PDA

View Full Version : Running a Fantastic locations adventure

dorisfrog
2007-08-29, 03:36 AM
I'm thinking of running Fane of the Drow but my PC's party is only 2nd and 3rd level (there's 4 of them) and the adventure is for 4th level can anyone help me scale down the adventure as I'm quite new to DM'ing and don't quite know how to
cheers

Skyserpent
2007-08-29, 04:04 AM
It shouldn't be too tough just to kick the party up a level or two by punching in an extra, level appropriate challenge or two near the start of the story. Good DMing is all about being able to improvise when necessary. Good luck!

Matthew
2007-08-30, 02:05 PM
It's probably best to either wait until they actually are Level 4 or else just kick them up to Level 4 to play the Adventure. Alternatively, you could beef the pary up with extra NPC members.

RTGoodman
2007-08-31, 12:09 AM
Maybe just try to run another very short adventure that should beef them up a level or two. The Wizards website has a whole page full of adventures (http://shadow.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b) of every level that you can download. Just pick a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level adventure, and they should be ready to face the Drow soon afterward.

EDIT: Looking back over the list, "The Ettin's Riddle" seems like one that a lot of players might have fun playing through, since it's so different from a lot of adventures. "Something's Cooking" also sound like it could be fun, in a more light-hearted sort of way.

Matthew
2007-08-31, 05:23 AM
Something Cooking can indeed be a lot of fun. I will never forget the image conjured up in my mind of a Dwarf Monk delivering a flying kick to a Cannelloni Golem.