PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Warlock for Tome of Annihilation?

Rerednaw
2018-03-04, 04:29 PM
Hi folks. I'm joining a ToA game. The group has had about 6 sessions and got to play the most recent one. After the session I'm considering swapping out my Divination Wizard for a Celestial Warlock.

I had not played 5E since the beta and was unfamiliar with some of the changes.

Party so far:
Drow Paladin (tank). L3
Halfling Ranged Rogue. L3
Monk Melee. L3
NPC Melee (fighter?)
Guest NPC Melee (flying fighter) - gone after the session.
Me (Was VHuman Divination Wizard with Lucky feat). L1 fresh out of the clone vat.

In the single session the Monk dropped several (6?) times. Granted he's L3, charges every time (he is a flurry melee build) and he has low AC, the nature of the adventure had various creatures using aerial superiority (i.e. they all fly and PC's can't). We are terrible at stealth could never get the drop on our foes. The pally ran out of heals (I suggested limiting his LoH instead of blowing it all in one pop) and the party usually ends up scattered. My wizard tried to assist (he's divination but mainly has utility/control) frequently found himself all alone facing enemies. He cast his Grease spell to one side to block off foes and the Pally next round tried to walk into it (instead of going around through a friendly's square) The final fight had 2 PC's and 2 NPC's all down and dying before we won.

There were no opportunities for the wizard to use his knowledge...though he did end up being the scout for the party, climbing up (mage hand to place a rope FTW) and steathling (Lucky feat to reroll) alone. (The rogue doesn't scout, he is played as a ranged klepto who is terrified of dying.) We did find a single scroll...divine and some coin plus a quest item that one of the NPC's wanted and claimed.

So basically my wizard was a bad fit. With no coordination for use of control spells, limited instances for utility (though I had a lot of RP stuff which I had fun with) a scattered party and limited healing...I decided that my wizard would take a break next session while I tried something else. Everyone in the party including the DM chided me for not having enough DPS. I had thought that control/utility/lore skills was a valid role but apparently not for ToA. He did make use of a dagger and sling though.

So after that experience, since we're using Adventure League I'm going to rebuild and work with a Celestial Warlock. I know it won't stop the other pitfalls of the group but I'm hoping we can learn.

He's going to be ranged since 2/3 of the party are melee or tanks.

As a VHuman he gets a feat. I'm on the fence on Medium Armor (because it seems like we get a lot of combat and there isn't really a way for tanks to hold aggro at least as far as I have seen) or Lucky because having that re-roll literally saved PC's lives (re-rolled a medical check on a PC that was on last death save) and mine (re-rolled a nat 1 on a stealth check while scouting out the enemy's fortress) and what probably would have been a failed climb check.

The rest of his build so far:

Book
Variant Human Warlock (Celestial Pact Tome)

Stat Val Cst Rac Feat Total*
ST 10 02 00 00 10
DX 13 05 00 01 14
CN 13 05 01 00 14
IN 10 02 00 00 10
WS 10 02 00 00 10
CH 15 09 01 00 16
*The stats may change based on feat selection but so far I'm going with a 10 14 14 10 10 16 array (after all the adds) or something similar. Suggestions to change also welcome.

HP: 8+2 = 10 (+5+con thereafter) = 17 at L2.
AC: TBD

Atk: Eldritch Blast +4 vs. AC 1d10+3

Feat: *(variant human -> lucky or medium armor)
Cantrips:
- Eldritch Blast
- Mage Hand
+ Sacred Flame (celestial)
+ Light (celestial)
+ Shillelagh (tome pact)
+ Guidance (tome pact) 1d4 to an ability check.
+ Word of Radiance (tome pact, all foes I can see in 5 foot range, con save or 1d6 radiant) OR ??? (Vicious Mockery?)

Spells:
1-Armor of Agathys 1 hr 5 temp hp, if hit melee 5 cold damage.
1-Cure Wounds. Yah healbot. Touch 1d8+ability mod (cha)

Invocations: (2 gained at 2nd, +1 at various levels, can always switch 1 for another at each level gain)
Agonizing Blast
Devil's Sight(?)

Pact: Extra spells, Healing Light.

So I'm on the fence of Word of Radiance...I like the fluff but I'm guessing it may be too situational especially compared to the utility of say, Mending or Vicious Mockery? On the other hand I like the idea of nuking undead if he gets swarmed again.

Re spells: I'm not big on Cure spells, but this will keep PC's alive.
Aside from the Drow the entire party is not team Darkvision so I'm debating on Devil's Sight...but it just seems too good to pass up.

And of course, Lucky or Medium Armor? Going from Studded Leather to Chain Shirt+Shield+Dex seems like a very good boost. I looked at Inspiring Leader...but we don't usually get a short rest and the party blows through HP like cheese through a H'san. Plus the Celestial Pact is already pretty good with the heals.

Suggestions changes welcome and thanks!

EDIT: One more thought. I could embrace the dark side and go Hexblade instead...would solve the Armor Prof and I'd still get a VHuman feat...though no healing...decisions decisions...

EDIT2: I'm hearing we're going to face hordes of undead...

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-04, 04:56 PM
Looks pretty good to me.
I'd probably swap Shillellagh for Primal Savagery.
1-4d10 Acid damage. You only get the 1 attack.
Word of Radiance seems cool, but if you need it because you got swarmed, you might have bigger problems. For a Cleric that's going into melee with the 3rd level spell Blender Guardians active, it's a different story. Partly because they get to use Medium armor at base.

If you want some DPS and a bit of tankiness so you don't have to worry too much.. You could roll up a Cleric. Of any Domain you like, from both PHB and Xanathar's Guide.

Going Paladin/Celestial Warlock could work for you as well. Bit that's up to you.
My suggestion would be to roll up a Cleric, if you want to pack the Radiant damage to blast some undead fools.

SkylarkR6
2018-03-04, 05:01 PM
Suggest hex over armor of Agathys. You said you were trying to stay at range and hex+Eldritch blast will be much more bang for your buck. If you want to become a machine Gunner of ranged blasts, consider some sorc in your warlock. Divine soul sorc would give you some extra spells, couple extra spell slots and metamagic is fun.

Also word of radiance... Unless you go medium armor and start mixing it up in melee, you probably don't want to have that many people around you to make it truly effective

rbstr
2018-03-04, 07:04 PM
Shillelagh is a trap if you don't get extra attack or plan to use the SCAG weapon cantrips as your main damage source. (This is something a Celestial can be decent at with Green Flame Blade since they get extra damage on fire spells!)

Spamotron
2018-03-04, 08:03 PM
Do you have a read on how your DM rules on illusions? Many consider Minor Illusion to be the best cantrip in the game provided you have a DM who plays ball.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-03-05, 02:01 AM
Everyone else has already offered great character building advice so I hope you don't mind me offering this perspective:

Your party is less than competent, and they're blaming you for it.

You have a paladin, a monk, a rogue and two fighters and the problem is that you don't have enough DPS? Really? And it's the fault of the first level wizard?

Your rogue refuses to scout and your paladin strolls through your crowd control when he has other options.

Your party gets their butts kicked by flying enemies. I haven't played ToA, but that's probably down to poor encounter design, poor DMing, poor tactical play by the party as a whole, or melee characters who are too dumb to pack a ranged weapon.

You certainly CAN rebuild to bring more healing and DPS, but something tells me, with this pattern, next session they'll be blaming you for not bringing enough utility, control and lore.

Spamotron
2018-03-05, 12:26 PM
Something you should consider is the Inspiring Leader feat. As a Warlock you want short rests. IL gives a nice THP buffer to the entire party every short rest. Therefore your party is more incentivized to take short rests.

Zanthy1
2018-03-05, 12:34 PM
Everyone else has already offered great character building advice so I hope you don't mind me offering this perspective:

Your party is less than competent, and they're blaming you for it.

You have a paladin, a monk, a rogue and two fighters and the problem is that you don't have enough DPS? Really? And it's the fault of the first level wizard?

Your rogue refuses to scout and your paladin strolls through your crowd control when he has other options.

Your party gets their butts kicked by flying enemies. I haven't played ToA, but that's probably down to poor encounter design, poor DMing, poor tactical play by the party as a whole, or melee characters who are too dumb to pack a ranged weapon.

You certainly CAN rebuild to bring more healing and DPS, but something tells me, with this pattern, next session they'll be blaming you for not bringing enough utility, control and lore.

I want to second this. And third it.

MaxWilson
2018-03-05, 01:09 PM
Do you have a read on how your DM rules on illusions? Many consider Minor Illusion to be the best cantrip in the game provided you have a DM who plays ball.

This is probably based on a misreading of Minor Illusion. As written, it can only create a stationary object, basically a hologram, which cannot be picked up or moved or anything. Want to create an illusionary dagger that you can dramatically plunge into your own breast at the climax of your musical comedy? Sorry, Minor Illusion can't do that. (Prestidigitation might be able to--ask your DM.)

Minor Illusion is somewhat useful for creating things to hide behind, and/or mimicking voices and sounds. But, sadly, it can't do most of the things you'd want to do with at-will illusions.