PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gotta cast 'em all!

2018-03-03, 01:45 AM
The proposed goal: make a wizard who can, via his wizard casting, prepare and cast every wizard spell in the Player's Handbook (or, if that's too easy, every wizard spell thus far published for 5e). What's the cheapest way to go about doing this, if it can even be done at all?

Likantropos
2018-03-03, 01:59 AM
Wish for one.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2018-03-03, 02:59 AM
Loot a vast store of arcane knowledge like Candle Keep?

2018-03-03, 05:03 AM
Loot a vast store of arcane knowledge like Candle Keep?

Something like this (whether via buying or stealing access to spells to scribe into your own book) is more or less needed to make this work, yes, but there are...problems, primarily that you can't copy cantrips into your own spellbook. I suppose having your spellbook as well as the spellbook of another wizard who has the spells you don't can sort-of kludge you to owning them all, but not necessarily being able to cast them all, which was part of the intention. I'll amend the OP to reflect this.

Aaron Underhand
2018-03-03, 06:10 AM
Wiz 17th level - use wish to get scrolls of spells you can't buy or steal - you also have 5 cantrips (Friends, Minor Illusion, Poison Spray, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp)

There are 16 wizard cantrips in the PHB, leaving 11 to collect

1 level sorcerer 4 (Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message)
1 level warlock 2 (Truestrike, Blade Ward)
1 level bard 2 (Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation)
Mage Initiate (Wiz) 2 (Acid Splash, Chill Touch)
Spell Sniper 1 (Firebolt)

Congratulation PHB complete - Note anything with an opposed role uses INT, so Cha 13 is sufficient

Damn, I want to play this guy now!....

(Edited to add cantrip assignments to classes)

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-03, 12:19 PM
If you want to squeeze in some non phb cantrips or free up a feat, could take arcana cleric in place of bard (needs 13 Wis of course) could get light, toll the dead and two more wizard cantrips.

Also could be a high elf

If you don't like the arcana cleric idea, you could take a celestial warlock to pick up light for free.

Aaron Underhand
2018-03-03, 06:00 PM
If you want to squeeze in some non phb cantrips or free up a feat, could take arcana cleric in place of bard (needs 13 Wis of course) could get light, toll the dead and two more wizard cantrips.

Also could be a high elf

If you don't like the arcana cleric idea, you could take a celestial warlock to pick up light for free.

To be PHB+SCAG complete you need to pick up another 4 cantrips

Arcana cleric replacing Bard or Warlock gives you another two wizard cantrips, High Elf, or cantrip Half-Elf gives you another, for a total of 19/20 - I cant see a way to complete this.

XmonkTad
2018-03-03, 11:12 PM
For amassing cantrips it's hard to beat 3 levels of tomelock for book of shadows. That's all the cantrips!

BurgerBeast
2018-03-04, 05:08 AM
To be PHB+SCAG complete you need to pick up another 4 cantrips

Arcana cleric replacing Bard or Warlock gives you another two wizard cantrips, High Elf, or cantrip Half-Elf gives you another, for a total of 19/20 - I cant see a way to complete this.

Taking the Magic Initiate feat twice?

Aaron Underhand
2018-03-04, 08:39 AM
My understanding is that most feats can only be taken once. PHB page 165 "You can take each feat only once, unless the feat’s description says otherwise."

My understanding is that Tomelocks get three cantrips, no more, even with the "Book of Ancient Secrets" invocation. The invocation only gives access to rituals and cantrips aren't rituals.

As such two extra warlock levels to get three more cantrips is beaten by a sorcerer and a bard level.

You only have three levels to play with as you need wizard 17 to get 9th level spells.

MaxWilson
2018-03-04, 10:58 AM
The proposed goal: make a wizard who can, via his wizard casting, prepare and cast every wizard spell in the Player's Handbook (or, if that's too easy, every wizard spell thus far published for 5e). What's the cheapest way to go about doing this, if it can even be done at all?

Probably Papa Murphy's Pizza. Cheap and excellent. Arguably even better than Costco pizza, and certainly has more variety.

If that does not bend your DM to your will, it cannot be done at all.

BurgerBeast
2018-03-04, 02:45 PM
My understanding is that most feats can only be taken once. PHB page 165 "You can take each feat only once, unless the feat’s description says otherwise."

Yes, thank you.

For some reason I thought you could take Magic Initiate multiple times if you took it as a different class each time.

JNAProductions
2018-03-04, 02:46 PM
Yes, thank you.

For some reason I thought you could take Magic Initiate multiple times if you took it as a different class each time.

I mean, I'd certainly ALLOW that, but it's not RAW.