PDA

View Full Version : Generic + necessary list o’ buffs?

EoNhOeKnOwS
2018-03-05, 08:06 AM
So I’ve spent a few months sort of eyeing which spells would be best to have running in any campaign, I’ve been using Use Magic Device to buff the party, as scrolls are pretty cheap, compared to wasting entire day’s worth of spells on buffing (we have a bard providing +4 competence bonus to att/dmg) and these are the ones I’ve been using so far this is what my build is as a gestalt character: 1 Rogue/5 shadowcaster/5 master of shadows, 5 Warlock/1 mindbender/2 Chameleon/3 Hellfire Warlock

Total Party Buffs
Haste +1 enhancement attack,(ac) dodge bonus, Reflex save
Mass Mage Armor +4 ac deflection
Bless +1 morale attack, saves vs fear
Elation +2 morale str, Dex, +5 spd 1round/lvl
Inspire courage (bard) +4 att/dmg

Also, these are all the different types of bonus one can acquire:
Ability Modifier
Alchemical Bonus
Armor Bonus
Circumstance Modifier
Competence Modifier
Deflection Bonus
Dodge Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
Insight Bonus
Luck Modifier
Morale Modifier
Natural Armor Bonus
Profane Modifier
Racial Bonus
Resistance Bonus
Sacred Modifier
Shield Bonus
Size Modifier

This doesn’t include specific buffs to classes such as Melee getting bear’s endurance and bulls str, etc, if the part wants to buy scrolls of those I’ll cast for them (I’m also aware that IE cats grace spell and +4 Dex Bonus on gear doesn’t stack as they provide the same category of enchantment)

I also have some mixed transdimensional scrolls (like greater magic fang) for my shadow elemental companion cus he’s incorporeal and id rather not accidentally waste a scroll on it with its 50% chance of not being affected

Also, the attack/dmg bonus from bless doesn’t stack with the bard inspire courage (I think) that gives +4 att/dmg? So bless would only really add the bonus to save and fear...

I’ve searched online but it only brings up “what’s the best CLASSES for support/buff” but no mention of spells, also kool if there are any worthy alchemical boosts to stats

Thanks!

Edit: Enlarge Person for Melee and reduce person for ranged or sneaks

SpamCreateWater
2018-03-26, 12:10 AM
These aren't quite what you're after. I was, funnily enough, trying to find an old thread which had levels by which you should be able to do certain things (like Fly, or Immunity to Death effects).
Can't find it, but I hope someone else has better googlefu.

In any case, the answers you're not actually looking for, but may provide some insight and ideas:
Necessary Magical Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)
Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) - also has old and broken links to the Utility Belt and Bunko's Basement, which I am sure someone has saved somewhere else.

Edit: Bunko's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445114-quot-Bunko-s-Bargain-Basement-Magic-Items-That-Are-a-Steal!-quot-(from-Wizards-forum))
And again: Being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?104002-3-5e-The-Logic-Ninja-s-Guide-to-Wizards-Being-Batman) - Actually kind of answering your question this time.

RoboEmperor
2018-03-26, 12:14 AM
You need Fly
And you need Mind Blank
Don't forget Death Ward.
Freedom of Movement is important too

tiercel
2018-03-26, 09:21 PM
One of the key factors when it comes to buffs is, of course, timing: unless you have perfect forward intelligence and stealth/ambush capability, you’re rarely going to have all the time you want to buff. (This is one of the usual BBEG advantages; bad guys can sit around casting spells on themselves while heroes plow through room after room of minions.)

Also buff duration: regardless of lead time, there are likely only so many round/level and minute/level buffs you can or want to have up for any one fight anyway.

This is where those links that SpamCreateWater listed above really come in — the buffs you really want on all the time should probably be magic items as soon as is practical.

Ideally you want primary buff spells to be long in duration or at least to buff the whole party with a single casting (even if that means using higher-level Mass versions, using Chain Spell metamagic, or heading for the War Weaver PrC [HoB]).

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-27, 12:07 AM
No spell suggestions but, if you can, you really ought to squeeze some war weaver in that build somewhere. Heroes of battle if you need to know where to look.