PDA

View Full Version : Half-Orc Barbarian question (Relentless Rage vs. Relentless Endurance)

BBQ Pork
2018-03-06, 07:50 AM
(Preface: I did not use the RAW thread because there may be opinions and homebrew solutions.)

A player of mine is wanting to run a half-orc Barbarian. I see a minor problem and am curious what you folks think.

At L1 (Race Feature) :

Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

AT L11 (Class feature) :

Relentless Rage
Starting at 11th level, your rage can keep you fighting despite grievous wounds. If you drop to 0 hit points while you’re raging and don’t die outright, you can make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you drop to 1 hit point instead. Each time you use this feature after the first, the DC increases by 5. When you finish a short or long rest, the DC resets to 10.

Either:
A) You essentially get to use the same ability twice per day at L11. (Use one ability, get healed, use it again, take a long rest, repeat)
-or-
B) I substitute a different ability for the L11 ability. If so, what?

Opinions?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-03-06, 07:59 AM
I'd assume that since both list the effect as "you can" they would be optional and you'd get to choose which one in the cases that they both apply.

-Get knocked out while not raging, Relentless Endurance only
-Get knocked out while raging, Choose 1 that applies

JC also has a ruling on this (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/930973877198405632) to support that line of thinking.

You can also fail Relentless Rage and instead opt to use Relentless Endurance after because you still fill the criteria of "dropping to zero hitpoints and not being outright killed"

BBQ Pork
2018-03-06, 08:12 AM
Seems like they are stackable, depending on the situation.
RE being a safety net for when RR either fails or does not apply makes sense.

Thank you.

N810
2018-03-06, 09:02 AM
By design, all the half-ork abilities stack with Barbarian. :thog: