PDA

View Full Version : ToB maneuvers and my confusion with them.

Greenflame133
2018-03-05, 08:04 AM
ToB is fairly new book for of rather I just realized it's far less complex then it looks. Yet I'm not sure about surten mechanics.

Strikes in full around attack. Moust strikes require at lest stand action so I would assume including it in full round attack shouldn't be problematic at all but then there are other things. It touch spell requires full round to cast, can the attack made to deliver it also be a maneuver? Could charter fighting with 2 weapons execute 2 maneuvers one with each weapon? What about multiple attacks with same weapon? Could warble use a full round attack rather then a stand action to renew his maneuvers? Can that attack be newly renewed maneuver?

DeTess
2018-03-05, 08:52 AM
ToB is fairly new book for of rather I just realized it's far less complex then it looks. Yet I'm not sure about surten mechanics.

Strikes in full around attack. Moust strikes require at lest stand action so I would assume including it in full round attack shouldn't be problematic at all but then there are other things. It touch spell requires full round to cast, can the attack made to deliver it also be a maneuver? Could charter fighting with 2 weapons execute 2 maneuvers one with each weapon? What about multiple attacks with same weapon? Could warble use a full round attack rather then a stand action to renew his maneuvers? Can that attack be newly renewed maneuver?

You can't make strikes as part of a full round attack, as they're standard actions that happen to contain one or more weapon attacks. The exception are the strikes that already make you perform a full-round attack, for obvious reasons.

To put it simply, strikes are standard actions that happen to contain a weapon attack. Anything you can apply to a weapon attack, such as combat expertise or power attack, you can apply, but anything that requires the attack action or full-round attack action can't be used.

Whether a Warblade can do a full-round attack to renew his maneuvers is a point of some discussion, but I think you can. You can not perform a maneuver as part of readying new maneuvers however. In fact, you can't do any maneuvers, not even counters, in the round in which you renewed your maneuvers.

I hoped this cleared up your questions. If you've got more, don't hesitate to ask them.

Greenflame133
2018-03-05, 09:04 AM
You can't make strikes as part of a full round attack, as they're standard actions that happen to contain one or more weapon attacks. The exception are the strikes that already make you perform a full-round attack, for obvious reasons.

To put it simply, strikes are standard actions that happen to contain a weapon attack. Anything you can apply to a weapon attack, such as combat expertise or power attack, you can apply, but anything that requires the attack action or full-round attack action can't be used.

Whether a Warblade can do a full-round attack to renew his maneuvers is a point of some discussion, but I think you can. You can not perform a maneuver as part of readying new maneuvers however. In fact, you can't do any maneuvers, not even counters, in the round in which you renewed your maneuvers.

I hoped this cleared up your questions. If you've got more, don't hesitate to ask them.

Thanks that helps, a lot. Can meuvers/spell that normaly uses standerd ation be used as part of a charge? it says "a singule melee" atack

GrayDeath
2018-03-05, 09:08 AM
Please please do some spell checking, the text of your opening post is barely readable, which makes answering your questions a bit harder than it has to be....

As for the last one. Unless it specifically says so, no. Because while most Strikes include a single Melee attack, they are not the same as a normal melee attack. They are Standard Actions.

There are however some Strikes/Boosts that allow charges, pounce attacks and other stuff.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 09:14 AM
The Initiation Action line of a maneuver description provides the action required to use that maneuver. So each Strike will specify the exact action needed, and you cannot substitute. They call this 'Blade Magic' for a reason - consider it like casting a spell. You cannot do a full round attack and perform a standard action maneuver (unless you are using some ability that gives you an extra standard action).

As for touch spells, as long as you are able to hold the effect until you make an attack, you can deliver the touch with a martial maneuver that includes an attack. So if you cast a full round spell and then deliver the touch effect with your attack the next round, you can use a maneuver to make your attack.

When fighting with two weapons, you do not get to make the off-hand attack unless the maneuver specifies that you do. So even if you make a strike that requires a full round action, this is blade magic and so is more like casting a spell that doing a full round attack. There are maneuvers that allow the use of multiple weapons and they spell out clearly how many attacks you get and with which weapons.

For a warblade to recover all of their spent maneuvers they take a swift action followed by either a melee attack (which can be a standard or full round action) or followed by a standard action doing nothing else. If you use the melee attack option it explicitly states that you cannot use a maneuver (but may remain in a stance).

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 09:17 AM
Thanks that helps, a lot. Can meuvers/spell that normaly uses standerd ation be used as part of a charge? it says "a singule melee" atack

No, they normally cannot. Again, think of it as 'Blade Magic' where you can do a Charge Action or use a Standard Action to perform a maneuver, similar to how you could do a Charge or cast a spell.

Goaty14
2018-03-05, 12:44 PM

Yea, you can't. However, you could still move+attack since you'd still have a move action to spare.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-05, 04:01 PM
Do you count stances when checking "x maneuvers of the same style" requirements for maneuvers?

Nifft
2018-03-05, 04:20 PM
Do you count stances when checking "x maneuvers of the same style" requirements for maneuvers?

Yes, you do.