PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Psionics and Craft Alchemy

Falontani
2018-03-03, 04:55 PM
Probably one of the most stupid questions I'll ask on here, but I can't find the answer anywhere in my expanded psionics handbook; is a manifester able to use Craft Alchemy?

In the PHB it says that to use Alchemy you must have a lab and be a spellcaster, but I can't find anywhere where it allows a manifester to use Alchemy.

PacMan2247
2018-03-03, 07:16 PM
I'm not aware of any official ruling on it, either. Some of the things listed as alchemical items, like the everburning torch, are actually minor magic items, but the majority of them are things that have actually existed in our non-magical world; it's always struck me as nonsensical to require a caster to make things that obviously don't require magic. I've always been open to the idea of noncasters being able to do alchemy, but AFAIK it's strictly houserule territory.

Venger
2018-03-03, 07:21 PM
Transparency: spellcasters and manifesters are functionally identical, like different forms of precision damage. so you can do alchemy if you want to.

Falontani
2018-03-03, 07:29 PM
Transparency: spellcasters and manifesters are functionally identical, like different forms of precision damage. so you can do alchemy if you want to.

I do believe that, but where are the transparency rules?

Venger
2018-03-03, 07:50 PM
I do believe that, but where are the transparency rules?

they're on the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#combiningPsionicAndMagic alEffects) from the expanded psionics handbook

captain fubar
2018-03-07, 02:33 AM
some where in the early part of xpc (sorry don't have the book at hand at the moment so no page number) it explains what psionic powers are by saying that they are spell like abilitys with the following differences.... the list of distinctions is sufficiently long to make one wonder why bothered linking the two together at all.

as such even with out using the optional psy-magic transparency rules psions can oddly qualify for some of the character options intended for spell casters (though not all such options will give any benefit when qualifying for them in unexpected ways). stuff that requires spells of x level are generally fair game but stay away from things that require a specific spell, spell school, or caster level, and things that specify whether they are for arcane or divine magic.

Venger
2018-03-07, 03:41 AM
some where in the early part of xpc (sorry don't have the book at hand at the moment so no page number) it explains what psionic powers are by saying that they are spell like abilitys with the following differences.... the list of distinctions is sufficiently long to make one wonder why bothered linking the two together at all.

as such even with out using the optional psy-magic transparency rules psions can oddly qualify for some of the character options intended for spell casters (though not all such options will give any benefit when qualifying for them in unexpected ways). stuff that requires spells of x level are generally fair game but stay away from things that require a specific spell, spell school, or caster level, and things that specify whether they are for arcane or divine magic.

they're on the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#combiningPsionicAndMagic alEffects) from the expanded psionics handbook

It is literally in the post right above yours in that exact same link.

the only differences are that powers are slas and thus have no components. everything else is the same. they linked them so they could interact with each other using the same system.

transparency is the default. not using transparency because you don't like psionics is the optional rule.