PDA

View Full Version : DM Help CG Monsterous creature

haplot
2018-03-04, 04:53 PM
Hello. I'm currently creating a custom world for 3.5 using the rules for settlements in the DMG. As a result, there's a CG monsterous creature as part of the power structure of a human city.

The other power centres in the settlement is LN conventional and Temple LN.

Question is is what creature to make up the monsterous power centre.

The city in question is on a river mouth into a bay with a vast wood / forest area.

The majority of the population is human.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

atemu1234
2018-03-04, 04:57 PM
Well, as far as monstrous creatures go, it could be pretty vague. By the rules, it could be anything from a tibbit to a doppelganger to a demon.

I'd go for something like a Doppelganger. It'd fit in pretty well, and is probably infiltrating the city.
Or, you could have the city be ruled over by a Modron or something.

haplot
2018-03-04, 05:04 PM
Modrons sound interesting.

You got a book / page reference for that? or it is on the interweb? :D

atemu1234
2018-03-04, 05:06 PM
Modrons sound interesting.

You got a book / page reference for that? or it is on the interweb? :D

Dragon Magazine #354.

haplot
2018-03-04, 05:08 PM
ahh i see, aint got the dragon mags.... and i just had quick look on internet, and modrons are LN, not CG

I know i could change it, but would prefer a CG monster of some description if possible

DrMotives
2018-03-04, 05:24 PM
Don't change Modrons' alignment, they're exemplars. That'd be like changing Devils to NG, it just doesn't make sense. Modrons exist to be the example of Law to everything else in existence. Yes, rogue Modrons are a thing, (Modrons that stop serving Mechanus) but even those are still almost all Lawful of alignment.

Karmea
2018-03-04, 06:04 PM
Yeah, don't go modron, go eladrin if you want an exemplar, they're the CG variety. There's also lillends, asura, shapeshifted brass/copper dragons, djinni, various fey, etc... There are a lot of CG creatures. What power level? Why is it there? What does it want?

haplot
2018-03-04, 06:13 PM
Any power level really.

Asuras sounds cool, but was thinking along the lines of nymph or dryad promoting the ideals of nature.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-04, 06:36 PM
Cityscape has an urban fey creature called the Zeitgeist that, while usually CN can have varied alignments depending upon the city. So when you say Monstrous, do you mean the Type called Monstrous Humanoid, or just generally monstrous in the sense of not a civilized being.

haplot
2018-03-04, 06:56 PM
Was thinking monstrous as in none of the standard PC races.

Will have a look at Zeitgeist now. Thank you for the heads up

atemu1234
2018-03-04, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure how I read CG as LN, but, through some miracle, I managed to.

Make it one of the rainbow fox things from Fiend Folio. Those are just funny.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-04, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure how I read CG as LN, but, through some miracle, I managed to.
When I first read the title, I was trying to figure out how CGI was being incorporated into the game. I was really excited by the prospect, so the realization it was just a Chaotic Good Monstrous creature was a bit of a letdown. :smallannoyed:

martixy
2018-03-04, 10:24 PM
I'm somewhat fond of Banshrae (Banshraes? Banshrai?). Anyway, they're pretty fun fae from MM5.
A metallic dragon would be the classic answer here.

A good-aligned mind flayer would be an interesting curve-ball.

haplot
2018-03-04, 10:38 PM
When I first read the title, I was trying to figure out how CGI was being incorporated into the game. I was really excited by the prospect, so the realization it was just a Chaotic Good Monstrous creature was a bit of a letdown. :smallannoyed:

Sorry to disappoint.

As for Banshrae, and your other ideas Martixy, I will have a look at them. They definitely sound great.