PDA

View Full Version : New dm, help?

Contagion
2018-03-05, 02:22 AM
I've been drafted to take over a friends dnd game, ive never dm'ed a game before, heck ive only ever played one adventure, but my friends know I'm a writer and their dm just stopped showing up after what I've been told was a "mishap with a love philter" which considering what else I've heard about the dm, was probably his own fault that it went bad.

I don't really have a story yet but I've got time to find one. They're level 5 and pretty attached to their characters so I don't want to make them roll new ones. I was thinking about trying to make the story about their characters journeys but beyond the "why are you adventuring" I don't really know what I should be asking them.

I guess what I'm asking is, when i sit down with them for a "session zero" , what questions should I be asking them, to help me craft a story that would make it feel like their characters are part of the world? Or is it really just as simple as being like "why are you adventuring?" And like working backwards from there?

Also would a "magic stone that boosts the level you cast a spell by one when you use it, with 6 charges a day, 1d6 recharged at dawn, but if you use all the charges it becomes useless" be too strong as a magic item plot divice?

If my question has been asked before, could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the thread? I don't want to clog the board up with repeats.

Thank you for your time.

Wryte
2018-03-05, 02:32 AM
I think the logical place to start would be to find out more about the storyline they were already engaged in. You don't necessarily have to continue it, but if you can find some way to have what they were doing before transition smoothly into what you want to do with them, that should help keep them feeling invested.

Secondly, you're going to want to figure out which of the game's pillars they most enjoy. Are they the type of party that's mainly here for the combat, and doesn't engage with the roleplaying or exploration aspects? Then you don't want to devote too much time to fleshing out NPCs, and backstories, or geography, and want to spend more time figuring out engaging combat encounters, while if they're more interested in the roleplaying aspect, you'll want those fleshed out NPCs and intrigues.

bc56
2018-03-05, 05:07 AM
These should help.

http://theangrygm.com/session-zero-part-zero/

http://theangrygm.com/session-zero-part-preface/

http://theangrygm.com/session-zero-part-one/

http://theangrygm.com/from-zero-to-pitch-in-24-hours/

Angry gives really good advice for all facets of DMing, these are his articles on Session Zero.

Contrast
2018-03-05, 05:47 AM
As you mentioned you're a writer, I think the main thing I'd remind you of is that when you are DMing you are not telling a story. The players are doing that. You are providing the setting for the players to tell the story in.

I'd personally be a little wary of coming in never having DM'd before for pre-existing characters in a pre-existing campaign so good luck with that :smalltongue: I'd suggest maybe running your own short campaign for a few weeks and say you can pick back up with the other characters once that finishes if things are going well.

Also would a "magic stone that boosts the level you cast a spell by one when you use it, with 6 charges a day, 1d6 recharged at dawn, but if you use all the charges it becomes useless" be too strong as a magic item plot divice?

Depends what you're asking here. It's a very good item for a caster? If you're looking to make them positively disposed to lugging it around I'd suggest something which buffs the entire party rather than one character (off the top of my head, giving temp HP or inspiration on a long rest) (edit - or maybe some buff activated by inspiration is a better idea actually). If you're looking for something to explain why it is so important, I suggest just going for the traditional 'it needs to be used as part of a ritual' or whatever which unlocks its true power.

Best compromise in my opinion is making your plot device split into multiple different items which you can only attune to one of at a time so everyone gets a minor buff but bringing them together at the appropriate time/place unlocks true power. Bonus points for splitting it into more than the number of the party to encourage them to make allies/engage with the world.

JellyPooga
2018-03-05, 06:14 AM
My first piece of advice is; DON'T PANIC! As GM, you're just another player except instead of one character you have many; the rules are no different. Know the rules of the game and plan your campaign; preparation is key, but keep a little improv in reserve; you never know when your players will step off the beaten track...and that's fine (because they inevitably will).

Second piece of advice is; don't be afraid to bend the rules a little. Be permissive, but don't be a pushover. I believe a GM should never say "no", only "no, but...". Find ways to allow your players to do the things they want, but never let them compromise the scenario with shenanigans. The "fail forward" idea comes under this too; failing a roll doesn't have to mean play grinds to a halt as the players come up with another strategy or roll a new character.

Third; GM, enjoy thyself. There's no harm in admitting that GMing isn't for you if you find that the "big chair" is too much work or doesn't suit your tastes. Some people simply don't enjoy the playstyle involved in playing mutiple roles, seeing the PCs romp through their encounters and generally dragging their carefully planned campaign through the mud. Others don't like the planning and struggle to improvise. Others don't have a good enough head for the rules. And that's not a failing, just a preference. GMing can be immensely rewarding, but it's not for everyone. If you find yourself stressed over a campaign or plain not having fun, then (1) persevere (it might be a blip) and (2) if that fails and you're still not enjoying, let your players know about it and go from there.

In summary;
1) Don't panic. It's just a game.
2) It's your (collective) game; don't fuss the RAW if they're in the way.
3) It's a game. Enjoy it.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-05, 07:34 AM
You really just ask the players what story they would like, write the story, then have the players play through that story.

Sometimes the players are vague, sometimes they are specific, but either way you just take what they ask for and write a story.

''Making'' the characters part of the story is really more up to the players. Sure you can make the characters like ''Agents of the Crown'' or something like that, but it won't matter unless the players role play that out anyway.

Your stone is ok....but why only for magic? Give the martials some love and make it for them too. So the Stone of Enhancement gives a bonus to Everyone, not just spellcasters.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-05, 08:38 AM
Here are some points I can share.

Since you're a writer this seem appropriate. Don't sit down and write the whole story you want to tell and then show up at the table for it. That approach has a tendency to lead to railroading, as you will be not only tempted to want to tell your story, but also will be unprepared for what might happen if they don't follow it. It's very difficult in that situation not to fall into the habits that cause DMs to ensure that the players have to play what you've written. You may get to the table and find out the players, and therefore the characters, don't care about your NPCs mysterious past, or the smouldering sexual tension between the duchess and her stablemaster.

My second piece of advice would be to put a cap on your commitment. I'd recommend committing to running five sessions. By the end of five sessions, you'll have a good grip on who the players are, what they are interested in, whether you can run games for them. You'll also see how much of a hash they've probably made of whatever plot you thought you were building, and possibly have no idea how to move forward from whatever plot corner you've been backed into by that point. A reboot, with new characters, with a new campaign, the overarching plot of which you can sell them on before you start, might be called for. If I'm wrong, you can just have a quick status meeting to see how things are going, and press on if all is well.

Finally, I would try not to worry too much about the story for the first couple sessions at least. It really is different on the other side of the screen compared to being a player. Give them a couple "one-shot" style adventures that can be completed in a session or two, and don't spend a lot of time figuring out how they play into the story. Put the motivation right in the adventure. I'd recommend using these sessions to give yourself a look at all the different mechanics of the game so you can begin to set down your rulings on how various things work in your game. For instance, make sure there's some darkness, and some opportunities for stealth. Make sure there is some climbing and jumping. Make sure you have some obstacles for which you have no idea how the PCs will get past it, so you can see how creative their thinking is. Maybe have some underwater combat, maybe some overland travel, maybe try one adventure with random encounters and one without and see which method you like better. I think you get the gist.

Finally finally, if you're really intimidated, don't be. IME most players are happy to be playing, period, and will forgive a lot of plot holes and retcons as long as they get to play and as long as you don't retcon away anything that directly affects their items or abilities.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-03-05, 03:42 PM
Some additional thoughts:

Find out what the players enjoy. Not everyone comes to the table wanting to 'tell a collaborative story'; some people literally just want to chop up goblins with an axe for three hours. You are likely to run into problems if the game you're providing doesn't mesh with the players' desires. Note that asking the players what they enjoy won't always work. A lot of people don't really know themselves. Maybe give this (http://theangrygm.com/gaming-for-fun-part-1-eight-kinds-of-fun/) a read (yes, I'm also a disciple of Angry).

Make sure you have a strong grip on the rules. 5e is intended to be flexible and expects the DM to make the final call on ambiguous rulings - this means you should try to develop an instinct for what rulings are sensible and practical. Make doubly sure you have a handle on the encounter building and monster design guidelines (pages 82 and 274 in the DMG), since they'll come up a lot.

Tie the PCs into the world using bonds and ideals, and background features if possible. Those are all there for your benefit as the DM. Maybe the guild merchant bard wants to own their own circus one day, but needs a royal charter in order to do it legally. Maybe the ex-soldier paladin runs into someone they crossed swords with before, but now circumstances force them into an uneasy alliance. Until you get to know the PCs better, it'll be hard to know exactly what they'll be in to; you might just have to dangle a few hooks in front of them to see if they bite.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-05, 04:12 PM
some people literally just want to chop up goblins with an axe for three hours.

You've just described me as player. Maybe that's why I'm usually a DM...

Millface
2018-03-05, 04:29 PM
First I want to address the issue of how much you should be writing the story for your players, being a writer is remarkably helpful. It's true that the players and their backstories/actions/motivations will provide the meat of the story, your job is to set the table and make sure they have the proper utensils for the dish they're concocting.

Things should be happening to the players on a small scale, but on the larger scale the world is far more interesting (and they'll feel more a part of it) if things happen around the players on the large scale. They should be allowed to fail or ignore a storyline without always having the threat of dying, and show them the consequences. Make them a world, have stuff happen in it, let them decide how they interact with the things that are happening.

For crafting stories based on them, there are plenty of exercises for that. First, I'd take an entire gaming session and just sit with them and have them craft reasonably deep back stories if they haven't, if they have, read them, get to know them (DMing is a lot of work if you want what you're saying you want, but players will love you for it) then, you can bring things from their past, as well as their current motivations, to the forefront of the world one or two PCs at a time. As they go they should be dealing with your story as well as completing their own goals. If they have none, strongly encourage it, but don't force it.

I've recently started having my players take notes every week on their opinions of the other members of the party, and set goals for those relationships as well, with small rewards for doing it consistently, completing goals and updating their opinions on their sheets. The amount and quality of our roleplay has skyrocketed for it, and it takes tons of pressure off of you. The characters now have the overarching issue (playing Tomb of Annihilation atm) I'm peppering in stuff from the backstories in places in the module that I can swap things or add things, and they're taking an hour or so just roleplaying during travel, nurturing their characters relationships, be it friendly or less than.

Lastly I'd consider a persistent world, depending on how long you'll play. If you wrap up one campaign, give the world time for those consequences of success or failure to sink in ( I do 10 years, usually) and retire the PCs (working with the players) in a way that satisfies them. Players LOVE to meet old PCs in positions of power or influence in the world later on, and love to see the changes they made last campaign in the world and thriving.

TL;DR Your number one job is to help the characters feel as immersed and connected to the world AND their characters as you possibly can. Help them to care, encourage strong roleplaying, and overall have them thinking about their characters even when they aren't at the table, because they become a part of you.

Hudsonian
2018-03-05, 04:58 PM
One of my favorite tips I've heard is to have at least 3 NPC's that have definite goals and are pursuing them in the world. These NPCs interact with each other over time and the struggle between them is rumored about. Occasionally something about the world changes as one of the NPCs reach their goals. These NPCs may be completely foreign to the PCs unless they choose to investigate the rumors or happen to blunder through one of the plans and foul it up.

I have stated it really poorly, but Matt Colville on youtube has a good video on it. (can't link to youtube right now... srry.)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-03-05, 06:24 PM
NPCs that have definite goals and are pursuing them in the world

Very true. Antagonists drive the story and should be one of the first things you plan when designing a new adventure. Know what they want, how they plan to get it, and what currently stands in their way. The Giant has done some writing (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html) on the subject as well.

Contagion
2018-03-06, 02:42 PM
thank you all so much for your advice and the links! i am just very nervous lol. i will rethink my plot stones. i was going for a bit of a soylent green faux-losophers stone feel with it so there's no reason why it couldn't do other things to help out the non-caster classes.