PDA

View Full Version : how would we build the flash in d&D 5E

Amdy_vill
2018-03-02, 01:05 PM
how would the flash be built in 5e i assume he would be a monk with some magic gear

Race: tabaxi
Classes: fighter 2 rouge 3(arcane) sorcerer 5(storm) monk 10(long death)

magic items
boots of speed

feats:
mobile
lucky
alert

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-02, 01:13 PM
how would the flash be built in 5e i assume he would be a monk with some magic gear
A Monk with a 2 level dip into Rogue for cunning action. Then give him an item that can cast Haste.

If my math isn't off, you'll have 120 feet of movement with Haste up and can then use your hasted action, bonus action, and action to dash. Giving 480ft.

Balthasaurus
2018-03-02, 02:26 PM
A Monk with a 2 level dip into Rogue for cunning action. Then give him an item that can cast Haste.

If my math isn't off, you'll have 120 feet of movement with Haste up and can then use your hasted action, bonus action, and action to dash. Giving 480ft.

And make him a tabaxi too, so he can double his movement his turn!

nickl_2000
2018-03-02, 02:29 PM
Check this thread out.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543586-Fastest-Character-Build&highlight=max+speed

You can get over 1000 feet per round, which over a 6 second round means you are running over 100 MHP

Vogie
2018-03-02, 02:37 PM
5 levels of Sorcerer would give Extended Haste (or Blur), as well as mirror image, jump, shatter and thunderwave. Probably storm sorcery as a nod to his origin, and the Tempestuous Magic gives him even more movement

Grab Cunning Action with 2 levels in Rogue (Edit: the Sneak attack damage would also come into play)

Then Monk for the remaining 13 (+20 ft speed). Probably either Open Hand (Falcon PUNCH) or Long Death (Superhero durability)

Amdy_vill
2018-03-05, 07:58 AM
so are there any magic items that would help this build with moving faster?

Armored Walrus
2018-03-05, 08:11 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing let him stay fast even if encumbered.

I don't know if anyone mentioned Longstrider (the spell).

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-05, 08:52 AM
Are we going to assume that we don't have access to the infinite pigeon train?

Amdy_vill
2018-03-05, 09:09 AM
Are we going to assume that we don't have access to the infinite pigeon train?

yes. we should stay in the realm of "this thing can be played in a normal game"

Easy_Lee
2018-03-05, 09:25 AM
See https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58632/what-is-the-fastest-a-character-can-move-in-one-turn.

This is the one I think you want:
Solo

The setup:

Tabaxi Race (Volo's guide) - 30
5 Barbarian for Fast Movement (PHB) - 10
Elk Totem (SCAG) - 15 (while unencumbered)
5 Monk for Unarmored Movement (PHB) - 10
6 Transmuter Wizard for stone (PHB) - 10
2 Rogue for cunning action
2 Fighter for action surge
Lvl 1 spell: Longstrider (PHB) - 10
Mobile feat (PHB) - 10
Major artifact with speed (DMG) - 10
Boon of speed (DMG) - 30
Total movement speed = 135

The move:

Tabaxi Feline agility (Volo's guide) - x2 speed for 1 turn (resets on not moving a turn)
Boots of speed (DMG) - x2 speed for 10 minutes after bonus action
Lvl 3 spell: Haste - x2 movement speed
135 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1080
Lvl 3 spell: Haste: Dash action - +100% movement
2 Rogue for Cunning action: Dash - +100% movement bonus action
2 Fighter for Action Surge: Dash - +100% movement
Standard Dash action - +100% movement
1080 x 5 = 5400ft for 1 turn, or ~614mph

That's a bit faster than the cruising speed of a 747.

Amdy_vill
2018-03-05, 10:07 AM
See https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58632/what-is-the-fastest-a-character-can-move-in-one-turn.

This is the one I think you want:
Solo

The setup:

Tabaxi Race (Volo's guide) - 30
5 Barbarian for Fast Movement (PHB) - 10
Elk Totem (SCAG) - 15 (while unencumbered)
5 Monk for Unarmored Movement (PHB) - 10
6 Transmuter Wizard for stone (PHB) - 10
2 Rogue for cunning action
2 Fighter for action surge
Lvl 1 spell: Longstrider (PHB) - 10
Mobile feat (PHB) - 10
Major artifact with speed (DMG) - 10
Boon of speed (DMG) - 30
Total movement speed = 135

The move:

Tabaxi Feline agility (Volo's guide) - x2 speed for 1 turn (resets on not moving a turn)
Boots of speed (DMG) - x2 speed for 10 minutes after bonus action
Lvl 3 spell: Haste - x2 movement speed
135 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1080
Lvl 3 spell: Haste: Dash action - +100% movement
2 Rogue for Cunning action: Dash - +100% movement bonus action
2 Fighter for Action Surge: Dash - +100% movement
Standard Dash action - +100% movement
1080 x 5 = 5400ft for 1 turn, or ~614mph

That's a bit faster than the cruising speed of a 747.

why wizard? wouldn't sorcerer get the same spells and be better flavored.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-05, 10:28 AM
why wizard? wouldn't sorcerer get the same spells and be better flavored.

Transmutation stone. And I have no idea what you mean by "better flavored" here. In the comics, the Flash is a scientist. That's more akin to wizard than sorcerer. Wizard-monk-fighter is actually quite close to his depiction.

Amdy_vill
2018-03-05, 10:45 AM
Transmutation stone. And I have no idea what you mean by "better flavored" here. In the comics, the Flash is a scientist. That's more akin to wizard than sorcerer. Wizard-monk-fighter is actually quite close to his depiction.

i think sorcerer fits better as it gives the flavor of the speed force being a thing in his blood and not something he learned.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-05, 10:49 AM
i think sorcerer fits better as it gives the flavor of the speed force being a thing in his blood and not something he learned.

Regardless of what you think has a better "flavor," sorcerer is not as fast.

Vogie
2018-03-05, 11:26 AM
Regardless of what you think has a better "flavor," sorcerer is not as fast.

And the Flash isn't the fastest speedster in the universe at most points. And the OP isn't asking for the conglomeration that generates the fastest of the fast in Swords & Spreadsheets, he's asking for "The Flash" in Dungeons & Dragons. So it's not going to be a cheetah-person, not an elk totem barbarian, and doesn't gain extra speed from a created object, a la transmutation stone.

However, you gave some interesting additions.
Boots of Speed is a good idea.
Some way to get Longstrider is a good idea. That could be acquired through Magic Inititate or by going a 3rd level in rogue via Arcane Trickster (which could be very cool in other ways - the Mage Hand Legerdemain, for example, could be refluffed as the Flash physically moving something, then zipping back to place so no one notices.
Fighter levels, on the other hand, are open for interpretation... but that would also unlock the Mariner Fighting style, making your climbing and swimming speed equal to your (incredibly fast) walking speed, and gives +1AC. So lets tack it in.

Add it all up - a Storm Sorcerer 5 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 3 / Fighter 2 / Way of the Long Death Monk 10, able to dump STR or INT (or both), wearing Boots of Speed.

Amdy_vill
2018-03-05, 02:22 PM
i think all we have left is any other feat suggestions

Vogie
2018-03-05, 03:57 PM
If you have 3 levels in Trickster rogue, you don't need Magic Initiate.... Longstrider can be picked up with the Trickster's Spell casting, alongside 1 enchantment & 1 illusion spell

Mobile - You've already got this one

Alert & Lucky would be a good ones, which isn't a huge surprise, because they're also good on everyone else.

Charger could be fun, as you can do the "run by pushing people out of the way" that the Flash does. RAW, you can't use unarmed attacks with this, but your DM may allow you to due to RoC. Same would apply for the Martial Adept

Athlete, Acrobat, Durable, Observant, Resilient, Investigator, Quick-Fingered, Human Determination, or Tough all could apply to our man in red.

It depends on how you'd like to play.