PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hex, duration, perception and Social encounters

MadBear
2018-03-02, 03:04 PM
So I'm curious how people would rule hex at their table in the following scenario:

Act 1:
- Combat against some bandits begins
- Warlock casts hex and targets bandit

Act 2:
- 2 minutes later (assuming the Hex is still up at this point), you capture one of the bandits, and tell them lie.
- The DM decides that he's going to have the bandit role insight
- The warlock, decides that he's going to use his bonus action to move hex onto the target

Question: Does the bandit know there's a spell effect being hoisted upon him? The spell was cast earlier in the battle. So does using your bonus action to move it, make it obvious, or is it undetectable.

Furthermore, if he knows he has a spell effect against him, does he know who is the one hexing him?

Finally, would this make hex a useful social buff for a warlock later, when he can upcast it for 24 hours. Basically, would they then be able to use it in battle, and then for the rest of the day use it unnoticed from there.

Naanomi
2018-03-02, 03:38 PM
There is debate about it, but I don’t see anything in common rules that would indicate they would detect it if it was moved on later (the original casting would be as obvious as always of course)

Scyrner
2018-03-02, 04:04 PM
In my opinion: There's no reason the bandit should know that it has been moved to him, as that is not casting a spell. As such, he would not know he was under an effect. If he surmised that he was, he would not know, but may be able to conclude, who has hexed him, perhaps through a retroactive spell identification arcana check a la Xanathar's.

It's only a little useful as a social buff, since, as you can only swap it when the previous target is dead, the Warlock will only likely get to use it once or for one series of checks by the same character before they would need to recast it.

ShikomeKidoMi
2018-03-03, 10:01 PM
Personally: I'd rule that the bandit would not know you put a Hex on him (as seems suggested by the rulebooks when it comes to noticing spells), but that he might notice something felt off when he was making checks with disadvantage... Though if he just had the snot beat out of him, he might just think he's concussed or something.

Deathtongue
2018-03-04, 01:55 PM
It's only a little useful as a social buff, since, as you can only swap it when the previous target is dead, the Warlock will only likely get to use it once or for one series of checks by the same character before they would need to recast it.
Before you go to the palace for court intrigue, sacrifice a chicken. Swap the Hex when you're talking to someone you have to 'win' against, like the king.