PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What Skill Checks Should I Ask For?

Palanan
2018-03-03, 09:58 AM
In my game session tonight, the PCs will come across a pair of bodies which, improbably enough, have been bitten and/or slashed by three different creatures over the course of a single night. (I didn’t plan this at all, but sometimes players just hand you a situation.)

What skill checks should I have them roll to determine which creature created which wound? Basically I’m going for a Knowledge (forensics) roll, which I like to call the “Knowledge: CSI” roll. But what skill checks would be appropriate here?

Right now I’m thinking a Perception check to detect the different wounds, and then a Knowledge (nature) or Knowledge (arcana) to determine which creature caused which wound. Does that seem workable, and if so, what DCs would be appropriate?

RoboEmperor
2018-03-03, 10:02 AM
Heal check identifies the wounds on the bodies.

edit: The only example I have on hand is from Age of Worms' first module. "A DC 10 Heal check reveals that the bones have been cracked open as if something was trying to get the marrow within. The body has been dead for 50 years or more."

But this is 3.5 not pathfinder.

Palanan
2018-03-03, 10:10 AM
Interesting, thanks. I'm not sure if anyone in the party has much in the Heal skill, but I'll keep this in mind.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-03, 10:56 AM
Heal check is the correct skill to locate the wounds. A Knowledge check would then be necessary to identify the creature that caused the wound. The creature type would determine which Knowledge was required - the same skill needed to identify the creature.

Palanan
2018-03-03, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner
Heal check is the correct skill to locate the wounds. A Knowledge check would then be necessary to identify the creature that caused the wound. The creature type would determine which Knowledge was required - the same skill needed to identify the creature.

Excellent, thanks. This looks like the way to go.