PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Weapon?

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-29, 06:21 AM
Alright well earlier I was thinking about playing a priest of Shevarash and thought it sounded good. So I was gona get a long bow, but I wanted somthing like what frodo had with goblins and stuff with that sword of his. I figured it already existed but I thought Id make it up anyways so stop me if it is.

Minor Divantion: Dicern Location (or locate object) caster level 7

The weapon in your hand starts to vibrate slightly when it comes withen 60 feet of it's predesignated race.

Zincorium
2007-08-29, 06:32 AM
It'd be much better to base it off of detect undead instead of locate object or discern location, those are for finding a specific item. Just research a change in creature type from undead to goblinoid or whatever, alter it so that it's a radius around the caster instead of a cone, and have the weapon emnate it constantly. This is of course if you're a player and can't just talk it out with your DM.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-29, 07:19 AM
And probably stay away from vibration effects, a bow that starts throwing your aim off as soon as you get near your hated enemy would be annoying as hell.

light or sound based effects might be less sneaky but they'd fit the image of using a longbow better

KillianHawkeye
2007-08-29, 07:25 AM
I believe the Fiercebane special ability for weapons already does this. IIRC, it improves upon the bonuses from Bane and causes the weapon to glow when the creature type is within a certain distance.

I think Fiercebane was in DMG2, but I don't have my books handy.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-29, 04:13 PM
Ya changing it some sort of detect sounds better. And I do belive id have made it a radius effect anyways. But the other thing for warning some one would be growing warm/cold, start to hum so only you can hear it. I figured it would be called seeking, or searching only if seeking is taken. BUt ya ill talk to my DM.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-30, 01:45 AM
Complete Warrior had a "seeking" enhancement for thrown/missile weapons. I think it mostly just ignored all cover except total, or something like that. Maybe it was ignoring concealment from all cover.

Dhavaer
2007-08-30, 02:10 AM
I believe the Fiercebane special ability for weapons already does this. IIRC, it improves upon the bonuses from Bane and causes the weapon to glow when the creature type is within a certain distance.

I think Fiercebane was in DMG2, but I don't have my books handy.

You're right, it is in DMG2. The weapon glows when in 100ft. of a creature of its bane type.

Curmudgeon
2007-08-30, 10:07 AM
Seeking negates any miss chance that would apply because of concealment. Blood Seeking flies around cover to reach its target (as long as there's a path to it) but the 50% miss chance for total concealment still applies. Put both of these weapon special abilities together and your arrows are pretty hard to avoid. Each adds a +1 enhancement cost to your bow.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-30, 07:21 PM
Im not looking for that It was more of a question of if there was a enchantment that let you feel the presence of your speacil enamies.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-30, 07:28 PM
Im not looking for that It was more of a question of if there was a enchantment that let you feel the presence of your speacil enamies.

There's the Creature Compass (Menu A) Legacy Weapon power.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-31, 05:57 AM
Oh, ok Ill have to look that up.