PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with a kobold idea

oholoko
2018-03-03, 11:04 PM
So i will be playing ravenloft in a few days, my DM is letting me basically use anything pending approval of course. I am a fan of kobolds and know nothing about the campaign so i decided that i will probably won't have much access into towns being a kobold and all so i will probably won't be able to rely in charisma, i decided to go on shadowy ninja type character but i am still deciding on it and needing help with the build and all.

My plan for the character for now is to go Shadow way monk 6, Gloom stalker ranger 3, assasin rogue 3.
With that and the multiclass rules i get access to 4 skills(2 monk, 1 ranger, 1 rogue) and thieves tools.
My saves will be strength and dex. Str will help to offset the -2 penality on the stat from kobold.
The idea is to go monk 6 first, getting the ability to teleport in the shadows, the extra attack and the 'spells'. Then go for gloomstalker ranger for the extra attack on the first turn and a few real spells, probably 2 supports spells and hunters mark in case i can cast it before going in combat. Then rogue to be able to get expertise and the ability to decimate a foe if i go first in battle.

The buy will probably go like this:
17+1(level 4 buy)
15+1(level 4 buy)

The damage based on level i guess scales like this.
1-4 level
1d8+dex on the first hit, 1d6+dex on the second/third hit
5-7 level
1d8+dex on the first/second hit, 1d6+dex on the third/forth hit
8 level
In this level i get something interesting in case i am able to cast hunters mark before battle the damage becomes
1d8+dex+1d6 on the first/second hit, 2d6+dex on the third/forth hit
9 level
Same as before but add the
2d8+dex+1d6 in the first round of a battle.
10-11 level
Expertise is a interesting thing, but outside of 1d6 of sneak attack i don't think much changes.
12 level
Now this is a fun level where the combo really starts if i can get the opponent by surprise, what i expect to be the normal condition with so many support spells, high dex and expertise i can dish out
2d8+dex+1d6 on the first attack.
1d8+dex+1d6 on the second and third attack
2d6+dex on the forth and fifth attack.
On the first turn of battle with crit that goes to:
4d8+dex+2d6, 2x(2d8+dex+2d6)+2x(4d6+dex)

That gives about 113 damage on the first round if the stars align and god sends me a thumbs up in the first turn of battle. It's not exactly the highest most dependable damage dealer but it seems to work really well with hit and run strategies and has decently utility with the monk teleport, the ranger slots that will probably only be used to hunters mark once in a while, and of course with pack tatics i think i could hit most attacks outside of the surprise round... Of course 90% of the build goes out of the window once i am in the sunlight xD

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Should i go for more stats and grab ranger and rogue 4 so that i can at least cap dex and then start to invest in wis?
Any help is apreciated, also feats would help a lot as i come from 3.5/path...

Also if you need to know about the character background my plan is to have him be a project of a 'monster' that kills other 'monsters' and that could easily be treated as a simply stupid bold that was scavenging around the fort and not a threat to the lord of the fort.