PDA

View Full Version : true strike

Jimbob
2007-08-29, 07:31 AM
Greetings,

Very quick question. Im looking to make an item with true strike in for my wizard with his touch spells, more then likely a ring but not fussed waering it any where else but I have no idea how much it will cost and what caster level.

So true strike 3 times a day, 50 charges and constantly running, prices please.

Thank you all

Foolosophy
2007-08-29, 07:43 AM
by my judgment as a DM (the rules for item creation are not working as intended, a fact acknowledged by their inventors and the reason for the choice to only include rough guidelines in 4th) I would say

3/day: a reasonable cost
50 charges: see above
at will / continuous: unaffordable

Funkyodor
2007-08-29, 07:59 AM
Unlimited Activation = 8000g (I used the multiplier for 1 round duration)
Command Activation = 1800g (does not have a reference to duration multipliers)
3 times a Day = 1080g
50 Charges = 900g

Wow, you just found a cheap item that provides nigh unlimited +20 attack bonus! Just make sure your character sleeps lightly. Or that your DM doesn't smack you too hard...

Edit: Doah Math problem

Starbuck_II
2007-08-29, 08:06 AM
Greetings,

Very quick question. Im looking to make an item with true strike in for my wizard with his touch spells, more then likely a ring but not fussed waering it any where else but I have no idea how much it will cost and what caster level.

So true strike 3 times a day, 50 charges and constantly running, prices please.

Thank you all

3/day is possible.
Caster 1 x spell level 1 x 2000 K:
Now 3 charges/divide by 5 to get multiplier=.6
So final Price 1, 200 f0r 3/day.

50 Charges? A Wand? 750 (need the spell in spell list, but as a Wizard you do).

Persistent True Strike? Nor affordable prior to epic.

Tyger
2007-08-29, 08:09 AM
Unlimited Activation = 4000g (I used the multiplier for 1 round duration)
Command Activation = 900g (does not have a reference to duration multipliers)
3 times a Day = 540g
50 Charges = 450g

Wow, you just found a cheap item that provides nigh unlimited +20 attack bonus! Just make sure your character sleeps lightly. Or that your DM doesn't smack you too hard...

And thus the rules were applied, and verily the people did cry out in anguish as the gods decreed that all must suffer and perish for the sins of the few...

Mates, the item creation guidelines are... guidelines. Rule number one of any new magic item is compare it to anything that is similar. In this instance, compare any at will or continuous Trus Strike item (though if you actually read the spell's description, you'll see that continuous is not possible) should be priced at approximately the same as a +20 to hit weapon... so its simply not available.

Do not make the mistake, that so many do, of applying the magic item creation rules without actually reading the whole set of rules. When you do, you get mistakes like the above.

Galdor Miriel
2007-08-29, 08:18 AM
Unlimited Activation = 4000g (I used the multiplier for 1 round duration)
Command Activation = 900g (does not have a reference to duration multipliers)
3 times a Day = 540g
50 Charges = 450g

First, the 50 charges. A wand of true strike would be be 750 gp value. Why would your 50 charge ring be cheaper?

3 times a day, 540 gp. That seems very cheap, a pearl of power, single use first level effect is 1000 gp and takes a standard action.

If you wanted a ring to cast true strike as the spell as a standard action 1 per day 1000 gp would be fair. 3 times a day 2000 gp?

If you wanted it to be a swift thats equivalent to a fourth level spell so 16000 gp, 3 times a day, maybe 32 000 gp?

Continuous, would not allow it as your pc suddenly becomes boring when they only miss on a 1. Not much point playing if there is no challenge without an anti magic field hung on every baddy.

Its not really covered by the rules so what you are really looking for is balance. If it is cheap then a paladin could use it to power attack with full bab on a leap attack and do an ungodly amount of damage with a rhino rush.

The Prince of Cats
2007-08-29, 08:23 AM
As a DM, I would allow the charged and the 3/day versions as per the rules in the book. The activate on command one, I would probably allow with the proviso that it might get nerfed depending on how broken it is. I see no reason why it would be broken, but I would still be careful.

Constant effect? That one is not so simple. A +20 sword (which is not possible, since enchantments go up to +5) would be 800,000gp IIRC, so 400,000 for an attack-bonus only version (using ranged weapons as a basis for comparison) and that would be for a ring keyed to a single ray type. (based on the ring's enchantment being the equivalent of enchanting a sword or bow) I might even add another zero for 'any ray'. So... 8,000,000 (yes, eight-million) gold for that little artefact - the same as the total assets of a small city. (I looked it up in Cityscape)

Now, if you let a player have a ring that had a constant True Strike effect, it would be much more useful to a fighter and even the other party members might be tempted to kill the wizard in his sleep.

Jimbob
2007-08-29, 09:03 AM
I think i will go with the 3/day.

But looking at the SRD for once a day its 2000gp so how do you work out for 3/day? would it be 6000gp????

Thank you all

brian c
2007-08-29, 09:07 AM
Its not really covered by the rules so what you are really looking for is balance. If it is cheap then a paladin could use it to power attack with full bab on a leap attack and do an ungodly amount of damage with a rhino rush.

He can already do that if he has Shock Trooper; a ring of continuous True Strike would just keep him from taking a colossal dump from his AC, and save him two feats (Imp Bull Rush and Shock Trooper).

Person_Man
2007-08-29, 10:06 AM
1) You're having trouble hitting with Touch spells?

2) Activating a magic item is a Standard Action. Thus you're wasting a round to cast True Strike, when you could simply cast two spells. So a Ring of True Strike that's usable 3 times per day is actually hindering you from casting 3 additional spells that you could use to kill enemies.

3) The item creation guidelines in the DMG are simply guidelines. The real cost of the item is dependent on what your DM says its worth. WotC even specifically addressed (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a) a Ring of Continuous True Strike:

Use the Correct Formula: One item people frequently ask me about is a ring of true strike. The spell provides a whopping +20 insight bonus on attack rolls and negates miss chances arising from concealed targets. It's only 1st level, however, because it is a personal range spell with a duration of 1 round. That means you can normally manage one attack every 2 rounds when using the spell. Also, you can't bestow it on an ally (except for a familiar or animal companion) because of its personal range.

Assuming such a ring worked whenever it was needed and has a caster level of 1st, it would cost a mere 2,000 gp by the formula for a use-activated spell effect (in this case, 1 x 1 x 2,000 gp). Sharp-eyed readers will note that any continuously functioning item has a cost adjustment of x4 (see the footnotes to Table 7-33), which bumps up the ring's cost to 8,000 gp. That's a real bargain for an item that provides so much boost to a user's combat power. Much too great a bargain.

So, what would our example ring of true strike be worth? Insight bonuses aren't included on Table 7-33, but a weapon bonus has a cost equal to the bonus squared x 2,000 gp, so a +20 weapon would cost 800,000 gp. One can argue that the ring isn't quite as good as a +20 weapon because it doesn't provide a damage bonus. That, however, ignores the very potent ability to negate most miss chances. Also, the ring's insight bonus works with any sort of attack the wearer makes. On top of all that, the insight bonus stacks with any enhancement bonus from a magic weapon the wearer might wield. Still, 800,000 gp is a lot of cash and the lack of a damage bonus is significant, so some price reduction is in order. A 50% reduction might be in order, or 400,000 gp for the ring.

Would you pay 400,000 gp for a ring of true striking? I would if I could afford it. At a price of 400,000 gp, our mythical ring of true strike is something only an epic-level character could afford. That's fine, because epic play is where the ring belongs.

UglyPanda
2007-08-29, 10:12 AM
Ring of True Strike is used as the main evidence that magic item creation guidelines have problems. As has been stated multiple times, continuous true strike should cost as much as an +20 item. That's 20^2*2000. Anything with a market price of over 200k is then multiplied by another 10 because it's epic. That's an 8 million dollar item. I think that the price for continuous was meant for spells with actual durations, not instantaneous spells. Otherwise, you could claim to have a "wand of continuous fireball". I just don't think it works that way.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-29, 10:39 AM
Take a look at the Magic Items compendium. There is an item in there that gives you true strike once or twice a day I think that is reasonably priced. Don't try to homebrew an item like this though, it will only tick off your DM.