PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for magical items and accessories?

Fiery Diamond
2018-03-06, 03:41 AM
I wasn't sure whether I should put this in friendly banter, media discussions, or here, since this is actually for a story I'm writing, but I figured I'd probably get more response from this part of the forums.

So I'm writing a story in which the main character is transported to a fantasy world that functions off of game-like rules: it has levels, experience points, skills (with skill levels), an adventurers' guild and a mages' guild, and so on. I'm trying to think of ideas for magical items that can be a) purchased in stores, b) found as loot in a magical dungeon, or c) personally crafted by characters. Effects can be minor or major. I'm using the D&D/Pathfinder SRD (because it's the only TTRPG I've ever played, not because it's inherently more like what I want) to hunt for ideas, but I'm really more into the unique and creative ideas like the playground tends to come up with. Since this isn't for an actual game, there's not need to worry about system. In fact, the less reliant on a particular system, the better.

Items can be...
-weapons
-armor
-clothing
-jewelry
-other accessories
-tools of any kind
-everyday objects with magical powers
-books, scrolls, etc.
-wands, rods, staffs, etc.
-anything else you can think of, actually

Feel free to make an items effects as non-game-like (such as you might find in a regular fantasy novel) or as game-like (such as you might find in an actual RPG) as you like. After all, more people than just me can take advantage of whatever gets posted here!

Here are a few contributions of my own from the story so far.

Athena: A lower-tier magical arming sword personally crafted for the main character by a town smith. Made using a steel and Saphirine (blue magical ore that resembles copper sulfate/chalcanthite) alloy, this medium blue blade is thinner and lighter than a pure steel sword of the same type. When drawn, it glows with a soft blue light. Not only does it enhance any magic used that focuses on the sword (such as wreathing it in flames or sending out wind blades along its cuts) but it also acts of its own volition to protect its bearer, creating elemental barriers or moving to intercept attacks on its own. It is also far sharper than a non-magical sword, strong enough to cut through unenchanted armor with ease.

Mana-shaping hairpin: A copper hairpin bought from a magic accessory shop. It makes casting magic easier, cutting down on the casting time of complex spells and heightening the effects of low-tier ones.

Storage Ring: A violet-colored metal ring that connects to an extradimensional space 10ft by 10ft by 10ft. By tapping the ring and saying "open storage," a magical field opens up, projecting the extradimensional space overlapping with normal space. Everything currently stored is translucent and intangible. By touching a non-stored object to the ring and saying "store item," the item transfers to the extradimensional space; by touching the ring to a stored item and saying "retrieve item," the item transfers to the nearest open spot in normal space.

JeenLeen
2018-03-06, 01:31 PM
I think it best to think of magic items in two ways
1) what works to be internally consistent with the setting you want for your story
2) what works with the drama/tension for the main character and overcoming problems
and, based on the specifics of your story,
3) how entertaining is it for the reader to learn about the setting and magic through the protagonist also learning it

I don't have a lot of actual advice, but I recommend trying to find some of Brandon Sanderson's essays on writing magic systems (namely, making it entertaining while still maintaining tension). Also, reading the webcomic Erfworld could be useful for storytelling concepts about a 'hero' transported from our world to a gaming-esque one.

Kaptin Keen
2018-03-06, 01:40 PM
I think it best to think of magic items in two ways
1) what works to be internally consistent with the setting you want for your story
2) what works with the drama/tension for the main character and overcoming problems
and, based on the specifics of your story,
3) how entertaining is it for the reader to learn about the setting and magic through the protagonist also learning it

.. that's three ways?! oO

I like tribal stuff. Feathers and birdskulls and sea shells and unpolished gems and dream catchers and furs and hides and bushy tails and claws and fangs and .... well you get the overall idea. Imbued, of course, with a primal sort of magic - granting strength or quickness or rage or the ability to shapeshift.

A more darkly tinged version of the same exacts a price when used - blood magic of some sort.

Draconi Redfir
2018-03-06, 02:38 PM
A weapon with the Redundancy Enahntment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373022-1-greatsword-of-Redundancy-(Weapon-enchantment)(silly)) for when you want to lightly screw them over:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Mastikator
2018-03-07, 02:20 PM
Actually magic 8 ball: You ask it a question and it magically divines a correct answer. (it can only answer yes or not questions, and only once per day)

Red Fel
2018-03-07, 02:38 PM
Magic lenses/glasses/monocles are underrated and crazy useful. Goggles of magic reading, to decipher magical texts. Glasses of study, to allow you perfect recall of anything you read or see. Monocle of peeking, that lets you see through things.

Also useful? Storage. Scabbard that sharpens and cleans your sword. Quiver that always has arrows, or always lets you grab that one arrow for which you're looking. Pouches that are bigger on the inside. Vials that widen at the top to better enable you to fill them. In a world full of magic, it makes sense that people would design quality-of-life things like this.

Speaking of quality of life, what about luxury items? Tabards that automatically display your appropriate heraldry. Formal wear that resists stains, or can be adjusted to the particular formal setting (including adjustments for color and season). Jewelry that can be rendered invisible on command, to make you less tempting to thieves.

And remember, someone operating in this world has probably thought, "But how can I use that?" Don't be afraid to apply these in unusual places. For example, take a highly coveted magic ring and add the "invisible on command" treatment to it. Give a sinister assassin a customized suit of that adjustable formal wear. Have someone come up with a cursed version of those vials that eats fingers or something.

Moving on, let's consider tools of the trade. I don't just mean literal tools. Rather, a person who does X is likely to have A, B, and C on his person at any given time - so why not enable A, B, and C to help him? For instance, a thief is likely to carry a dagger or other small blade. So why not create, say, a stiletto or similar blade with a magic enhancement that causes the blade to warp into a key-shape when inserted into a lock? Or gloves that enable the wearer to "hear" the tumblers in a lock, while still avoiding leaving prints?

Come on, let's get practical here! Wouldn't it be nice to have a tower shield you could see through one-way? Or a frying pan that generates its own heat? Or a book that automatically opens to a page or passage you designate? (Hello, CTRL-F!) And again, remember that someone can find ways to adapt or weaponize any of these concepts.

Âmesang
2018-03-07, 03:21 PM
5e's version of wands honestly makes me want to put this into a game:

https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/dnd/1e%20backscratcher.png

Fiery Diamond
2018-03-07, 09:44 PM
Magic lenses/glasses/monocles are underrated and crazy useful. Goggles of magic reading, to decipher magical texts. Glasses of study, to allow you perfect recall of anything you read or see. Monocle of peeking, that lets you see through things.

Also useful? Storage. Scabbard that sharpens and cleans your sword. Quiver that always has arrows, or always lets you grab that one arrow for which you're looking. Pouches that are bigger on the inside. Vials that widen at the top to better enable you to fill them. In a world full of magic, it makes sense that people would design quality-of-life things like this.

Speaking of quality of life, what about luxury items? Tabards that automatically display your appropriate heraldry. Formal wear that resists stains, or can be adjusted to the particular formal setting (including adjustments for color and season). Jewelry that can be rendered invisible on command, to make you less tempting to thieves.

And remember, someone operating in this world has probably thought, "But how can I use that?" Don't be afraid to apply these in unusual places. For example, take a highly coveted magic ring and add the "invisible on command" treatment to it. Give a sinister assassin a customized suit of that adjustable formal wear. Have someone come up with a cursed version of those vials that eats fingers or something.

Moving on, let's consider tools of the trade. I don't just mean literal tools. Rather, a person who does X is likely to have A, B, and C on his person at any given time - so why not enable A, B, and C to help him? For instance, a thief is likely to carry a dagger or other small blade. So why not create, say, a stiletto or similar blade with a magic enhancement that causes the blade to warp into a key-shape when inserted into a lock? Or gloves that enable the wearer to "hear" the tumblers in a lock, while still avoiding leaving prints?

Come on, let's get practical here! Wouldn't it be nice to have a tower shield you could see through one-way? Or a frying pan that generates its own heat? Or a book that automatically opens to a page or passage you designate? (Hello, CTRL-F!) And again, remember that someone can find ways to adapt or weaponize any of these concepts.

Those are some really great ideas! See, this is why I came to the forum for help; awesome people like you with helpful and creative ideas.