PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New Druidic Initiate feats (Eberron)

InterstellarPro
2018-03-06, 10:31 AM
I was thinking about possible druidic traditions of Xen'Drik. I was thinking about adding some sects. Among the drow, a sect devoted to the Promise of Fire/Fernia (with an Initiate feat allowing entry into the Planar Shepherd prestige class, replacing either Gatekeeper or Nightbringer). Similarly for giants who completely embraced Dal Quor (could also work as a druidic sect in Sarlona) and long for a way to make the planes coterminous again.

Spells relating to Fernia are easy enough.

1st Burning Hands (SRD)
2nd Aganazzar's Scorcher (FR)
3rd Fireball (SRD)
4th Orb of Fire (SpC)
5th Mass Fire Shield (SpC)
6th Fire Spiders (SpC)
7th Scalding Touch (MoE)
8th Incendiary Cloud (SRD)
9th Meteor Swarm (SRD)

And I can add fire resistance that increases as the character gain more power.

I also have a fairly easy time coming up with spells for other planes, like Daanvi, Kythri, Syrania, etc. But, Dal Quor has me a bit perplexed.

1st ???
2nd ???
3rd ???
4th ???
5th Dream (SRD)
6th Dream Casting (SpC)
7th Dream Sight (SpC)
8th Dream Image (Bastion of Broken Souls 3.0 adventure)
9th ???

And what special ability might the character gain?

Nifft
2018-03-06, 10:40 AM
For Fernia, my suggestion would be to avoid FR-specific spells. There are some core fire-relate spells which would be appropriate even if they don't deal direct Fire damage. For example:
2: Pyrotechnics

In terms of Dal Quor, you could go with "sleep" as part of the central theme:
1: Sleep
2: Daze Monster
3: Deep Slumber
4: Confusion
9: Astral Projection

... or you could go with Telepathy / Illusions instead. There's also stuff like Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm) which turns the character into a kinda-Psion for a little while.

InterstellarPro
2018-03-06, 10:50 AM
For Fernia, my suggestion would be to avoid FR-specific spells. There are some core fire-relate spells which would be appropriate even if they don't deal direct Fire damage. For example:
2: Pyrotechnics

In terms of Dal Quor, you could go with "sleep" as part of the central theme:
1: Sleep
2: Daze Monster
3: Deep Slumber
4: Confusion
9: Astral Projection

... or you could go with Telepathy / Illusions instead. There's also stuff like Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm) which turns the character into a kinda-Psion for a little while.

Ooh! Great suggestions!
And for 5th level, maybe I offer the choice. Dream for neutral or good-aligned druids and nightmare for evil-aligned druids.

What sort of abilities might the feat grant? Probably Knowledge: Planes, Knowledge: Psionics, and Psicraft as class skills. Maybe a multiclass psionic character can share powers as well as spells with her animal companion? It is an ability that is nothing to really write home about, but adds some nice flavor to the mix, right?

Falontani
2018-03-06, 01:47 PM
another possibility would be to take some psionic powers and give the druid of dal quor some spell versions of the powers, to make them more unique that all other regular spellcasters

Nifft
2018-03-06, 05:13 PM
Ooh! Great suggestions! Thanks!

And for 5th level, maybe I offer the choice. Dream for neutral or good-aligned druids and nightmare for evil-aligned druids. Cool.

What sort of abilities might the feat grant? Probably Knowledge: Planes, Knowledge: Psionics, and Psicraft as class skills. Maybe a multiclass psionic character can share powers as well as spells with her animal companion? It is an ability that is nothing to really write home about, but adds some nice flavor to the mix, right? I'm not sure how useful the spells are going to be -- some are rather campaign-dependent, like I could imagine playing a game which never used dream or where a lot of antagonists were immune to sleep.

If the spells are weak, then consider giving a strong skill like Autohypnosis.

If the spells are strong, then yeah give mostly-useless skills like Psicraft.

Kn: Planes is a solid choice either way -- it's not that strong, but it's quite useful, especially when dealing with Sarlona's environment.

InterstellarPro
2018-03-06, 06:30 PM
Thanks!
Cool.

I'm not sure how useful the spells are going to be -- some are rather campaign-dependent, like I could imagine playing a game which never used dream or where a lot of antagonists were immune to sleep.

If the spells are weak, then consider giving a strong skill like Autohypnosis.

If the spells are strong, then yeah give mostly-useless skills like Psicraft.

Kn: Planes is a solid choice either way -- it's not that strong, but it's quite useful, especially when dealing with Sarlona's environment.

Given that Dal Quor automatically extends illusion spells, maybe that is a better choice.

another possibility would be to take some psionic powers and give the druid of dal quor some spell versions of the powers, to make them more unique that all other regular spellcasters

That is an interesting choice, but it is much easier to go from spell to power than from power to spell. Powers that are augmentable are especially troublesome.

Falontani
2018-03-06, 06:43 PM
That is an interesting choice, but it is much easier to go from spell to power than from power to spell. Powers that are augmentable are especially troublesome.

If I decided to convert powers to spells I would take a page out of 5th editions book, allow you to cast the spells as higher level spells to augment them.
Inertial Armor
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic
warrior 1
Display: Visual; see text
Manifesting Time: 1 standard
action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Power Points: 1; see text
Your mind generates a tangible field of force that provides a +4 armor bonus to Armor Class. Unlike mundane armor, inertial armor entails no armor check penalty or speed reduction. Because inertial armor is composed of psychokinetic force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.
Your inertial armor can be invisible or can appear as a colored glow, at your option. The armor bonus provided by inertial armor does not stack with the armor bonus provided by regular armor.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, the armor bonus to Armor Class increases by 1. So an Intertial Armor Spell would be (basically mage armor) as a first level spell, if cast from a second level spell slot it's AC bonus would increase to +5, and so on up until 9th level spell slots allowing you to cast it for +13 AC. And even further with epic magic later. This follows the same potency as a psion using it as they could not boost it to +13 AC until level 17 (the same level as your druid would have to be) and then at 19 a psion could increase it to +14 whereas the druid would be unable to until epic spell slots.

TheBrassDuke
2018-03-17, 04:29 AM
Lords of Madness, I think, offers Oneiromancy—you’ll find some really neat Dream-related spells within that area.

Nifft
2018-03-17, 07:32 AM
Lords of Madness, I think, offers Oneiromancy—you’ll find some really neat Dream-related spells within that area.

Heroes of Horror, and it's like three feats for a few spells, and the spells are poor.

TheBrassDuke
2018-03-17, 06:49 PM
Eh. I enjoy them and the feats. :P they make interesting oracles.

Nifft
2018-03-17, 07:01 PM
Eh. I enjoy them and the feats. :P they make interesting oracles.

I like the effects & some of the spells, but paying three feats... ugh.

There's just never room for them in a low-level game, which is where I tend to play horror-themed games.

TheBrassDuke
2018-03-18, 09:26 PM
Fun for NPCs though. I have this creepy little girl named Pocket, who has a menagerie of dream beasts stuck in a pocket dimension she maintains, and she utilizes Oneiromancy and summing rather often.

InterstellarPro
2018-03-19, 08:25 AM

Heroes of Horror, and it's like three feats for a few spells, and the spells are poor.

Awesome, I'll check it out! Thanks!