PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pawns boxes - worth it? Alternatives?

Albions_Angel
2018-03-04, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

I am back to mini hunting and I think I have a plan. I am going to get a single box of reaper minis, probably the hero collection, for player characters and then paint them myself (I collect 40K so own a few paints).

For monsters, NPCs, anything thats not the players, I want to go down the paper minis route, but I am looking for something a little sturdier. This idea came to me after seeing a couple of friends playing gloomhaven today, where the minis are printed on really thick card.

Im scouting around for some minis I like the look of (the less cartoony, the better! I miss the old 3.5e plastic prepainted minis) and I have found a handful of sites I could use that let me buy PDFs. The problem with that is my print quality and cutting sucks, I would have to use lower quality card stock, and it would all end up looking rubbish. I could get the PDFs and then go to a print shop, but thats yet another added cost.

I thought I found the solution with Pathfinder Pawns, namely the NPC and Bestiary boxes (both are very expensive, but have tons of minis in them). But before I invest in them, and while reading the reviews, I hit a snag. It seems theres only about 3 of each creature in the box. Can anyone confirm this? Is it still worth it to drop £70 on the Bestiary Box? Thoughts, suggestions? I am done with flimsy paper or thin card minis which bend and break and get smudged easily and have low print quality. I want something more substantial.