PDA

View Full Version : WTF?!? Campaign weirdness...

samcifer
2018-03-05, 01:41 PM
So it's the second session for me with my new variant human who wishes to become a satyr character (Light Cleric/Moon Druid), and the campaign took a pair of nasty turns...

So the homebrew campaign our DM made among a series of post-apocalyptic islands has gone completely off the rails. All but one of the main npcs has died and the living one who he revealed was supposed to sacrifice himself to weaken a boss we were to kill is now ruling the citadel we had called home, an evil necromancer on a different island who seems to be using a variation of the t-virus is making undead mutants like a cross between Resident Evil and John Carpenter's The Thing movies who attacked us with a boss then headed North towards a northern island nation the surviving npc-made-leader is allying with for extra manpower so we decided to go to mess up the necromancer's power source since he was away.

We fight a battle against some zombies, then make our way into a buried tunnel and in a room taken right out of Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince, we end up in a cave lake with undead wanting to pull us under the water towards a light in what the DM thought was a puzzle with an obvious answer, but as we couldn't decide, our artificer character Rick (Sanchez from Rick and Morty, only with amnesia), suicides himself with a bomb vest to weaken the zombies in the water and leaving everyone, even the DM, stunned as we had no indication from the player he was planning to off his character. The DM grants each of us 2k xp and that lets all of us reach lvl. 7, but we have to finish the location before we can level up our characters.

With him dead and many of the zombies weakened (the DM not allowing me to Turn Undead them saying they were more than 30' down), we go into the light to a new tunnel, then in the next room, burn our remaining resources fighting a trio of bosses, then use the rings the DM said they were wearing on a stone ring, which makes the room rise to bring us to...

The Necromancer who was there waiting for us.

Now we are a man down, our barbarian has exhaustion, our GWF fighter is poisoned and at a third of his hp and both I and the druid player are both out of spell slots. ...And that was the end of the session.

All I can hope for is that the necromancer either imprisons us or we can strike a bargain with him as we are in no condition to fight him now. The fighter character is arrogant and brash and will likely try to fight him, but if he does, I plan on letting him fight and die without any help from my character. I've only had him two sessions and refuse to throw away his life in a fight we can't possibly win. One thing in my favor as a player is that the artificer player wants to make a Halfling bard character and asked "Any chance he could be in one of the prison cells?" as he has played this campaign before, but as we derailed the entire thing and have had 3 player deaths when the dm has never had any pcs die in any of his campaigns before (and had the first 3 player deaths all occur in a single derailed campaign), he has to make things up now to keep us going.

So I think I have to hope we get thrown in his prison cells where we can make a new bard friend and get enough rest to apply our level ups so that I and the druid can use wild shape to try to engineer an escape.

ImproperJustice
2018-03-05, 01:44 PM
The important question;

Are you guys still having fun?

samcifer
2018-03-05, 01:46 PM
The important question;

Are you guys still having fun?

Mostly, yeah. I'm just worried about my new character surviving the necromancer, esp. now that he can get to Moon Druid lv. 2 so that he can wild shape. :P

the_brazenburn
2018-03-05, 02:01 PM
Heh, you think that's weird?

Here are the links to my campaigns.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?540101-Ivor-and-Brazenbuns-Curse-of-Strahd-Farce

and

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549120-Brazenburn-and-Ivor-s-Atlantis-Debacle

These are much weirder.

Anyway, to answer your question, just embrace the strangeness. Some campaigns are like that.

And you should try to negotiate your way out of this scenario, rather than fight. It sounds like your DM wants this to be a more important villain that one that can simply be killed.

ImproperJustice
2018-03-05, 03:13 PM
Mostly, yeah. I'm just worried about my new character surviving the necromancer, esp. now that he can get to Moon Druid lv. 2 so that he can wild shape. :P

Well, the nice thing about dying to a necromancer is that there is a good chance your next hero may be able to recover his (re)animated body.....

Bargaining or surrender may be your best bet, although I personally like to go down swinging myself.

clash
2018-03-05, 05:11 PM
Is retreat an option? Those who turn and runaway live to fight another day.

KorvinStarmast
2018-03-05, 05:15 PM
Is retreat an option? Those who turn and runaway live to fight another day.
Hey, stop talking like a grognard! :smallbiggrin:
(From a grognard era player and DM who likes the new system ...)

samcifer
2018-03-05, 05:56 PM
Hey, stop talking like a grognard! :smallbiggrin:
(From a grognard era player and DM who likes the new system ...)

From the way the area we are now in is described, it doesn't sound like it.

Unoriginal
2018-03-05, 06:43 PM
Well, the nice thing about dying to a necromancer is that there is a good chance your next hero may be able to recover his (re)animated body.....

Bargaining or surrender may be your best bet, although I personally like to go down swinging myself.

Someone whose body has been turned into an Undead can only be brought back by True Ressurection (or Wish).

Armored Walrus
2018-03-05, 06:48 PM
Samcifer, I suspect your DM is more worried than you are ;) If he or she has been running games for awhile and this is the first time any PCs have died, then I suspect your next session will find your characters still alive somehow, and you'll be presented with an escape scenario. I'd start pouring over my wildshape and spell options to see what tools I had available to drag success out of that scenario.

ImproperJustice
2018-03-06, 10:53 AM
Someone whose body has been turned into an Undead can only be brought back by True Ressurection (or Wish).

Well that’s a bummer.....

samcifer
2018-03-06, 01:59 PM
A big issue is that the DM won't assert authority to keep the narrative on track. There was a crucial npc who had to survive having her throat cut as a ritual punishment for theft and he botched a saving throw so she died. Then another important npc who was leading us died in battle and we had to kill a third when he attacked us on our return, so the entire campaign was derailed and he has to make everything up as he goes. The issue is that he leaves absolutely up to the luck of die rolls rather that taking a bit of creative control. He could've ruled that the gal survived the punishment, but left that up to luck and now the whole campaign is unrecognizable to him from all the previous times he's run that same campaign.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-06, 02:05 PM
A big issue is that the DM won't assert authority to keep the narrative on track. There was a crucial npc who had to survive having her throat cut as a ritual punishment for theft and he botched a saving throw so she died. Then another important npc who was leading us died in battle and we had to kill a third when he attacked us on our return, so the entire campaign was derailed and he has to make everything up as he goes. The issue is that he leaves absolutely up to the luck of die rolls rather that taking a bit of creative control. He could've ruled that the gal survived the punishment, but left that up to luck and now the whole campaign is unrecognizable to him from all the previous times he's run that same campaign.

The "DM [asserting] authority to keep the narrative on track." is largely regarded as railroading in these parts. This is a good chance for the DM to stretch his wings. Relax and see how next session goes before you panic.

samcifer
2018-03-06, 02:10 PM
The "DM [asserting] authority to keep the narrative on track." is largely regarded as railroading in these parts. This is a good chance for the DM to stretch his wings. Relax and see how next session goes before you panic.

He's been running D&D games for a good number of years now, but is still fairly new to 5e. He has experience running 3.5e and earlier games.

TheYell
2018-03-06, 02:24 PM
Strikes me there's no set reason for this to be the showdown with the necromancer. He just lost his base and now the crew that wrecked it is coming for him. Maybe he is the one to flee to fight another day...

Armored Walrus
2018-03-06, 04:55 PM
He's been running D&D games for a good number of years now, but is still fairly new to 5e. He has experience running 3.5e and earlier games.

That's fine. Still relax and see how next session goes before you panic. If he's got that kind of experience, he'll figure something out. Just trust him.