PDA

View Full Version : What's the default starting age?

sorcererlover
2018-03-03, 11:11 AM
I'm reading Eberron campaign setting, Player's guide to eberron, and Races of Eberron, but I cannot for the life of me find the starting adventuring age, height, and weight of the races introduced here!

So how do you determine the default starting age for warforged, shifters, changelings, Kalashtars, and others?

Nifft
2018-03-03, 11:13 AM
Changeling: as Human

Kalashtar: as Human

Shifter: as Human

Warforged: the day after the warrantee expires

sorcererlover
2018-03-03, 11:14 AM
Changeling: as Human

Kalashtar: as Human

Shifter: as Human

Where does it say that? I've been trying to find where it says that.

Nifft
2018-03-03, 11:19 AM
Where does it say that? I've been trying to find where it says that.

Oops, I'm wrong about those.

Page 27 of the Eberron Campaign Setting book has the actual starting ages & aging effects. (Warforged start at 0 years old and have a very strange relationship to class complexity...)

sorcererlover
2018-03-03, 11:28 AM
Oops, I'm wrong about those.

Page 27 of the Eberron Campaign Setting book has the actual starting ages & aging effects. (Warforged start at 0 years old and have a very strange relationship to class complexity...)

Thanks. I guess next time I should read the entire section instead of just the race's entry.

Nifft
2018-03-03, 11:30 AM
Thanks. I guess next time I should read the entire section instead of just the race's entry.

They're inconveniently clustered after the "Regions of Origin" section, right at the end of the chapter.

https://i.imgur.com/PJvQ0hD.png

RedMage125
2018-03-03, 12:26 PM

That's easily explained, if you think about it. The "Simple" classes were the one available to early-model warforged. Warforged who were created to be able to handle more complex classes (like wizard) were not produced until later models.

Dragolord
2018-03-03, 06:43 PM
That's easily explained, if you think about it. The "Simple" classes were the one available to early-model warforged. Warforged who were created to be able to handle more complex classes (like wizard) were not produced until later models.

It's less that they were incapable of it, and more that House Cannith didn't realise the true potential of what they had built for a few years. There's nothing stopping an eleven-year-old fighter from multiclassing as a cleric, for instance.

RedMage125
2018-03-03, 10:26 PM
It's less that they were incapable of it, and more that House Cannith didn't realise the true potential of what they had built for a few years. There's nothing stopping an eleven-year-old fighter from multiclassing as a cleric, for instance.

I never said they couldn't handle it. I said later models were CREATED TO handle it. Keith Baker once said that the appearance of spellcasting warforged was initially a surprise to House Cannith (sorcerer is a Simple class). As the years went on, they were able to refine the process to intentionally produce warforged with spellcasting abilities.

Forrestfire
2018-03-03, 10:31 PM
It's actually a bit more complicated than that; it's a combination of the early warforged being built for simpler jobs, and later warforged being more advanced (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/108917/were-warforged-starting-ages-ever-explained/108925#108925). They didn't, strictly, refine the process to intentionally make more spellcasters, though—they just started teaching them to be spellcasters, and newborn warforged are excellent students.