PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing

Falcon X
2018-03-04, 06:27 PM
So, we are playing a Lost Vikings game, where my players are time travelling Vikings who can't find their way home. Long story short, they are going to shoot millions of years into the future and I'm going to say that all time travelers from our earth end up in the Plane of Ranch Dressing as a sort of temporal anomaly.

I'm looking for ideas of monsters and mayhem, but also new locations and mundane creatures they might run into here. As this is a silly concept, I accept ideas that are supremely silly or quite serious.
Thanks!

The concept so far:
Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing
Strongly Chaotically aligned
The Plane is a swirling mass of various elements, flowing together, not unlike Limbo. Much like Limbo, a sufficiently intelligent individual can use their willpower to shape the terrain around them for travel or living purposes. Most of the sauce matter here is white with little flecks of black and sometimes blue, red, or green interspersed.
The plane has 1000 permanent “islands” that are bubbles within the plane were people inhabit. Not all of these are known about. They were created when the Plane of the Thousand Island Dressing was absorbed into the Plane of Ranch Dressing, making it one of the more inhabitable of its grouping of semi-elemental planes.
The Ranch Plane is part of a grouping of mock Inner planes thought to be an offshoot of Limbo, including the planes of Mayonnaise, Bleu Cheese Dressing, Buttermilk, Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Yogurt. It is said there used to be other planes in the grouping, but true to Outer Plane form, some fell to believing they were parts of the other planes and thus became absorbed by them.

1000 Islands:
265: Chronomancer’s Glave. When Chronomancer’s discovered the plane, they detected that it had a strong anachronistic quality to it, as if its building blocks were not from this space and time. Indeed, a few travelers from a place called “Earth” have appeared here, in which Ranch Dressing is a common food item. The Chronomancers are obsessive about this temporal anomaly. They are largely a human society.
346: Saucerer’s Temple. Ruled over by the Saucerer Supreme, this group of monks train in magical and martial arts connected to the plane, with the Saucerer Supreme being able to control miles of Ranch Dressing matter with a thought.
- Members are known by their gauntlets, which are made from blackened broccoli. Gemstones in the gauntlets denote station. White denoting low ranking members. Green for warriors. Orange for healers. Blue for masters. Red for the Supreme.
508: Fortress of the Order of the Carrot Stick. Home to some rich adventurers who made their home here.
516: The Hidden Valley: A great Ranch Dressing Elemental Kingdom ruled by Prince Oozalot and Princess Gootrude.
517: Fortress of the Onion Knights
555: Mountain of Peppercorn: An active sauce volcano inhabited by Black Pepper Salaads.
686: Ranzerith: A Githzerai city, kept as hidden as possible as a last bastion if their people are wiped out from other planes.
938: Home to the god, Herb
942: Summer home of the Glutton, gnome deity of hunger and evil. Covered in worms.

Flora:
Lemon trees – Trees that have lemon pulp as bark, grow seeds as leaves, and secrete a large amount of sap.
Root Carrots – Small carrots that grow in the ground as a type of grass.
Chive Grass – The common type of grass found on the plane. It can be found growing anywhere and is often seen surrounding dwellings, contained in an orange picket fence.
Black Pepper Rocks – The Black Pepper trees can grow truly massive, and their seeds break off to become the rocks and boulders of any given region.
Carrot Sticks – The most common building material. These grow tall out of the ground and can be cut to make many things with. A common alchemical technique is used to harden the carrots into an almost rock-like material, changing the color to an almost white shade.
Giant Broccoli sprouts – Known for having magical properties. They are rare, but can be hardened into great weapons and building materials. The Broccoli population watches closely over their growth, prizing them for their “dippingness”
Giant Bell Peppers – These peppers never stop growing and, when large enough, are often hollowed out into dwellings.

Fauna:
Humanoid Species: Humans, Githzerai, Salaads
Ranch Dressing Elementals
Mayo Elementals
Dissapointment Beasts – Breed with Mayo Elementals to make Ranch Dressing Elementals
Winged Buffalos – The local herdbeasts
Buttermilk Cows
Shambling Salad Mounds
Sauce Dragons – of the Ranch, Mayonnaise, Bleu Cheese, and Thousand Island Varieties
Chivettes – Beautiful fae creatures renowned for their beauty who tempt inhabitants towards treacherous acts. A surprisingly common part of society.
Bleu Birds
Doomfridge – A beast that uses power from shocker lizards to produce blasts of cold.
Giant Worms: Hideous beasts that travel in the Dressing matter. Brought to the realm by the gnomish god, The Glutton.
Ghost Pepper Ghosts: Local spirits of the dead that radiate heat.
Calzone Golem: Creatures made randomly when too much heat is applied to the Ranch Dressing. This can be purposeful of accidental.This is one of the More unfortunate side effects of Ghost Pepper Ghosts.

Malroth
2018-03-04, 07:41 PM
Nasuea no save for as long as you're on the plane and persisting for 1d4 weeks afterwords.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-04, 07:42 PM
If you travel to the Special Sauce Ranch you will find a group of Celery Treants there herding giant Cauliflower trees.

DrMotives
2018-03-04, 07:55 PM
Savage Species has Ranch Dressing creature, although they re-fluffed it as gelatinous or something. Also, Manual of the Planes has the Ranch Elemental & the Ice Cream elemental, also weirdly refluffed as ooze & ice.

Ghost Pepper Ghosts are the spirits of the hottest things ever to pass away from the mortal realm.

flappeercraft
2018-03-04, 08:09 PM
Make the Celerity line of spells create Celery. All creation spells create more Ranch Dressing, summoning spells can only summon Ranch Elementals.

All Ranch elementals have the ability
Ranch (Ex): When a creature makes contact with a Ranch Elemental it is covered partially with Ranch Dressing. While covered it is more delicious and easier to swallow. Treat creatures affected by this ability as 1 size category smaller for the Swallow Whole ability and monsters with the Swallow Whole ability get a +4 Morale bonus on all of the Grapple related rolls against that creature. Any monster who sees a creature affected by this ability must make a Will save DC 20 or be forced to attack it. One can remove Ranch Dressing from itself as a Full-Round Action.

Of course Ranch Elementals have the Swallow Whole ability.

daremetoidareyo
2018-03-04, 08:49 PM
The evil dracolich mage Monosodium Glutamate!

DrMotives
2018-03-04, 09:01 PM
Gravy-touched ghouls prowl after dark. They are kept at bay by guards with asparagus spears.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-04, 09:08 PM
I like the idea of an MSG BBEG. MMMMmmmmm.... Tasty! :smalltongue:

Falcon X
2018-03-05, 08:33 AM
I think we have found our antagonist.

Ghost Pepper Ghosts
That is very beautiful and has much potential. Great idea!

Keep me coming guys!

Darrin
2018-03-05, 10:04 AM
I would have thought the Calzone Golem (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article1.asp?x=dnd/oa/oa20010413a,3) would have been mentioned by now.

...does that link still work? I can't tell.

daremetoidareyo
2018-03-05, 10:38 AM
you can use treant stats for sentient giant broccoli!

Falcon X
2018-03-05, 01:54 PM
I would have thought the Calzone Golem (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article1.asp?x=dnd/oa/oa20010413a,3) would have been mentioned by now.

...does that link still work? I can't tell.
Broken, but found a new one:
http://www.albinjohnson.com/d&d/resources/downloaded%20adventures/2%20-%20Cooking.pdf

Also, I’m thinking of making the Chivettes like the Greek sirens. The imagery I will use will probably be akin to that from Oh Brother Where Art Thou.
I’m thinking these are creatures that are avatars of chaos that are freely allowed to roam society and participate in politics. The normally lawful humans, giths, etc who succumb to them are tainted just a little more towards chaos.

SpamCreateWater
2018-03-06, 12:43 AM
Island 142: Balsam IC

Where IC stands for one of the following:

Interplanar Control - A tropical themed island where interplanar travellers are sent. The place is decked out like a tourist hot-spot, but the only tree that is ever seen (can be summoned/cultivated) are herbaceous plants with pink or purple flowers (balsam flowers).
Intercontinental College - An island where the leading schools of the planes of Mayonnaise, Bleu Cheese Dressing, Buttermilk, Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Yogurt mysteriously converged. As the leading minds were, conveniently, all in one place, you'd expect there to be flourishing academic debates; but arguments more often than not dissolve into quibbling over semantics and personal preferences, however unrelated to the topic they may be.
InterContinental - A hotel chain
Intelligence Community - Self explanatory
Edit again: InterCity - A "train" service that links some of the more well-known and stable islands to one another.

Edit: Also, Mayo monsters should be referred to as La Mayo or Le Mayo.

There should definitely be a character named Gurt, that everyone greets with "Yo."

Falcon X
2018-03-14, 12:47 AM
Island 142: Balsam IC

Where IC stands for one of the following:

Interplanar Control - A tropical themed island where interplanar travellers are sent. The place is decked out like a tourist hot-spot, but the only tree that is ever seen (can be summoned/cultivated) are herbaceous plants with pink or purple flowers (balsam flowers).
Intercontinental College - An island where the leading schools of the planes of Mayonnaise, Bleu Cheese Dressing, Buttermilk, Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Yogurt mysteriously converged. As the leading minds were, conveniently, all in one place, you'd expect there to be flourishing academic debates; but arguments more often than not dissolve into quibbling over semantics and personal preferences, however unrelated to the topic they may be.
InterContinental - A hotel chain
Intelligence Community - Self explanatory
Edit again: InterCity - A "train" service that links some of the more well-known and stable islands to one another.

Edit: Also, Mayo monsters should be referred to as La Mayo or Le Mayo.

There should definitely be a character named Gurt, that everyone greets with "Yo."

Gurt will be used in my game as the Saucerer Supreme’s right hand man. I expect big groans. Thank you.

I also love BalsamIC and intend to use it as the resort. They will pass through there before getting to the portal to Limbo.

I’m actually mid-playthrough now and the players love it. There are SO many puns and references. However, they still look at it as the GM just being silly, and haven’t connected the dots that this whole realm is an anachronistic anomaly that the GM is going to take quite seriously :)

Things I have learned in-game:
- This while place is treated as Limbo-light. It’s not quite as dangerous, but also lacks the raw building materials of fire, water, earth, and air. Most inhabitants are aware of Limbo, but many don’t know that much exists beyond that.
- Multiple islands are just Chivettes waiting to seduce travelers. As the deed is done, the participant permanently loses some stats such as Int and gains others, creating no net loss, but leaving the person less able to assert order over the chaos.
The Chivettes are known as agents of chaos and live up to the reputation.
- The Saucerer’s temple views themselves as a police force for the plane. They are the bastion of order that seeks to stave off the plane from sinking deeper into chaos.
In my game, this means that they slaughter townspeople who promote chaos and freedom from tyrrany.
The Saucerer Supreme does make a strong argument though. On any other plane, freedom fighters might be praised. But here, their added chaos could physically change the world for the worse. Islands could dissolve, chaos beast might become more prevelant. As part of the plane, the Ranch Dressing elementals might change in nature to look more like Slaads.
Order must be maintained.
- The Saucerers control a direct portal to the Limbo realm Fennimar (except when Limbo decides to change the portal’s destination.)
- The 1000 islands are the only permanent islands on the plane. Before they came, bubbles of air and land came and went much as they did in Limbo. The coming of the 1000 islands actually shifted the plane to a slightly more orderly state.

New islands visited:
86 Chivette River: A small island with a few hills and a river of Ranch Dressing flowing through part of it. 3 or more Chivettes wait here to seduce travelers.
97 Chevette Peppercorn Valley: Chivettes like in wait here among the peppercorn boulders to seduce travelers.
376 Necromancer’s Fortress: A necromancer anarch has moved in recently and created a fortress. He is an anarch and a member of the Chaosmen of Sigil, making him a direct opposing force to the Saucerer Supreme. He is known to summon Ghost Pepper Ghosts and Calzone Golems to fight for him.
389 Lascerallium’s Tower: A large island with a great tower in the center known as the lair of Lascerallium, the Elder Ranch Dressing Sauce Dragon. He is served by a host of Ranch Dressing Elementals and Calzone Golems.
There are rumors among the people that the great wyrm is actually a supremely powerful anarch, shaping the entire plane into its current form. We are allowed to exist here by his whim and thus he is worthy to be revered and served. Several islands have a cult based around Lascerallium.
590 Tartton: A small town of largely humans. They have had several uprisings of chaos promoters that have had to be put down by the Saucerers.
983 Temple of the Bleu Moon: Home to a cult that promotes fermentation in all things.

SpamCreateWater
2018-03-14, 06:41 PM
Gurt will be used in my game as the Saucerer Supreme’s right hand man. I expect big groans. Thank you.

I also love BalsamIC and intend to use it as the resort. They will pass through there before getting to the portal to Limbo.

Glad to help :smallbiggrin:

So paint a picture for me. Usual green rolling hills hills with the blue sky and some clouds scene. What does this actually look like for inhabitants of this place?
What is the ground made from? If it's missing the usual 4 core elements.
This sounds like a lot of fun to run. Or take part in.

Jumping on the Bleu Moon, could your fermentation religion have a Once in a Bleu Manouri festival? A remembrance of the once in a lifetime pairing of French and Greek dairy masters that ended up with the sacred cheese, bleu manouri. Purported to be the pinnacle of cheese.
Perhaps Months in a Bleu Moon? A period of the year where the moon, which is obviously made of cheese, passes through some planar disturbance that causes it to teleport or speed up so that it is a full moon twice a month (but for several months).

Another place could be the Immiscible Islands - two islands that are physically close together, or perhaps a chain of islands. One is run by the lemon tribe, and the other the vinegar tribe; there are numerous salt, spice, and oil tribes that live under them. Life is fairly idyllic and the tribes mix members and grow stronger. Except for the lemon and vinegar tribe. They both hate one another argue over the best way to reach Vinai Grette, a symbolic nirvana of sorts. Neither tribe has the ability to eradicate the other, so they live in a constant prepared-for-war state.