PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a short mine adventure - need ideas

Beacon of Chaos
2018-03-04, 08:05 AM
Hey all. So coming up this week is the first session of a campaign I will be running. I have an adventure in mind, but I'd like some help fleshing it out.

The basics are that this is a sci-fi setting (specifically Borderlands, if that helps). The players will be tasked with going in to some mines to clear out some insect-like creatures that have made a nest there and driven out the miners. Whilst there they will find a hidden cavern that contains a map to a hidden treasure for the next session.

The trouble I'm having is finding interesting non-combat challenges for the players. So far I've got a faulty freight elevator that leads into the main part of the mine, so players will either have to fix it or climb down, and a broken walkway over a pit they'll need to get across (possibly while fighting).

Ideally I'd like something puzzle-like that requires and a bit more than just a skill roll or two to get past.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-04, 08:24 AM
How about the nest?

It wouldn't make much sense for the mine shaft itself to have intricate puzzles. But the nest itself could be as wacky as you want it.

You could throw in

secret tunnels hidden by membranous doors that reseal itself as you pass through
pit traps that slip deeper into open chambers with no obvious way out except back up the hole you just fell in
especially sticky/slippery parts of the walls or floor that can entangle the adventurers or cause them to slide and fall everywhere
exceptionally narrow passageways that taper into a tightrope situation, with a long fall below
vertical tunnels they have to climb up/down to get to the next level
the tropey, but always terrifying egg sac room they have to stealth through
a rotating guard pattern that they have to synchronize, or affect, in order to get past, because the guard types are too many/too strong to attack at the moment

johnbragg
2018-03-04, 10:07 AM
Assuming that levels aren't hard-coded to difficulty:

The main passage between two major sections of the mine is a few levels down--and is partially flooded. Maybe you throw in some water-monsters, maybe it's just an obstacle for the players to be creative in figuring out how to get stuff from Section A to Section B.

Pleh
2018-03-04, 11:23 AM
Possibly the most important piece of every puzzle is what tools the solver has at their disposal.

What system/mechanics are you using? What abilities do the players have?

Based on Borderlands, just about everything
Is solved by shooting it. Button out of reach? Shoot it. Teammate low on health? Shoot em. Failed a social encounter? That's what grenades are for. Out of ammo? Throw the gun and overload it to explode. Want to high five your friend? A pistol whip or sword slash should work.

Borderlands commonly had light puzzles that just involved tracing power lines back to the breaker switch. Sometimes the switch was put of reach and you had to shoot it. Then they block it from being shot and you lob a grenade.

Beacon of Chaos
2018-03-04, 04:10 PM
How about the nest?

It wouldn't make much sense for the mine shaft itself to have intricate puzzles. But the nest itself could be as wacky as you want it.

You could throw in

secret tunnels hidden by membranous doors that reseal itself as you pass through
pit traps that slip deeper into open chambers with no obvious way out except back up the hole you just fell in
especially sticky/slippery parts of the walls or floor that can entangle the adventurers or cause them to slide and fall everywhere
exceptionally narrow passageways that taper into a tightrope situation, with a long fall below
vertical tunnels they have to climb up/down to get to the next level
the tropey, but always terrifying egg sac room they have to stealth through
a rotating guard pattern that they have to synchronize, or affect, in order to get past, because the guard types are too many/too strong to attack at the moment

I'm amazed that this didn't occur to me. I'm gonna try and fit as many of these in as I can. The movement challenges here can even replace the ones I had planned.

Assuming that levels aren't hard-coded to difficulty:

The main passage between two major sections of the mine is a few levels down--and is partially flooded. Maybe you throw in some water-monsters, maybe it's just an obstacle for the players to be creative in figuring out how to get stuff from Section A to Section B.
This is a good option too. I don't know if I'll use water monsters, as I already have a couple of combat challenges planned, but I like the idea. Especially as none of my players have swimming as a skill :smallamused:

Possibly the most important piece of every puzzle is what tools the solver has at their disposal.

What system/mechanics are you using? What abilities do the players have?

Based on Borderlands, just about everything
Is solved by shooting it. Button out of reach? Shoot it. Teammate low on health? Shoot em. Failed a social encounter? That's what grenades are for. Out of ammo? Throw the gun and overload it to explode. Want to high five your friend? A pistol whip or sword slash should work.

Borderlands commonly had light puzzles that just involved tracing power lines back to the breaker switch. Sometimes the switch was put of reach and you had to shoot it. Then they block it from being shot and you lob a grenade.
I'm using Savage Worlds. Players are a self-proclaimed knight in steam punk armour, a teenage scientist, an ex-corperate character with mechnical skills, a reformed psycho (sorta), and a robot support character.

I'm not trying to recreate the games completely here. It's going to be somewhere between the main series and Tales. The players have guns but aren't unstoppable badasses and (hopefully) won't try to solve everything with bullets.

Now that you've mentioned power lines though, I'm imagining some kind of puzzle where a door is electronically locked and they need to find the power source to power it up and open it. I'll see if I can fit something like that in for the techy characters.

Davrix
2018-03-04, 06:48 PM
Whilst there they will find a hidden cavern that contains a map to a hidden treasure for the next session.

The trouble I'm having is finding interesting non-combat challenges for the players. So far I've got a faulty freight elevator that leads into the main part of the mine, so players will either have to fix it or climb down, and a broken walkway over a pit they'll need to get across (possibly while fighting).

Ideally I'd like something puzzle-like that requires and a bit more than just a skill roll or two to get past.

Ok first and foremost, never "Assume there going to find anything unless your beating them over the head with the obvious look here sign but then its not really "hidden" In the end. (Side note the map should totally be a jack hologram recording of him talking about some hidden cache he stashed away.)

But onto idea's

Lets see this is borderlands so you could have them find a de-activated clap trap they have to repair and then ask questions. If you know the game, this will be great... Oh better idea. Find TWO clap traps and do the old one tells the truth and the other tells lies gag in claptrap fashion. There is a puzzle for you right there as well.

Hidden gas pockets that are flammable that are dangerous to you or maybe a monster standing right next to one that the player gets to blow up if they trigger it. Keep in mind if your using boerdlands logic the bugs are probably not that smart and so if the players notice the bugs always travel in say a straight line they can manage some fun little EXPLOSIONS.

The always fun convenorbelt smasher sequence.

If you want a bigger puzzle might i suggest a mine cart system that you set up at the start is broken and needs to be repaired at certain junctions. If they do so they have a quick easy escape rocket cart sequence of them blasting bugs on their way out at the end when the mine starts to cave in :)

The ever present ati-gravity jump pad sequence across caverns (I'm assuming re-spawn towers might be in this game)

Guns, more guns and if you don't think you put enough guns in. MORE GUNS.

Beacon of Chaos
2018-03-05, 03:02 PM
Ok first and foremost, never "Assume there going to find anything unless your beating them over the head with the obvious look here sign but then its not really "hidden" In the end. (Side note the map should totally be a jack hologram recording of him talking about some hidden cache he stashed away.)
"Hidden" was probably the wrong word. They are going to find it. It was just hidden before they got there. It's kind of an important plot point XD

Lets see this is borderlands so you could have them find a de-activated clap trap they have to repair and then ask questions. If you know the game, this will be great... Oh better idea. Find TWO clap traps and do the old one tells the truth and the other tells lies gag in claptrap fashion. There is a puzzle for you right there as well.
Ooh! Not gonna use it in this session but that's something I need to try. I had already resolved to annoy my players with at least one Claptrap :smallbiggrin:

Hidden gas pockets that are flammable that are dangerous to you or maybe a monster standing right next to one that the player gets to blow up if they trigger it. Keep in mind if your using boerdlands logic the bugs are probably not that smart and so if the players notice the bugs always travel in say a straight line they can manage some fun little EXPLOSIONS.
Yes good!

The always fun convenorbelt smasher sequence.
Already planned for a later dungeon :smallamused:

If you want a bigger puzzle might i suggest a mine cart system that you set up at the start is broken and needs to be repaired at certain junctions. If they do so they have a quick easy escape rocket cart sequence of them blasting bugs on their way out at the end when the mine starts to cave in :)
I did think minecarts, but wasn't sure how to implement it. This is a good idea! Definitely going in.

The ever present ati-gravity jump pad sequence across caverns
Not for this dungeon, but noted for later.

(I'm assuming re-spawn towers might be in this game)
Nah, I don't really view them as canon. Otherwise there are many dead characters in universe who would not be dead right now. I like the fact that Anyone Can Die(TM).

Guns, more guns and if you don't think you put enough guns in. MORE GUNS.
Not a problem. I spent a good amount of time coming up with a random gun system I can use for loot.

Algeh
2018-03-05, 09:54 PM
I keep reading this as "Creating a short mime adventure - need ideas", and let me tell you, all of my ideas on that subject are terrible.

On-topic, ones of the things to think about is how many cross connections you want to keep track of in your map. More connections between "paths" in the mine make for more possible different paths of exploration (and ways for PCs to avoid any one puzzle that stumps them by going a different way), but it probably doesn't make much sense that the miners would deliberately put a lot of cross-connections in rather than a bunch of dead ends. Critters that infested the mine, on the other hand, might well have made a few tunnels of their own if they have the ability to bore through rock.

Well-armed PCs can probably also bore through rock to create new cross-passages, although odds of their doing so without collapsing important things, like the roof over the spot where they're standing, may not be high...is there any mine equipment around they could use if they decided to forge their own paths? It may change the dynamics on some of your puzzles if they have the ability to go around the existing chokepoints with heavy equipment.

TheFamilarRaven
2018-03-06, 03:48 PM
The players have guns but aren't unstoppable badasses and (hopefully) won't try to solve everything with bullets.

Nothing much to add except to say this: Always be prepared for your players to solve everything with bullets. :smallamused:

Lord Torath
2018-03-06, 04:07 PM
Tunnel cave-in between them and the entrance, blocking the only obvious path back.

Possible escapes include lots and lots of digging and bracing, a small, twisty, insect-carved tunnel leading through the heart of the hive, a secret tunnel, a natural chimney (involving lots of climbing), an underwater river (dumping them who knows where, and requiring lots of breath-holding), and anything else the players come up with that sounds reasonable.

Beacon of Chaos
2018-03-06, 06:34 PM
I keep reading this as "Creating a short mime adventure - need ideas", and let me tell you, all of my ideas on that subject are terrible.
*note to self: bandit mimes*

On-topic, ones of the things to think about is how many cross connections you want to keep track of in your map. More connections between "paths" in the mine make for more possible different paths of exploration (and ways for PCs to avoid any one puzzle that stumps them by going a different way), but it probably doesn't make much sense that the miners would deliberately put a lot of cross-connections in rather than a bunch of dead ends. Critters that infested the mine, on the other hand, might well have made a few tunnels of their own if they have the ability to bore through rock.
The map is going to be mostly linear and I'm probably not even going to draw most of it out. I don't really want to make a maze of paths the players will spend ages exploring, our sessions are usually pressed for time as it is. They'll get descriptions of side paths which are there for thematic purposes but will contain little of interest. I hope this doesn't seem railroady, as the players will have plenty of ways to get through, but I know my group isn't a fan of long dungeon crawls. Also this is only my 3rd time GMing ever, and 2nd where I've written the game myself, so I'm also keeping things simple for me.

Well-armed PCs can probably also bore through rock to create new cross-passages, although odds of their doing so without collapsing important things, like the roof over the spot where they're standing, may not be high...is there any mine equipment around they could use if they decided to forge their own paths? It may change the dynamics on some of your puzzles if they have the ability to go around the existing chokepoints with heavy equipment.

Nothing much to add except to say this: Always be prepared for your players to solve everything with bullets. :smallamused:
That's what the pockets of exploding gas are for. :smallwink:

They will have a couple of opportunities to blast some thinner walls, if they wish. I'll be kind.

Tunnel cave-in between them and the entrance, blocking the only obvious path back.

Possible escapes include lots and lots of digging and bracing, a small, twisty, insect-carved tunnel leading through the heart of the hive, a secret tunnel, a natural chimney (involving lots of climbing), an underwater river (dumping them who knows where, and requiring lots of breath-holding), and anything else the players come up with that sounds reasonable.
I'll bare this in mind should the players do something to collapse a tunnel, but so far I think I've got enough to work with.

So far the rough flow is this:

Players are tasked with going into local mines to deal with a spiderant infestation. They're told that a nest has been built inside and they'll have to take out the queen as priority.
The nest is at the back of the mines. The players are allowed to ride a minecart in but may need to deal with obsticles along the way.
First challenge is the freight elevator down. It's at the bottom and is broken. It's a steep drop but an agile player may be able to slide or climb down. They can either all climb down or get someone to fix the elevator.
Then there's a security door into the main complex. It's powered down, so the players will need to repair and start up a nearby generator. This will attract spiderants who will burrow in to attack while the door is slowly opening. Or they can try to blast through, but they'll still attract enemies and can't get the minecart through.
They'll travel through a long mineshaft, where another spiderant ambush awaits. The generator may fail at this point, if not repaired properly, turning off the lights and giving the spiderants a stealth bonus. Players can possibly notice hidden gas pockets for some blasting fun.
They get to a split in the track. Left leads to a flooded tunnel. Potential for fatigue penalties if they can't hold their breath or succumb to the cold. Right leads to a large pit over which there are webs that can be climbed. The flooded path is longer but leads to a more hidden route. The pit is more direct but they are more likely to be spotted by bugs. Both paths end the minecart track, forcing them to leave it here.
Next area is the nest. There are pits leading further in requiring climb checks, as well as lots of bugs. There's an egg chamber before the boss room, requiring them to stealth or cause a few to hatch, making them fight a swarm. They may try to destroy the eggs, but this will alert stronger guards.
The Queen and her guards have made camp just past this. There are other small tunnels leading off this, one of which glows with a bluish light (the map chamber, hopefully really obvious).
After the boss fight and retrieving a map that will lead them to a vault key in a future mission, they will go to leave, but all the remaining eggs (if any) will begin to hatch. If they brought the cart with them, they can make a quick getaway. Otherwise they'll have to run and fight so as not to be overwhelmed.

One or more of these can be cut for time or if the characters are low on health/resources. Are there any obvious things I'm missing? Easy ways to bypass stuff? I know there's nothing super puzzley here but I think it gives the players some interesting challenges. One thing I could do is give them explosives to plant and destroy the nest at the start of the session, thus making the getaway more exciting.

Cespenar
2018-03-08, 04:07 AM
That sounds as interesting as a cavern-based spiderant quest can be. I don't think you need to add much else. If you really want, though, some explosives and/or some alchemical fires could make things interesting.

SirGraystone
2018-03-08, 03:30 PM
Sound good, I would:

- rolls every hours or so to see if the generator stay on. Depending of how well it was repair the chance of breaking down can be 10%, 30% or 50%.
- have the generator fails and reset it self after a few minutes randomly (or always at the worse time).
- give them a way to fix the elevator for quick exit at the end.
- think of at least 2 way to fix each problems, like door can have its lock hack, or just the door blow up, or find the code in an office computer.

Beacon of Chaos
2018-03-10, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all your tips guys. The session went well. I had to cut some stuff for time such as the lights going out or (sadly) escaping via minecart but otherwise it was a nice opener.