AC. I'd front-load the feats in this way.

Unoriginal
2018-03-02, 05:17 PM
Maybe Knight of the Order(thinking of the Flaming Fists, till I learned that were jerks), but I'm not sure. Definitely something that would be fun for role-play and would allow for actual usage.

Maybe ask your DM if the Order of the Gauntlet is available?

Zene
2018-03-02, 07:07 PM
My only recommendation is to spell out the subclass name unless it's being used with lots of context. Purple Dragon Knights are so rarely seen that it took me like 20 seconds to figure out what the initials stood for.

MaxWilson
2018-03-02, 07:17 PM
PDK is a subclass that can't be optimized. You can't make the features last longer, or heal more, or whatever.

You can make them more valuable though. The value of 1 HP of healing is higher on a high-AC character with low HP, like a wizard, than a low-AC character with tons of HP, like a Moon Druid.

So PDK "optimization" would be a matter of optimizing your context, especially your party-mates. A PDK will be appreciated in a party of rogues and warlock gishes (Fighter 1/Tomelock X), perhaps even more than an Eldritch Knight or a Battlemaster would be, though perhaps not more than a Paladin or Cleric.

The ideal scenario for a PDK is probably a campaign where magic is illegal and/or strictly regulated (like military-grade hardware in the real world) and the party size is 4-5 PCs who are all barbarians, fighters, and rogues with maybe one or two furtive warlocks-in-hiding.

opaopajr
2018-03-02, 08:54 PM
The strength of a PDK is spamming Short Rest support for your allies. Outside of that, there is little "build synergy." So don't feel beholden to any stat value, go nuts, try the hardest things possible! :smallcool:

My best advice is Healer feat. This turns 5 sp from one use of a Healer's Kit into a "Lay on Hands for 1 HP." This cuts down on Unconscious but Stabilized waiting, (normally 1d4 hours). Further Healer feat's other heal function is usable after Short & Long Rest recharges.

Basically you now get to throw money+Healer feat and a PDK Fighter's Second Wind+Rally Cry each Short Rest, covering a large chunk of your party's Long Term healing needs without dipping into spell slots or Hit Dice. Healer's 1d6+4+Target'sMaxHD HP one target, plus Second Wind's 1d10+FighterLvl HP self, plus Rally Cry's FighterLvl HP three targets healing every Short Rest... adds up fast when repeated. And ability stats are wholly irrelevant to get the above.

Inspiring Leader is nice, but is overkill, and has its own opportunity costs in two things: 1) CHA 13+ feat requirement, 2) Temp HP never stacks, it merely may replace the previous, thus healing regular HP still matters. That said, since the majority of the Temp HP comes from the larger amount of targets, 6 targets, and from Player Lvl, you can easily make do with CHA 13.

All stacked together, Healer, Inspiring Leader, and PDK and you have some crazy HP bloat going on from Short Rests. Which in turn preserves spell slots and Stabilized Waking from Unconsciousness delays. It's strong in an oblique way, and in the end you're still a Fighter who can lay the single target hurt from melee or ranged weapons.