PDA

View Full Version : Paladin first ASI/feat

emduck
2018-03-05, 06:05 PM
I'm playing a dwarf paladin (stats are 16/10/16/10/10/14) using great weapon fighting and with Oath of the Ancients. I usually use a maul, but we just got a +1 longsword no one else in the group wanted, so I sort of alternate depending on how hard to hit stuff is.

In the long term I'd say the most likely case is that I just go straight paladin for as long as we keep playing. There's a small chance I might pick up a few levels of sorcerer if the stars align, but the overall concept is really just paladin, and if I end up multiclassing, it will just be so I can get better at that, not to open up new roles.

Out of combat, I'm sort of the backup face. The warlock and I good-cop-bad-cop it a bit, but my role there isn't really critical, and my DM's doesn't really let that extra +/-1 kill you on persuasion if you make a good point in the role playing.

We're close to level 4, and I'm wondering if I should push strength to 18, charisma to 16, or take great weapon master. (Or something else I haven't thought of?)

Xihirli
2018-03-05, 06:09 PM
Well, in regards to Great Weapon Master, how often do you find yourself having advantage to attack? How often do you find that you haven't used a bonus action on your turn?

Angelalex242
2018-03-05, 06:23 PM
Take Sentinel unless you have a compelling reason not to.

emduck
2018-03-05, 06:50 PM
Well, in regards to Great Weapon Master, how often do you find yourself having advantage to attack? How often do you find that you haven't used a bonus action on your turn?

I don't have advantage often. I do frequently have Bless from our cleric, which helps a bit with hitting things. I rarely have anything to do with my bonus action--all I've really got are the bonus action spells, and they compete with smiting for my 3 spell slots.

LordNibbler
2018-03-05, 06:52 PM
I would say strength 18 at level 4 and charisma 16 at level 8. I think the pluses to saving throws that come at 6th level are game-changing and should be boosted early.

Xihirli
2018-03-05, 08:19 PM
I don't have advantage often. I do frequently have Bless from our cleric, which helps a bit with hitting things. I rarely have anything to do with my bonus action--all I've really got are the bonus action spells, and they compete with smiting for my 3 spell slots.

Hmm. Great Weapon Master could dramatically improve your damage output in that case, though DPR might not necessarily be your job.
Strength bonuses are never a bad idea though.

Pex
2018-03-05, 08:51 PM
In your game does great weapon style work with smite damage dice? If yes, you don't need Great Weapon Master. You do enough damage. If no, I still recommend against taking that feat. As an Ancients Paladin you don't have a reliable means to offset the -5 to hit. Bless is something but limited and requires Concentration. If the party cleric regularly Blesses you then it is worth considering. You want to be smiting against the BBEGs of the fight. They tend to have the best AC. You want to hit. ST to 18 I think is your best bet. Charisma 16 is good enough until 8th level.

Xihirli
2018-03-05, 09:00 PM
Charisma is the 14. Con is the 16.

OldTrees1
2018-03-05, 10:08 PM
+2 Charisma. Aura of Protection is amazing and you are almost at 6th level. Your 16 Strength is more than enough.

djreynolds
2018-03-05, 10:21 PM
+2 Charisma. Aura of Protection is amazing and you are almost at 6th level. Your 16 Strength is more than enough.

I agree, that aura of protection isn't just for you. 10ft radius.

Also you spell dc and number of spell prepared goes up and your turn DC

Charisma is the safe choice here.

But the cleric's bless along with vow of enmity makes GWM look very enticing. But the reality here is... at 5th level the cleric will be spamming spirit guardians, usually.

Sentinel is nice... but remember you are probably the one getting hit most of the time

Resilient con is always nice, but level 6 is right there.

War caster is nice also and IMO is stronger at earlier levels than resilient con in terms of concentration. But you would need a good spell to spam as a reaction such as hold person... but this gives multiple saves and you or your mates may not be able to take advantage of this.

Charisma should give you the most at this point

bid
2018-03-05, 10:41 PM
We're close to level 4, and I'm wondering if I should push strength to 18, charisma to 16, or take great weapon master. (Or something else I haven't thought of?)
Cha16 by level 8 for sure since you are Ancient.

If you don't want to double-up to Cha18, I'd consider Str18 or sentinel.

Zanthy1
2018-03-06, 08:09 AM
I would boost Cha. It increases your spell save DC (which ultimately you don't seem to be using that much, but its a nice boost). Most importantly though, that aura of protection is one of my favorite abilities in the game, and many will agree that it is one of the most top tier abilities overall as well.

Oramac
2018-03-06, 08:41 AM
It's too bad you have an even number in your Con. Personally, I think Resilient (Con) is almost a requirement for paladins.

That said, given your stats and playstyle, I'd flip a coin between bumping Str or Cha. And whichever you don't bump at 4th, you bump at 8th level.

Zanthy1
2018-03-06, 08:44 AM
It's too bad you have an even number in your Con. Personally, I think Resilient (Con) is almost a requirement for paladins.

That said, given your stats and playstyle, I'd flip a coin between bumping Str or Cha. And whichever you don't bump at 4th, you bump at 8th level.

Why would you say Resilient (Con) is a requirement? That feat is most utilized for helping to maintain concentration, and though many paladin spells do require concentration, many paladins focus more on divine smite and non-concentration spells. I feel like your statement only applies to about half the paladins out there

Arkhios
2018-03-06, 09:51 AM
Why would you say Resilient (Con) is a requirement? That feat is most utilized for helping to maintain concentration, and though many paladin spells do require concentration, many paladins focus more on divine smite and non-concentration spells. I feel like your statement only applies to about half the paladins out there

I have to agree on that. Decently high AC also helps prevent the need to make Concentration checks so often, even though there are those damaging effects which target your saves instead of AC. Come 7th level, and you'll be pretty much protected from about half of those as well, thanks to Aura of Warding, and Aura of Protection helps a lot in that regard, too.

I would say, improve you Charisma at 4th level. 16 in your primary (and secondary) ability scores are quite enough for a long time.

sithlordnergal
2018-03-06, 11:28 AM
Improve your charisma, forego Great Weapon Master, and pick up a shield. Your damage dice will drop to a d8 if you use the +1 longsword, but trust me, as a Paladin you don't need to worry too much about that. You and your party will be grateful for the +3, and eventually +4 to all saves. Even more so when you automatically cut the damage of things like Fireball in half, making it even more advantageous to stand clustered up for once while fighting a wizard.