PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Artisan's Blessing + Minor Alchemy

Razdingo
2018-03-02, 04:56 PM
If a transmutation wizard uses Minor Alchemy on a block of wood, turning it to silver, and then a forge cleric uses Artisan blessing to turn that silver into something else what happens?

According to Artisan blessing "The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual’s end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation." The irretrievable line makes me believe that the transformation is now permanent regardless of what the wizard now does.

Did the wizard and cleric just make a suit of armor out of a block of wood?

Unoriginal
2018-03-02, 05:12 PM
If a transmutation wizard uses Minor Alchemy on a block of wood, turning it to silver, and then a forge cleric uses Artisan blessing to turn that silver into something else what happens?

According to Artisan blessing "The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual’s end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation." The irretrievable line makes me believe that the transformation is now permanent regardless of what the wizard now does.

Did the wizard and cleric just make a suit of armor out of a block of wood?

No, because what the Cleric does is irretrievably alter the form. It doesn't change the nature of the metal.

So what you get is an item made of wood, shaped like the Cleric wanted.

Platypusbill
2018-03-02, 06:30 PM
No, because what the Cleric does is irretrievably alter the form. It doesn't change the nature of the metal.

I disagree; the effect doesn't just shape the metal into an object, it can turn the metal you provide into different metals or even nonmetal materials. The only restrictions are that the value of the metal you use must have value equal to the item(s) you want to create, and the creation must include some metal.

Tiadoppler
2018-03-02, 06:43 PM
Minor Alchemy changes only the physical properties of the substance, not the metaphysical properties.

A block of wood that is turned into silver does not gain the inherent gp value of a block of silver, it just physically acts like silver temporarily. You'd need a block of wood of equal value to the armor you wish to create.

I might allow this combo to be used to get around the "you must lay out metal" part of Artisan's Blessing if both abilities are used exactly simultaneously (Minor Alchemy has a 1 hour duration, Artisan's Blessing requires 1 hour for the casting), but not the "value" part. If you have a cubic foot of very rare, exotic, valuable wood, or fine marble, or something, you could turn that into metal, then use them to craft with Artisan's Blessing. If you're producing something that's very low in value (a key), a simple block of wood might work anyway.

MxKit
2018-03-02, 08:14 PM

This seems to be a potentially interesting way to give Druids good medium or even heavy armor options.