PDA

View Full Version : Is the Heavily Obscured condition from Shadow of Moil considered magical darkness?

prototype00
2018-03-04, 12:15 AM
Just as the title says, for the purpose of Devil’s Sight (or an actual devil) is it considered Magical Darkness?

Armored Walrus
2018-03-04, 12:26 AM
The wording I see for Devil's Sight specifically says "both magical and nonmagical darkness." Not sure if that's what the PHB says, though, since I'm AFB. But that's the wording in the SRD and on D&D 5th edition wikia. So the answer to your question would be "it doesn't matter, because Devil's sight can see through it either way."

To give a broader, potentially more useful answer, though, it's Darkness created by a spell. That's magical darkness.

Crgaston
2018-03-04, 12:47 AM
I think regardless of whether or not an enemy has Devil’s Sight, the caster would still be heavily obscured.

The first sentence says the shadows cause you to be heavily obscured to others. The second sentence says the shadows turn bright light to dim light and dim light to darkness. Since dim light normally wouldn’t cause you to be heavily obscured, the heavy obscurement must be a specific and separate property of the spell.

prototype00
2018-03-04, 04:23 AM
So... unclear?

Oms
2018-03-04, 09:37 AM
It's not very clearly spelt out, but: the obscurement isn't magical darkness (or any sort of darkness, which is a separate effect from the spell).