PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian or fighter?

Alpha115
2018-03-04, 05:50 PM
So my brother and I are going to be playing a game of curse of strahd next week. We are starting at level 1. So my big question is this my brother is new to 5e and is wanting to try a new class, He is stuck between fighter and barbarian. He has made a few characters in 5e so far, a paladin, a druid, and a bard. However he has had a really hard time with those classes and mostly forgets to use his abilities, and spells (and sometimes forgets to learn or prepare them). The paladin was the most effective character he has played so far, I was thinking he should try fighter, but I was wanting some ideas from other sources.

Desteplo
2018-03-04, 05:57 PM
Barbarian has a lot of features that he might forget: reckless attack, advantage on dex saves, etc

Rage is probably going to be the easiest to remember but eventually even that will gain bonuses he’s going to need to remember

-the easiest answer is “champion fighter” all he needs to remember (or for you to remember for him) is he Crits in a 19. Otherwise he can heal himself a little or take an extra turn

2D8HP
2018-03-04, 07:48 PM
I second the Champion Fighter as a great "training wheels" class.

After your brother has had enough practice with Champion Fighter then try other classes levels.

opaopajr
2018-03-04, 07:53 PM
Fighter and don't look back. It would also help him focus on the basics, like tabulating all his PC options per turn. And there is always Improvised Action and Ability (skill) checks to explore.

Depending how well he "relearns" the game by 3rd Lv, you then have an idea which Archetype will best suit him.

BBQ Pork
2018-03-04, 07:59 PM
Maybe make a flowchart for his character's combat actions?

Or hit his character sheet with a yellow highlighter for "things to remember in combat"?

Just spitballing.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-05, 12:03 AM
I like to note one the bottom right column what me character can do, when it refreshes(sr or lr), and how much of it I've uses up
I'll add a small note on what page in what book I can find more details, for reference.

Maybe that's an idea?

ImproperJustice
2018-03-05, 12:11 AM
Also, as has been said, the Champion is a great beginner character.
Has a few useful abilities that recharge on a short rest and the rest are easy to remember passives that apply to a lot of different combat styles.

MxKit
2018-03-05, 12:50 AM
I definitely recommend Fighter, not just because of the simple main chassis (which the Barbarian also has going for it almost as strongly, as you've noticed), but because of the subclasses.

For the first couple of levels, see how he's doing and let him feel out how comfortable he is. When he hits level three, he can figure out whether he wants to stay incredibly simple, or take on a subclass with a bit more to it, or try picking up a bit of magic again.

If he wants to keep things simple, he'll be happy with Champion. If he wants a bit more complexity but without having to worry about spells or switching up his fighting style too much, he might enjoy Battle Master, Cavalier, or Samurai. If he wants to play around with spells a little without actually getting spells, he might like Arcane Archer. If he wants to actually try some spells again, Eldritch Knight offers him a potentially less overwhelming number of slots.

I would say that, if starting with Variant Human, I'd stay away from a lot of the feats because they're basically adding a class ability (which he might forget he has), or of course access to spells. Starting with Shield Master or Sentinel just gives him more to remember; starting with Resilient (Wis) just lets him adjust an ability score, mark proficiency in Wisdom saves, and forget about it, and starting with Skilled just lets him write down some skills/tools and forget about it. Later on, if he decides he wants to add in a bit more complexity here and there, feats are a good way to do it.

Also, I'd advise him to stay away from multiclassing for at least a tier or two. Again, if he wants to keep it simple initially and then wants to add in more complexity, he might enjoy eventually going Champion/Totem Barbarian or something, but I'd recommend keeping it simple until he's sure he wants to add in that complexity.

Finally, I'd also like to note that Fighter is especially suited to letting him work out exactly what he wants to be able to to over the course of the game, and then letting him do it. They get so many ASI/feats that if he doesn't want too much complexity, but realizes he likes playing his Champion as very deceptive and wishes he could contribute more into the social pillar, he can easily sink some ASIs into Charisma, and even Skilled or Prodigy for Deception if he didn't already have it. Likewise if he gets frustrated with not being as perceptive as he's realized he wants to be, or as skilled, etc. Yeah, it's not as optimal battle-wise as maxing Strength and Constitution to 20 and snagging PAM and GWM and all that, but it lets him choose to focus in what he decides he likes best, and correct what he feels like he's lacking in.

opaopajr
2018-03-05, 02:15 AM
I think leaving the PHB open to Ch.9 Combat, <Actions in Combat> section should help.

Also Post-It Note Memorize:
Move,
Action,
One Free Environment Interaction,
[Bonus Action Slot,]
Reaction.

Then let him explore Improvised Actions and One Free Interact with the Environment. As long as the GM is not ability (skill) check happy, ("roll to see if you can digest food!"), there's a lot of fun things to do!

GlenSmash!
2018-03-05, 12:03 PM
I love Barbarians, but as has been pointed out they have a lot more to remember than one might think. Deciding when to rage, when to reckless attack, and having advantage on Dex saves is a bit to think about, and that's only level 2.

Champion Fighter is great, or if you allow UA you might want to try the Brute Fighter.