PDA

View Full Version : Which class Should I take next?

theboss
2018-03-05, 05:02 AM
Atm we're level 18 and my build is still level 17 because I don't know which class should I take next.
My build is : Fighter 2, Ranger 2, Hexblade 3, Revenant blade 5, Exotic weapon master 1, Crusader 3 and Swordsage 1.
At first I thought I should proceed with one of the classes above, but they don't get anything special in their following level, Even Hexblade, For exmaple, get level 1 spells and magical companion. But it Doesn't worth the level. After I asked my fellow members for an advice they told me they have no idea because this build is already messy. (In my opinion my build is perfect, I have lots of damage, VERY high saves . aka 40 will :), Low ac but i have some miss chance, immunity to fire and because of my mettle and high fort and will saves Im basically immune to every save spell, even energy drain doesnt effect me because I'm immune to negative levels - from a ring.)

Further, I thought I should travel devotion feat and myabe dip into cleric for further uses of this nicly done feat. but im not quite conivnced it's the path I should take.
I need your help guys! Im lost....

I'll post the ban list here:
No spirit animal barbrians (means no pounce and etc..)
no dragon magazine
and basically nothing too cheesy.
edit:Frenzied Berserker is also in ban.

thank you from advance!

**Edit: I'm not looking for damgae boosters, as Im doing more than enough - pisses DM every meeting.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 06:00 AM
Further, I thought I should travel devotion feat and myabe dip into cleric for further uses of this nicly done feat.
Keep in mind that there is no need to dip cleric if you can manage a DC21 UMD check. You don't need to actually be able to use the turn undead feature - just emulate the class feature [while carrying a Nightstick] to burn an additional attempt.

I agree that Fighter 3, Ranger 3, Hexblade 4, and Crusader 4 each appear quite underwhelming. Probably the only reason to take one of those would be to get to something further along in the build. However, you are high enough level overall that it might take quite a few levels to reach something that's going to prove more useful than the bonus feat you would get at Fighter 4. So if you take any of those I would actually recommend the fighter.

Swordsage 2 is a bit more appealing with an additional maneuver and stance, as well as the WIS to AC bonus (depending on your armor choice). Exotic Weapon Master 2 would really depend on what stunt might work with your build.

Have you considered the Eternal Blade PRC from ToB?

Goaty14
2018-03-05, 01:27 PM
Keep in mind that there is no need to dip cleric if you can manage a DC21 UMD check. You don't need to actually be able to use the turn undead feature - just emulate the class feature to burn an additional attempt.

RAW: UMD can only be used to emulate class features on items, not feats. That said (although it probably sticks out to the DM as "cheesy"), you could get a nightstick and whatnot to UMD for turning attempts, and then spend those on the feat.

I.E you UMD the 'turn undead' class feature on a nightstick to gain it's benefit as 4 turning attempts. Now you can spend those on the feat.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 01:42 PM
RAW: UMD can only be used to emulate class features on items, not feats. That said (although it probably sticks out to the DM as "cheesy"), you could get a nightstick and whatnot to UMD for turning attempts, and then spend those on the feat.

I.E you UMD the 'turn undead' class feature on a nightstick to gain it's benefit as 4 turning attempts. Now you can spend those on the feat.

Sorry, I completely forgot to mention the Nightstick to make this work! I guess that IS kind of an important part of the trick, isn't it? :smallredface:

Falontani
2018-03-05, 02:11 PM
I would take Hexblade 4, take the feat Improved Familiar. Get yourself a somewhat powerful ally. You could choose a hippogriff and get a bonded flying mount. Or a Winter Wolf to set up flanking for yourself. The familiar may only be getting the first few things from being a familiar, but it still gets your BAB, base saves, your skill ranks and half your HP. Alternatively if you have high UMD you could get an imp and give it scrolls/wands to cast to buff you during combat while remaining invisible. Familiars are very potent in boosting your action economy even if they aren't the most powerful by themselves. You could ask your DM if you can choose it's feats or if you would need to pay for a psychic reformation to change them out, but depending on the feat choices they can really contribute and assist you in the long run. And if you do all this then you could easily take 5th level hexblade for another curse use and a bonus feat.

Darrin
2018-03-05, 02:12 PM
I'd recommend Hexblade 4 to get the Dark Companion ACF (PHBII), which is a nice little debuff at any level. If that doesn't appeal to you, then I'd go with Swordsage 2 for the stance and AC bonus.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 02:28 PM
I would take Hexblade 4, take the feat Improved Familiar. Get yourself a somewhat powerful ally. You could choose a hippogriff and get a bonded flying mount. Or a Winter Wolf to set up flanking for yourself. The familiar may only be getting the first few things from being a familiar, but it still gets your BAB, base saves, your skill ranks and half your HP. Alternatively if you have high UMD you could get an imp and give it scrolls/wands to cast to buff you during combat while remaining invisible. Familiars are very potent in boosting your action economy even if they aren't the most powerful by themselves. You could ask your DM if you can choose it's feats or if you would need to pay for a psychic reformation to change them out, but depending on the feat choices they can really contribute and assist you in the long run. And if you do all this then you could easily take 5th level hexblade for another curse use and a bonus feat.

At Hexblade 4 he would have a Caster Level of 2. I'm pretty sure most of these options wouldn't be available. A small, monstrous centipede would be available. Not much else.

The Dark Companion ACF would likely be a better choice, as it is far less level-dependent. You can put it next to an enemy that would then receive -2 to AC and saves.

Falontani
2018-03-05, 02:37 PM
At Hexblade 4 he would have a Caster Level of 2. I'm pretty sure most of these options wouldn't be available. A small, monstrous centipede would be available. Not much else.

The Dark Companion ACF would likely be a better choice, as it is far less level-dependent. You can put it next to an enemy that would then receive -2 to AC and saves.

Ah you are right, I did forget that Hexblade's CL is 1/2 Hexblade level and while Practiced Spellcaster would fix this, that is too many feats to spend on getting the familiar to work on a primarily melee build. And he needs a CL of 7 in order to get the winter wolf, hippogriff, or the imp.

Telonius
2018-03-05, 03:43 PM
How much longer do you think the game is going to continue? 2 more levels of Ranger would get you divine spellcasting, which qualifies you for Knight of the Raven (assuming you're Good). (If you don't want an animal companion, you could swap it out for Distracting Attack or Spiritual Guide).

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-05, 10:19 PM
Wild suggestion: wizard. Unless you've already got a solid UMD score, this will give you the ability to activate wands and you can nab a fighter bonus feat ala unearthed arcana substitution. If you specialize as a conjurer (think about it, don't just do it) you can also sub the familiar for abrupt jaunt per PHB2.

The idea is to give yourself a relatively minor but really useful ability or two in a way that doesn't annoy the DM by making you "MOAR FIGHTY!" Doesn't matter if your int sucks (for a wizard) and you never cast a spell from one of your own slots.

Yogibear41
2018-03-06, 12:35 AM
Hexblade 4 for the ACF Debuff, as well as access to eternal wands.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-03-07, 03:01 AM
I suggest Crusader or Swordsage. Very good dip classes at a high level: you get many immediate benefits.