PDA

View Full Version : How to cast spells on your corpse? (Level 6 Sorcerer)

magicalmagicman
2018-03-05, 04:58 PM
My DM ruled that if I can get someone to cast Persuade to Manifest on my own corpse, he'll let me use the Ghostwalk Ghost Template.

I thought about Greater Gylph Seal + have my corpse fall on it after I suicide on top of some contraption that will drop my corpse on top of the glyph after an hour, but... I don't think objects (and corpses) can trigger Glyph of Warding and Glyph Seal.

Ring of Spell Storing is way too expensive.

Falontani
2018-03-05, 05:39 PM
My DM ruled that if I can get someone to cast Persuade to Manifest on my own corpse, he'll let me use the Ghostwalk Ghost Template.

I thought about Greater Gylph Seal + have my corpse fall on it after I suicide on top of some contraption that will drop my corpse on top of the glyph after an hour, but... I don't think objects (and corpses) can trigger Glyph of Warding and Glyph Seal.

Ring of Spell Storing is way too expensive.

Craft Contingent Spell will do the trick, or if your high enough level just Contingent Spell

RoboEmperor
2018-03-05, 05:41 PM
Craft Contingent Spell will do the trick, or if your high enough level just Contingent Spell

Both are way beyond the capabilities of a level 6 sorcerer.

Falontani
2018-03-05, 05:49 PM
Both are way beyond the capabilities of a level 6 sorcerer.

I just noticed it says level 6 sorcerer, my bad.

You can have a glyph of warding trigger off of any specific thing, including trigger if a falling corpse hits it. Although you'll need some pretty good precision to land on that from a height that would kill you.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-05, 05:49 PM
Hire someone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) to cast it for you. Since it's a 2nd level Bard Spell (CL4) it should set you back 80 gp.

King of Nowhere
2018-03-05, 05:50 PM
i know this will be a less fun option, but can't you just pay someone to do it?

RoboEmperor
2018-03-05, 05:54 PM
I just noticed it says level 6 sorcerer, my bad.

You can have a glyph of warding trigger off of any specific thing, including trigger if a falling corpse hits it. Although you'll need some pretty good precision to land on that from a height that would kill you.

I think he suicides on top of the contraption first, then the contraption drops his corpse on top of the glyph an hour later to ensure it's his corpse that hits the glyph and not some mid-death poisoned creature.

Greater Glyph Seal technically by RAW can only hold spells level 5 or higher. But Falontani is right about the trigger, it doesn't have to be a creature. It's typically set to trigger off a creature.

magicalmagicman
2018-03-05, 05:57 PM
Hire someone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) to cast it for you. Since it's a 2nd level Bard Spell (CL4) it should set you back 80 gp.

i know this will be a less fun option, but can't you just pay someone to do it?

It's an incredibly obscure arcane spell that no one would ever have except maybe in a metropolis so no. My DM said cast it on myself or no deal. No help from party members too since creating ghosts is "evil" and our party won't take any part of this atrocity, or something like that.

It's fine, he's adding a full 3.0 book to the game just for me if I can pull it off.

I think he suicides on top of the contraption first, then the contraption drops his corpse on top of the glyph an hour later to ensure it's his corpse that hits the glyph and not some mid-death poisoned creature.

That's what I meant.

Falontani
2018-03-05, 06:07 PM
If you have Scribe Scroll then create a scroll, if your familiar is a raven and you have UMD have your familiar cast it on your corpse. Or hire someone to use the scroll.

Jack_Simth
2018-03-05, 06:48 PM
If you have Scribe Scroll then create a scroll, if your familiar is a raven and you have UMD have your familiar cast it on your corpse. Or hire someone to use the scroll.
This would be easier for the familiar if it has the spell on a list... Dragon Familiar ( Draconomicon, p. 104)? Hands, can talk, UMD as a class skill, Sor/Wiz spells on the "class" list due to native sorcerer casting.

As it can be applied to a corpse, and is 3rd level (for you), you could also take Brew Potion, make an Oil of the spell, and get a familiar with hands (or a 'close enough' equivalent - birds can be surprisingly good at manipulation) to apply it to your corpse. More expensive in terms of GP and XP, but less expensive in terms of build resources.

daremetoidareyo
2018-03-05, 08:07 PM
drink a poison of your weakest stat. If you die gross you come back ugly. Although you can get a plus 10 bonus to intimidate checks if you die in a way that renders you really fugly

magicalmagicman
2018-03-06, 01:48 AM
As it can be applied to a corpse, and is 3rd level (for you), you could also take Brew Potion, make an Oil of the spell, and get a familiar with hands (or a 'close enough' equivalent - birds can be surprisingly good at manipulation) to apply it to your corpse. More expensive in terms of GP and XP, but less expensive in terms of build resources.

Interesting! So you're sure about I can use it as an oil?

Also, how about a summoned creature instead of a familiar? Summon an extended scorpion for example, and have the scorpion apply the oil to the corpse?

Bullet06320
2018-03-06, 03:11 AM
doesn't a familiar revert back to normal if its master dies?

a long enuf summons should work tho

Mordaedil
2018-03-06, 04:10 AM
doesn't a familiar revert back to normal if its master dies?

a long enuf summons should work tho

There are no rules on what happens to a familiar if the master dies, the contract between the two only has stipulations for the caster. So the familiar is effectively immortal after the contract, as long as he doesn't get himself killed.

Bullet06320
2018-03-06, 04:19 AM
There are no rules on what happens to a familiar if the master dies, the contract between the two only has stipulations for the caster. So the familiar is effectively immortal after the contract, as long as he doesn't get himself killed.

I just reread the entry on familars in the SRD, your right, im gonna start a new thread so as not to derail this one

Jack_Simth
2018-03-06, 07:55 AM
I just reread the entry on familars in the SRD, your right, im gonna start a new thread so as not to derail this one
As far as I'm aware, the only rules on familiars of dead masters comes from Tome and Blood (page 12), a 3.0 source. They're weakened significantly, but they maintain the important bits for this plan.

Interesting! So you're sure about I can use it as an oil?
Per Brew Potion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#brewPotion): "You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures."
Per the Potions and Oils (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm) header: "Magic oils are similar to potions, except that oils are applied externally rather than imbibed"

So applied externally is the only exception to being like a potion. Which, theoretically, includes the restrictions on making them, as well as how to make them. So you should be able to do so.

Also, how about a summoned creature instead of a familiar? Summon an extended scorpion for example, and have the scorpion apply the oil to the corpse?
You'd want something with hands that you can talk to. A Celestial Monkey from Summon Monster I has Int-3 (from the template) and hands (from the monkey). Depending on your DM, you may need to learn Celestial, but by RAW they understand Common.

I was mostly going with the familiar because anyone who hasn't traded it away has that option.

magicalmagicman
2018-03-19, 09:06 PM
Would these work?

Cast Persuade to Manifest and have the familiar hold the charge.
Commit Suicide
Have the Familiar touch you.

First cast Persuade to manifest and hold the charge.
Die instantly somehow while lying down with your hand in the air above you.
Hand falls on top of you and touches you.

Can't use the oil method because of lack of feats because I can't grab brew potion unless it is obtained as an ACF of some kind.