PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow a player to do this?

Throne12
2018-03-03, 07:43 AM
If you had a player wanting to use a longsword 2 handed. He then ask if he can take PAM but use his longsword instead of a polearm. Mechanically it no different then using a polearm other then your losing reach. Now you would have to put a Stipulation on it were you can only use PAM if you are hold the weapon with both hands.

What do y'all think?

Avonar
2018-03-03, 07:46 AM
I'd say no. You're going to get into the problem of having to track how many hands they are using to hold the sword.

No reason he can't use a quarterstaff surely?

Throne12
2018-03-03, 07:51 AM
I'd say no. You're going to get into the problem of having to track how many hands they are using to hold the sword.

What are you tracking. Is he using a shield no. Is he rolling a d8 or d10.

Lombra
2018-03-03, 07:53 AM

You have to anyways, because you need to know which damage die to use.

I wouldn't see any real reason to do it anyways, why exactly does he want it? Maybe he wants to play a kensai.

Avonar
2018-03-03, 07:56 AM
What are you tracking. Is he using a shield no. Is he rolling a d8 or d10.

What about the opportunity attack? Does the player always get this or do they have to have two hands on it?

If he really wants to do this, give him a d10 2-handed sword instead. Simpler.

Norts
2018-03-03, 07:57 AM
I would say no at my table. For me, it has nothing to do with damage dice and handedness, and everything to do with the fact the feat is called Polearm Mastery. A longsword is not a polearm, thus it does not qualify.

Lombra
2018-03-03, 08:05 AM
I have a thing for swordspears, they're pretty cool, maybe you can give him a refluffed halberd that looks like a sword on a stick?

The fact is that it has one slight advantage over a polearm: when in trouble it doubles as a d8 one handed weapon... which the quarterstaff does for an inferior damage die, although it's simple, so maybe the fact that the longsword is martial could make it even?

What clicks wrong with me is the fact that it feels just like a "I want more power my way" request, so depending on the reason behind the request I may change my mind.

Throne12
2018-03-03, 08:19 AM
It about wanting that image of the warrior in shows that swinging around this longsword using two hands. It also helps if people want to play using Versatile Property. There are no feats, no fighting style or any support for versatile style play.

Soleil
2018-03-03, 08:25 AM
If you had a player wanting to use a longsword 2 handed. He then ask if he can take PAM but use his longsword instead of a polearm. Mechanically it no different then using a polearm other then your losing reach. Now you would have to put a Stipulation on it were you can only use PAM if you are hold the weapon with both hands.

What do y'all think?

I've been thinking of doing something similar. Applying PAM to heavy and two handed weapons. It won't break anything even if the guy uses a GS with it, so I say let him do it.

Elminster298
2018-03-03, 09:15 AM
Nope. POLEARM Mastery. Longsword is not a polearm. It really is that simple for my decision. Refluff anything you want and I will say yes. Start changing game mechanics and my answer will ALMOST always be no.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 09:48 AM
I say let him, besides, is the only way to my knowledge to get to hit someone with the pommel, Which is always welcome.

bc56
2018-03-03, 09:57 AM
It's polearm mastery. A longsword isn't a polearm. The polearms in d&d aren't polearms, they aren't long enough. A real polearm is >20ft long.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 10:00 AM
It's polearm mastery. A longsword isn't a polearm. The polearms in d&d aren't polearms, they aren't long enough. A real polearm is >20ft long.

so? The feat itself doesn't have anything to do with how long the polearm may be.

Throne12
2018-03-03, 10:04 AM

Are you kidding polearms are about 7 to 8 feet long 10ft at the most. Do you know how tall 20ft is? Trying to use a 20ft long weapon would be impossible to use.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 10:05 AM
Are you kidding polearms are about 7 to 8 feet long 10ft at the most. Do you know how tall 20ft is? Trying to use a 20ft long weapon would be impossible to use.

There actually polearms that long, But they were used on wars, not really meant for 1v1 combat.

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 10:09 AM
Yes, I'd be fine with allowing a player to repurpose a weapon feat to another weapon.

Are you kidding polearms are about 7 to 8 feet long 10ft at the most. Do you know how tall 20ft is? Trying to use a 20ft long weapon would be impossible to use.The impossible is possible it'd seem! Pike (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_(weapon))

Inchoroi
2018-03-03, 10:16 AM
Definitely not. Sounds like a powergame attempt. However, I would not be adverse to a feat that makes versatile weapons more attractive.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 10:18 AM
I really don't get why people have a problem with this... unless in your group there already is a polearm guy this should be alright. Hell, if there is a polearm guy, He will make better use of the feat anyway.

Throne12
2018-03-03, 10:30 AM
The halberd consists of an axe blade topped with a spike mounted on a long shaft. It always has a hook or thorn on the back side of the axe blade for grappling mounted combatants.It is very similar to certain forms of the voulge in design and usage. The halberd was usually 1.5 to 1.8 metres (5 to 6 feet) long.

A glaive is a pole arm consisting of a single-edged tapering blade similar in shape to a modern kitchen knife on the end of a pole. The blade was around 18 inches (46 cm) long, on the end of a pole 6 or 7 feet (180 or 210 centimetres) long However, instead of having a tang like a sword or naginata, the blade is affixed in a socket-shaft configuration similar to an axe head, both the blade and shaft varying in length. Illustrations in the 13th century Maciejowski Bible show a short staffed weapon with a long blade used by both infantry and cavalry.Occasionally glaive blades were created with a small hook or spike on the reverse side.Such glaives are named glaive-guisarme.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 10:32 AM
The halberd consists of an axe blade topped with a spike mounted on a long shaft. It always has a hook or thorn on the back side of the axe blade for grappling mounted combatants.It is very similar to certain forms of the voulge in design and usage. The halberd was usually 1.5 to 1.8 metres (5 to 6 feet) long.

A glaive is a pole arm consisting of a single-edged tapering blade similar in shape to a modern kitchen knife on the end of a pole. The blade was around 18 inches (46 cm) long, on the end of a pole 6 or 7 feet (180 or 210 centimetres) long However, instead of having a tang like a sword or naginata, the blade is affixed in a socket-shaft configuration similar to an axe head, both the blade and shaft varying in length. Illustrations in the 13th century Maciejowski Bible show a short staffed weapon with a long blade used by both infantry and cavalry.Occasionally glaive blades were created with a small hook or spike on the reverse side.Such glaives are named glaive-guisarme.

The Pike
A ubiquitous battlefield weapon during the medieval period, the pike was simply a very long, thrusting spear employed by infantry as both a static defensive weapon against cavalry attacks and as an attacking polearm, when used in massed ranks and close formation. The combined length of both haft and head rose over time to a staggering 3—4m (9.8—13.lft), sometimes even 6m (19.6ft), and it was this very length that was both its strength and also its inherent weakness. The pikeman could stand at a relatively safe distance from close combat, but the weapon’s unwieldiness could also prove dangerous for him. A pikeman was armed with sword, mace or dagger in case his pike was lost in battle.

Unoriginal
2018-03-03, 12:07 PM
It about wanting that image of the warrior in shows that swinging around this longsword using two hands. It also helps if people want to play using Versatile Property. There are no feats, no fighting style or any support for versatile style play.

You can already use a longsword two-handed if you want to. And if people wants to use the versatile properly, they can.

Versatile weapons allow you to switch between +2 to armor and an higher damage dice. That's the support of the style.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 12:20 PM
You can already use a longsword two-handed if you want to. And if people wants to use the versatile properly, they can.

Versatile weapons allow you to switch between +2 to armor and an higher damage dice. That's the support of the style.

Yep, I think OP's player is missing the advantages of his chosen weapon. I would probably not give this to a player in my game. I might consider homebrewing a versatile weapon feat with them to allow smacking someone with the pommel as an attack option, but the opportunity attack when an enemy enters your reach, I feel is fluffed specifically for those longer weapons.

My other worry in granting this would be, what does this player have up their sleeve? What's he going to try and stack on top of this if I grant it? (suspicious thinking, I know, but my exposure to rules lawyering has drastically increased in the past month, so I'm wary of it now)

Malifice
2018-03-03, 12:24 PM

What do y'all think?

Id just let him refluff his halberd as a finely crafted sword.

Extra reach reflects his ducking and weaving due to the extra grace afforded by the sword. Bonus action attack is a pommel strike. Reaction attack is also the super speed of the sword (plus his skill thanks to the feat).

It breaks nothing. Its just a dude that wants the benefits of PAM (using halberd stats) with the visuals of a sword instead of a halberd.

Mechanically he's armed with a halberd, and using PAM. Visually he's a super agile swordsman, using his Claymore offensively and defensively, and with blinding speed.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 12:28 PM

Extra reach reflects his ducking and weaving due to the extra grace afforded by the sword. Bonus action attack is a pommel strike. Reaction attack is also the super speed of the sword (plus his skill thanks to the feat).

It breaks nothing. Its just a dude that wants the benefits of PAM (using halberd stats) with the visuals of a sword instead of a halberd.

Mechanically he's armed with a halberd, and using PAM. Visually he's a super agile swordsman, using his Claymore offensively and defensively, and with blinding speed.

I suspect OP's player also wants to retain the ability to use it one handed so he can equip a shield. I may be wrong, though. This I'd definitely allow, but then a shield is out, because it's now mechanically a halberd.

Unoriginal
2018-03-03, 12:29 PM

Would be fine, unless they demand to also have the benefits of the longsword.

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 12:31 PM

Mechanically he's armed with a halberd, and using PAM. Visually he's a super agile swordsman, using his Claymore offensively and defensively, and with blinding speed.Yeah, if you are worried about the mechanics just refluff everything.

As an alternative, maybe, the character's fighting style means swords use polearm stats. It's the way they fight. To everyone else, it's a sword, to them they fight like its a polearm. They'd have a very unique style.

Throne12
2018-03-03, 01:49 PM
Ok first this is not a pc. Second in movies, shows, books, ect. You see the main character pull his sword out and starts fighting. He doesnt put on a shield. He don't use a greatsword (unless your watching stuff from Japan then bigger is better.).
He just holding the sword with two hands every now and then taking one off. Just to punch someone.

So I was thinking up a character that use a longsword 2 handed.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 01:55 PM
If isn't a pc, then it doesn't matter, just give it to gim

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-03, 02:02 PM
Ok first this is not a pc. Second in movies, shows, books, ect. You see the main character pull his sword out and starts fighting. He doesnt put on a shield. He don't use a greatsword (unless your watching stuff from Japan then bigger is better.).
He just holding the sword with two hands every now and then taking one off. Just to punch someone.

Then where does PAM fit in? longsword is already versatile. Thats the only thing i see you describing here. If anything Take tavern brawler then weave unarmed attacks in between your longsword attacks or better yet just play a kensai. That seems to be what you want.

Erys
2018-03-03, 02:05 PM
If you are just going to argue with people not giving you the answers you want to hear, why even ask the forum for their thoughts?

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 02:35 PM
If isn't a pc, then it doesn't matter, just give it to gim

That's your answer right there. Only PCs follow PC rules. Your NPC can do whatever you want him to do.

Edit: It's worth noting, the title of your thread is "Would you allow a player to do this?" I think it's fair that everyone answered the question you asked...

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 02:38 PM
Ok first this is not a pc.If this is ability is part of the world, it's not unreasonable pcs could know/learn it. If an npc gets the feat, the player should be able to get the feat.

zinycor
2018-03-03, 02:51 PM
If this is ability is part of the world, it's not unreasonable pcs could know/learn it. If an npc gets the feat, the player should be able to get the feat.
not really, NPCs work differently than PCs, if you want to give a npc an ability you are allowed to just do so.

Having said that, I would recommend to use versions of pc classes whenever possible in order to maintain the illusion of fairness at the table. But giving a npc 1 or 2 abilities unique to them should be alright.

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 03:22 PM
not really, NPCs work differently than PCs, if you want to give a npc an ability you are allowed to just do so.

Having said that, I would recommend to use versions of pc classes whenever possible in order to maintain the illusion of fairness at the table. But giving a npc 1 or 2 abilities unique to them should be alright.If it's a special ability that's fine, but feats are a thing anyone can take if they qualify. Why make it a feat at all if it's now allowed for PCs?

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 03:25 PM
If it's a special ability that's fine, but feats are a thing anyone can take if they qualify. Why make it a feat at all if it's now allowed for PCs?

You don't make it a feat. That's precisely the point both of us were making. Just let the NPC do it if you want the NPC to do it.

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 03:27 PM
You don't make it a feat. That's precisely the point both of us were making. Just let the NPC do it if you want the NPC to do it.In that case, I was agreeing with you.

Unoriginal
2018-03-03, 03:33 PM
Ok first this is not a pc.

Then just gives him the capacity to do that.

Second in movies, shows, books, ect. You see the main character pull his sword out and starts fighting. He doesnt put on a shield. He don't use a greatsword (unless your watching stuff from Japan then bigger is better.).

First, an actual longsword would always be 2-handed. D&D longswords are actually arming swords, which allows to switch between one and two hands.

Second, there are plenty of characters that don't do that in many works.

Third, if you want a character who use a longsword 2 handed, everyone can already do that. The NPC statblocks equipped with longswords even already have the damage calculated in case the NPC uses it two-handed.

Having said that, I would recommend to use versions of pc classes whenever possible in order to maintain the illusion of fairness at the table. But giving a npc 1 or 2 abilities unique to them should be alright.

I disagree on two counts. First, it's way better to build NPCs with the NPCs rules and then give them abilities like the ones of PC classes (for example, the Assasssin NPC's Sneak Attack) than use the PC classes by themselves. Second, it's not an illusion of fairness, it is actually fair.

If it's a special ability that's fine, but feats are a thing anyone can take if they qualify. Why make it a feat at all if it's now allowed for PCs?

NPCs don't need Feats. You can just give them powers and techniques.

Elbeyon
2018-03-03, 03:34 PM
NPCs don't need Feats. You can just give them powers and techniques.That's sort of what I was saying.

furby076
2018-03-04, 12:06 AM
For all those saying this is broken, or OP, or there is a powergaming reason.... give examples. Kinda boring to hear, very often, "omg no, he is scamming you and will destroy the game".

I'd allow it, as long as he is using it 2 handed. If he switches to one hand, no feat usage...but he can use a shield

Tubben
2018-03-04, 04:51 AM
There are plenty good longswords, but only a very few polearms.
Polearm Mastery using with an LS means, that an PC will have plenty of new options to use pretty good weapons with now additional damage.
An Polearm is alot longer than a LS and need allways be in your hands. An LS not.

Using a Polearm is a drawback, because of the huge size and the fact there are only limited choices of good polearms. You also cant switch to sword and board with an polearm. If you want to erase that drawback you need to weaken the PAM feat.

I would not allow it.

Throne12
2018-03-04, 07:30 AM
There are plenty good longswords, but only a very few polearms.
Polearm Mastery using with an LS means, that an PC will have plenty of new options to use pretty good weapons with now additional damage.
An Polearm is alot longer than a LS and need allways be in your hands. An LS not.

Using a Polearm is a drawback, because of the huge size and the fact there are only limited choices of good polearms. You also cant switch to sword and board with an polearm. If you want to erase that drawback you need to weaken the PAM feat.

I would not allow it.

Dropping a weapon is a free action. Drawing one weapon is a free action. Equipping a shield is a action. So if I'm using a longsword and I pick up a shield it going to burn my action. If I'm holding a polearm. I can just drop it. Grad a shield burn my action to equip it. Then free action draw my sword. All in all it makes no difference.

Tubben
2018-03-04, 07:57 AM
Dropping a weapon is a free action. Drawing one weapon is a free action. Equipping a shield is a action. So if I'm using a longsword and I pick up a shield it going to burn my action. If I'm holding a polearm. I can just drop it. Grad a shield burn my action to equip it. Then free action draw my sword. All in all it makes no difference.

Sure, just you now need to have 2 weapons. A polearm & a LS, instead of just a LS.

Given you allow an LS & PAM you could drop your shield and use the LS 2Handed to burn your Bonus Action.
If not, you would need to drop LS & Shield, get Polearm from ground and then use your bonus action. Given you didnt move away from your polearm.
And if you enter the combat with LS/Shield equipped. From where do you get your polearm? Do you have a polearm sheath on your back ?

Plus you just ignored that you need to carry around a polearm the whole time, which is a huge difference than just carrying around a LS the whole time.
Plus you ignored the fact, that there are ALOT more good LS out there than good polearms.

There is a reason it's Polearm Mastery and not 2H Mastery. PAM is to make using polearms more attractive. Using it with every other weapon you can use 2h would make that feat to strong (Longswords are the most common weapons, if you allow it with LS you can also allow with with every other weapon you can use with 2H. ).

But every GM can houserule how he wants :) Just saying i would not allow it, if think it would make that feat to strong.

Caelic
2018-03-04, 10:01 AM

He is. That's what versatile does. In game terms, that character has made a decision to sacrifice a shield for greater damage. What you generally don't see is that character making MORE attacks with the sword wielded two-handed than he would with the sword wielded one-handed. (In the real world, it is possible to strike with the pommel of the sword, but it's not something that happens every few seconds, and you can do it one-handed as well as two-handed.)

Now let's talk about why this isn't a great idea.

1. The longsword has a mechanical advantage over a polearm: it can be used with a shield.
2. The longsword has a mechanical advantage over a quarterstaff: it does more damage, whether used one or two handed.

The only reason to use a quarterstaff rather than a polearm, mechanically speaking, is versatility; you give up significant damage to gain that versatility. What you're looking for here is a weapon which has that advantage and still does more damage. It's trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

Let's add in the fact that, for most martial characters, magical longswords are MUCH easier to come by than magical polearms or staves that they can use. Powerful magical staves tend to be usable only by spellcasters; magical polearms just don't pop up all that often.

So, no, I'd say this isn't just a refluffing; it's a substantial mechanical benefit which isn't needed to simulate a guy who wields his sword in two hands.

Pex
2018-03-04, 10:53 AM
For the same 1d10 slashing damage as a base the character could be wielding a glaive without the need to house rule to have the feat. He's still using a weapon in two hands, not using a shield, plus has reach. Ask the player if he's willing to use a glaive. His answer could clarify his intent or concerns. He might have not realized this since a glaive is rarely used and be happy about it. If he's worried about potential magic weapons in campaign future, no magic item exists without the DM's permission. If a magic weapon turns up it can just as easily be a glaive as a long sword.

Malifice
2018-03-04, 12:07 PM
Ok first this is not a pc.

Dude, if its not a monster, then just do it. Pick a CR appropriate NPC (Knight, Champion, Gladiator, whatever) and give it the following abilities:

Add to multiattack line for your NPC: 'In adition the [NPC] can make a pommel strike attack (Pommel strike, melee weapon attack, reach 5' +X to hit, damage X)'

Add to available reactions: 'Lightning reactions. The [NPC] can make a melee weapon attack against a creature that enters his reach. To make the attack he must be able to see the creature.'

I probably wouldnt adjust CR unless the CR was 2 or less.

Grek
2018-03-04, 12:25 PM
Longswords are Versatile (1d10) weapons in 5e. It says right in the book that you can wield them two-handed. As for PAM, no. It's Polearm Master, it requires polearms. You want the newly homebrewed Longsword Mastery, which works exactly like Polearm Master, except that it requires a sword instead of a polearm.

zinycor
2018-03-04, 12:26 PM
My question is: Why is it important that a NPC gets this feat with longsword? Is it a nameless guard or soldier? or is it a NPC that you are hoping would be important to the story? How important? Is he going to be an antagonist or an ally? What can you say about this NPC and why would he have this ability?

Malifice
2018-03-04, 12:50 PM
My question is: Why is it important that a NPC gets this feat with longsword? Is it a nameless guard or soldier? or is it a NPC that you are hoping would be important to the story? How important? Is he going to be an antagonist or an ally? What can you say about this NPC and why would he have this ability?

He's a DMNPC that follows the party around, helping them stay on the plot, bailing them out of trouble with flashy shows of skill, and occasionally scolding them for being useless.

He has bi-colored eyes, and the longsword is actually a Katana.

zinycor
2018-03-04, 12:59 PM
He's a DMNPC that follows the party around, helping them stay on the plot, bailing them out of trouble with flashy shows of skill, and occasionally scolding them for being useless.

He has bi-colored eyes, and the longsword is actually a Katana.

Were his parents killed right in front of his eyes leaving him an orphan with millions of dollars (Or gold pieces) to train as a ninja in a secret organization until the point where it was reavealed that he actually is an alien reencarnation of a demon destined to save or destroy the world?

Malifice
2018-03-04, 01:05 PM
Were his parents killed right in front of his eyes leaving him an orphan with millions of dollars (Or gold pieces) to train as a ninja in a secret organization until the point where it was reavealed that he actually is an alien reencarnation of a demon destined to save or destroy the world?

Yes.

And the DM often describes him in great detail; about how handsome, obviously better than the PCs, and destined for greatness he is.

In fact he probably has a picture drawn of him, from his favorite anime.

(Just kidding OP; not actually having a swipe at you there. Just loling at an in-joke).

Throne12
2018-03-04, 02:39 PM

No his parents work over seas. His big sister who is war hero and total bad a--. Stay home to train and take care of him. His best friend is the world's best swordwoman

Throne12
2018-03-04, 02:41 PM
Yes.

And the DM often describes him in great detail; about how handsome, obviously better than the PCs, and destined for greatness he is.

In fact he probably has a picture drawn of him, from his favorite anime.

(Just kidding OP; not actually having a swipe at you there. Just loling at an in-joke).

No problem

zinycor
2018-03-04, 02:58 PM
No his parents work over seas. His big sister who is war hero and total bad a--. Stay home to train and take care of him. His best friend is the world's best swordwoman

This sounds familiar xD

Elric VIII
2018-03-04, 04:44 PM
I am absolutely astounded at the overreaction people seem to be having here. The mechanical effect of this is literally a quarterstaff with a die size increase that deals slashing damage. If a player wants this, that ~1 increase in average damage is actually nothing. If it's an NPC, then describe it however you want.

Davrix
2018-03-04, 04:51 PM
My only issue is your trying for a longsword. What you want is a greatsword. That is roughly equal to the length of a weapon used for the PAM feat. You simply re-fluff it and re-skin the damage down

So it becomes a greatsword with all the same properties except for now its a 1D10 slashing with reach.

The bonus action from the feat becomes 1D4 Piercing as you grip the blunt part of the sword and thrust forward, which is a legitimate move for certain types of greatswords.

And there you have it. Re-fluffed and balanced for the game in question.

I mean heck you can keep the blade at 2D6 really if you want, that's not going to "break things" all that much.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-04, 04:58 PM
Absolutely.

Principle: for the sake of balance and variety, every weapon should have pros and cons. No weapon type should be superior to another.

Reality of 5e: hand crossbows and polearms have better feat support and are superior weapons.

Resolution: feats that require a particular weapon type should have that restriction removed.

GWM should work with any melee weapon attack, Sharpshooter with any ranged weapon attack. Crossbow Expert should work with any ranged weapon, PM with any melee weapon.

zinycor
2018-03-04, 04:59 PM
The only thing I don't get is Why did the OP ask if this was ok for a player, if this isn't meant for a player.

vexedart
2018-03-04, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't allow it as you describe it, it is an exotic weapon, much like a gun blade, combining 2 weapons into one. Melees are good enough as it is with the feats available to them.

The phb has a feat that gives you proficiency with 4 weapons, make one up. If you can use an ice demon/devil spear, you can use your polesword. The feat tax is real, but this would allow what you want in your homebrew setting.

Elbeyon
2018-03-04, 05:24 PM
Quarterstaff; 1d6; bludgeoning; 4 lb.; Versatile (1d8)
Longsword; 1d8; slashing 3 lb.; Versatile (1d10)

The weapons are extremely similar. If the worry is a single point of average damage or damage type, have the longsword's damage dice downgraded and the type changed to blunt. The users technique requires a blunt longsword (and it reduces damage). Done!

Kish
2018-03-04, 05:58 PM
The only thing I don't get is Why did the OP ask if this was ok for a player, if this isn't meant for a player.
Some people write "player" when they mean "character."

Vogie
2018-03-04, 06:32 PM
Listen, just forgo the formalities, and cross out "Polearm" in your book, so it's just called "1d10 Mastery"

Yay Swords & Spreadsheets