PDA

View Full Version : Dark sun campaign help: Muls

Dankus Memakus
2018-03-04, 10:37 AM
So I've been wanting to run a dark sun campaign and I have really been fleshing out my ideas lately, i.e. eldritch knight and arcane trickster= psionics and goliath= half giant. However, I've run into an issue. What to do about muls? They are classic and some group members of mine are itching to play them. My ideas:
Reskin half orcs
Reskin dwarves making mountain dwarves muls (or maybe duergar because they get spells to mimic psionics...although sunlight sensitivity sucks)

I really prefer not to have to use homebrew because I already am using it for non metal weapons and armor and defiling and all that and the homebrew muls I've found I dont really care for so I'd like a reskin. Plus then everyone can just use their PHB. What does everyone else think

Luccan
2018-03-04, 01:24 PM
Reskinning mountain dwarves looks like your best bet. I'm not finding anything about them all being naturally psionic, so Mountain Dwarf should work.

Naanomi
2018-03-04, 02:18 PM
Reskinned Goliath is what we did; though some people use that for half-giants

Corsair14
2018-03-05, 08:17 AM
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17833

I know you said you wanted no homebrew but Dark Sun isn't like playing Greyhawk or DragonLance and wont work really well with a simple reskin. The link I posted is one of the better 5e Dark Suns I have come across. And it has a Gladiator to replace the Paladin and all your armor and a good chunk of your weapons are already done for you. And its all free so you don't have to reinvent the wheel or buy new books.

How are you throwing in arcane trickster and the eldritch knight? I cant see how either of those could work since finding a preserver to teach a fighter how to use magic would be difficult if not almost impossible and a defiler isn't going to waste his time on a dumb fighter, not to mention the alignment issue.

Psionics is the other issue no one has really cleared up yet since they haven't been bothered to produce a Psionics book.

Dankus Memakus
2018-03-05, 11:17 AM

I know you said you wanted no homebrew but Dark Sun isn't like playing Greyhawk or DragonLance and wont work really well with a simple reskin. The link I posted is one of the better 5e Dark Suns I have come across. And it has a Gladiator to replace the Paladin and all your armor and a good chunk of your weapons are already done for you. And its all free so you don't have to reinvent the wheel or buy new books.

How are you throwing in arcane trickster and the eldritch knight? I cant see how either of those could work since finding a preserver to teach a fighter how to use magic would be difficult if not almost impossible and a defiler isn't going to waste his time on a dumb fighter, not to mention the alignment issue.

Psionics is the other issue no one has really cleared up yet since they haven't been bothered to produce a Psionics book.

I planned on using the spell point variant on those classes and just saying that they are psionics. So then I dont have to remove two classes that are quite popular at my table and still have a psionics flavor

Corsair14
2018-03-05, 01:15 PM
I would find that to be fairly powerful in a world without a lot of "magic." Its a world with a completely different flavor than standard D&D where survival is the name of the game and magic is fairly rare and characters are the under dogs. If you just ported over everything with a new skin then the players don't have to learn anything new and the world loses quite a bit of its alien flavor. Same reason there are gladiators, defilers and preservers but no paladins mages or monks and halflings are a bunch of skinny savage man eating barbarians instead of the jolly chubby hairy footed guys who serve food.

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-03-05, 01:27 PM
Honestly, your assessment looks good to me. I'd go through their spell lists and refluff them towards more psionics-oriented spells, but yeah, I think you're good.

Tetrasodium
2018-03-05, 01:30 PM
While I'm not the most well versed in darksun, this is an interesting thread that I hope continues to be. It's good to see darksun fans grousing about how you can't just simply reskin the "default setting" & it's mechanics without losing things

Dankus Memakus
2018-03-05, 09:48 PM
While I'm not the most well versed in darksun, this is an interesting thread that I hope continues to be. It's good to see darksun fans grousing about how you can't just simply reskin the "default setting" & it's mechanics without losing things

I recognize this like I said there are some homebrew edits like heat, no metal, and defilers. But really this is the only thing I can do until we get a dark sun supplement. Plus I'm the only one in my group whos played actual AD&D dark sun the others have 0 experience or played 4e dark sun. So it's okay if it's less brutal and I ease them into the world.

Edit: I recognize that this won't be real dark sun. But since 4/6 of my players have only played 5e and the other two 4e. They will probably enjoy a reskin because it's similar to what they know. If I wanted to show them real dark sun I'd call up my buddy and go grab his AD&D books. However I don't wanna teach them a new system (because i love 5e) and I dunno when we will get a 5e supplement.

DanyBallon
2018-03-06, 06:28 AM
In the 3e era there was a community dedicated to update Darksun to 3e and they created Athas.org The website is still up and running and in their forums (the Arena) there are a few conversions attempt to 5e. One of them the Darksun Reconstruction Project looks very promising. While not finished, the author already covered the PC races, convert Bard and Gladiatior as either archetype or full classes, offer three options for arcane magic, and covered as well divine magic (Cleric, druids and templars).

EDIT:

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewt...hp?f=5&t=17833

It appears we are talking about the same work, but published through different website :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2018-03-06, 06:48 AM

Ooh! That's nice work right there!

Dankus Memakus
2018-03-06, 09:12 AM
In the 3e era there was a community dedicated to update Darksun to 3e and they created Athas.org The website is still up and running and in their forums (the Arena) there are a few conversions attempt to 5e. One of them the Darksun Reconstruction Project looks very promising. While not finished, the author already covered the PC races, convert Bard and Gladiatior as either archetype or full classes, offer three options for arcane magic, and covered as well divine magic (Cleric, druids and templars).

EDIT:

It appears we are talking about the same work, but published through different website :smallbiggrin:

I may test this out later but first I don't wanna start on it. I like the gladiator class tho. My players really need to start on 5e. They still have trouble with preparing spells and all that.

DanyBallon
2018-03-06, 10:01 AM
I may test this out later but first I don't wanna start on it. I like the gladiator class tho. My players really need to start on 5e. They still have trouble with preparing spells and all that.

The Darksun Reconstruction Project is all 5e, but closer to the 2e fluff than WotC attempts in 3e (dragon mag issue) and 4e (campaign setting)