PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder In Praise of Esoteric Linguistics

QuackParker
2018-03-04, 07:43 PM
I play a Path of War Warlord in one of our Pathfinder games and I geared him toward linguistics early on (Warlord is an Int build with a fair number of skill points). Basically the party's tank, it's great fun to speak a large number of languages. But, the feat Esoteric Linguistics -
You can attempt a Linguistics check in place of a Use Magic Device check to activate a scroll, or in place of a Spellcraft check to identify a scroll. You must still have (or emulate) the ability score required to cast a spell of the desired level, and you cannot use Linguistics on the check to emulate the required ability score - gives my character a whole lot of additional options in and out of combat. Considering how often random generators GMs use often produce scrolls in loot hordes, it can be a lot of fun. A lot of guides rank this as a so-so feat, but think of it this way: any Int-geared melee character can now make use of the party wizard's scribed scrolls. Now when a combat starts at a distance, you can get off more than one tactical spell in a round the melee character often would just have to waste.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-04, 11:32 PM
I play a Path of War Warlord in one of our Pathfinder games and I geared him toward linguistics early on (Warlord is an Int build with a fair number of skill points). Basically the party's tank, it's great fun to speak a large number of languages. But, the feat Esoteric Linguistics - - gives my character a whole lot of additional options in and out of combat. Considering how often random generators GMs use often produce scrolls in loot hordes, it can be a lot of fun. A lot of guides rank this as a so-so feat, but think of it this way: any Int-geared melee character can now make use of the party wizard's scribed scrolls. Now when a combat starts at a distance, you can get off more than one tactical spell in a round the melee character often would just have to waste.
What makes it a so-so feat in terms of optimizing is that you are using a feat (Esoteric Linguistics) plus a skill (Linguistics) to accomplish what another character can accomplish with just one of many uses of a skill (Use Magic Device).

Obviously, if you are already using Linguistics and don't have Use Magic Device and have a feat to spare, it can be quite useful. What you want to look at here is what you are giving up to incorporate this. Is there another skill in which you could be putting the skill ranks you are putting into Linguistics? Is there another feat you should be taking instead of Esoteric Linguistics? Are you trading the additional power of one feat for the added breadth and flexibility of another? Once you've answered all of these questions, you can address whether the feat is really worthwhile.

As long as you are satisfied that the trade-offs are worth it, it doesn't matter whether the feat is 'so-so' on a more objective scale. Subjectively it may be just right for you.

QuackParker
2018-03-06, 01:23 AM
What makes it a so-so feat in terms of optimizing is that you are using a feat (Esoteric Linguistics) plus a skill (Linguistics) to accomplish what another character can accomplish with just one of many uses of a skill (Use Magic Device).

Obviously, if you are already using Linguistics and don't have Use Magic Device and have a feat to spare, it can be quite useful. What you want to look at here is what you are giving up to incorporate this. Is there another skill in which you could be putting the skill ranks you are putting into Linguistics? Is there another feat you should be taking instead of Esoteric Linguistics? Are you trading the additional power of one feat for the added breadth and flexibility of another? Once you've answered all of these questions, you can address whether the feat is really worthwhile.

As long as you are satisfied that the trade-offs are worth it, it doesn't matter whether the feat is 'so-so' on a more objective scale. Subjectively it may be just right for you.

Linguistics is a magical skill for roleplay purposes. Wriggling on the ground to communicate in flail snail is, I think, always more satisfying than casting a spell to understand its language. It's also a skill with often untapped profit potential. In a fantasy setting rife with ancient, magical tomes or glyph-covered ruins, a person with 24/7 language mastery can pay dividends indeed.

But I do concur, a player will seldom min-max a character centered around linguistics and a generic fighter's damage output would almost certainly benefit more from a different combination of feats. Nonetheless, a feat like Esoteric Linguistics is not quite as situational as some have portrayed and I get a warm feeling from playing a non-magical character sizzling the battlefield with chain lightning thanks to the power of comprehensive reading.

Prime32
2018-03-06, 11:55 PM
There's already a few feats that amount to "gain an extra skill" (even one that lets you change it from day to day (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spirit-ridden/)) so a feat that gives you a limited version of a skill isn't that amazing. It lets you use Int instead of Cha on your check, which is okay but doesn't make you particularly good with scrolls, just equivalent to what the average UMD character could do already (and there are traits that do that).

If activating scrolls through Linguistics made them slightly more powerful (add half your Int modifier to save DCs?) then that would be something unique, which would make the feat a lot more interesting.