PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Telekinetic Charge and Ready

Korahir
2018-03-03, 11:45 AM
Dear fellow Playgrounders,

I stumbled upon this rule conundrum. Maybe you can falsify (or verify) my interpretation and offer the correct sequence. The following is happening:
Enemy A (a mid level caster without any contingencies) is in sight of Caster B and Melee C. Everyone rolls initiative: Caster B and Melee C have higher results than Enemy A.

Caster B moves and uses Ready (Standard Action): When Enemy A is starting to cast a spell, I want to cast Telekinetic Charge targeting Melee C.
Melee C moves (in range of Caster B) and uses Ready (Standard Action): When Enemy A is within reach, I want to attack him with my weapon.
Enemy A starts his turn and wants to cast a spell as a Standard Action.
Ready Action of Caster B triggers and launches Melee C right next to Enemy A.
Melee C uses an immediate action to attack Enemy A.
Ready Action of Melee C triggers. He attacks Enemy A as a Standard Action. Not possible because the immediate action is taken before the readied action which cancels the readied action.
Enemy A rolls Concentration against possible damage taken.
???Enemy A rolls Concentration to cast defensively OR Melee C makes an attack of opportunity because Enemy A triggers is by casting next to him (possibly twice if it is a ranged touch spell).???
Caster B and Melee C end up with an initiative score one above Enemy A (according to the Ready Action).

Is this sequence correct? Where am I horribly wrong? The one marked with 3 question marks is the point, I can't wrap my head around.

martixy
2018-03-04, 10:38 AM
Based on how Ready (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#TOC-Ready) is worded, I'd say first, the readied action is resolved, initiative changes, then the immediate action can resolve.

Korahir
2018-03-04, 10:54 AM
Based on how Ready (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#TOC-Ready) is worded, I'd say first, the readied action is resolved, initiative changes, then the immediate action can resolve.

Do you mean by that, that the melee can use his readied attack before the resolve of the immediate action? Because that sounds dubious to me.

What's your take on the Concentration checks? Does the sudden threat of casting while standing next to a melee lead to a forced check or to an automatic attack? I'd lean to a forced check because defensive casting is a choice made by the caster and clearly in this scenario the choice couldn't be made before the readied action.

martixy
2018-03-04, 11:44 AM
Do you mean by that, that the melee can use his readied attack before the resolve of the immediate action? Because that sounds dubious to me.

What's your take on the Concentration checks? Does the sudden threat of casting while standing next to a melee lead to a forced check or to an automatic attack? I'd lean to a forced check because defensive casting is a choice made by the caster and clearly in this scenario the choice couldn't be made before the readied action.

Why would it be dubious? It seems both supported by the rules, and balanced.

As for concentration checks - my take is that the AoO is provoked at the start of the action. Therefore no AoO is provoked by the caster, since at the start of his casting no one was around him, but he must make a concentration check after potentially taking damage as normal. No AoO provocation, therefore no need for casting defensively.

Korahir
2018-03-04, 12:22 PM
Why would it be dubious? It seems both supported by the rules, and balanced.

As for concentration checks - my take is that the AoO is provoked at the start of the action. Therefore no AoO is provoked by the caster, since at the start of his casting no one was around him, but he must make a concentration check after potentially taking damage as normal. No AoO provocation, therefore no need for casting defensively.

What makes me hesitate to agree is the fact, that the immediate action granted by Telekinetic Charge is part of the spell. While I am not aware of a rule stating that, I always assumed that I have to finish all components of a certain spell or ability before another ability can interact.

I tend to agree at the no AoO too, but I also cannot find any RAW to support it. I'll run it by the DM and see what he says. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Rynjin
2018-03-04, 07:57 PM
What makes me hesitate to agree is the fact, that the immediate action granted by Telekinetic Charge is part of the spell. While I am not aware of a rule stating that, I always assumed that I have to finish all components of a certain spell or ability before another ability can interact.

Considering the Immediate action is optional (and, in fact, COULDN'T be followed through if the target has already used a Swift or Immediate action), I see no issue with it being taken after the Ready. If you can belay it entirely, you can delay it.