PDA

View Full Version : Multi-classing into the UA Artificer class...

samcifer
2018-03-06, 11:05 AM
So we're doing a one-shot and I had the idea of making a lv. 7 cowboy who got lost in time and space and joins our group of other pcs.

As the DM isn't flexible on alternate weapons and I wanted to have a gun, I figured on starting off with a level of fighter for better saving throws (Artie gets INT + CON, simple weapons and lt. and med. armors, while fighter gets STR + CON as well as full access to all weapons and armors), then take a level of Artificer and go gunsmith to gain access to guns, then back to fighter, aiming for Eldritch Knight for spellcasting.

For MC-ing into Artificer, what would I use to qualify for mc-ing into it? I was thinking 13+ INT would be the only stat needed, but want some feedback on this. The idea is a ranged gunman who can attack multiple times per turn using Multi-attack while having some utility spell options and a few AOE spells to spread out damage when necessary.

FelineArchmage
2018-03-06, 11:23 AM
The MC-ing rules in the PHB usually have a minimum ability score (or two) that needs to be met in order to MC. I don't have the book/access to UA at the moment so I can't suggest details, but I would say that having the appropriate INT modifier would be enough to qualify, as INT is the artificer's main stat.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-06, 11:24 AM
So, just a few things to keep in mind here:

1) The Thunder Cannon, by RAW, requires a bonus action to reload. This means that combining it with Extra Attack is going to be wonky and up to DM discretion if you can get two attacks off with it. Attack -> Bonus Action Reload -> Attack. But the second round you are starting with an unloaded gun that will require your bonus action to reload, and then you can only get off one shot.

2) Most of the rest of the Gunsmith special abilities (Thunder Monger, Blast Wave, Piercing Round, and Explosive Round (not relevant per se since you can't get Extra Attack and that)) all require an Action, not an Attack. So they won't work with Extra Attack either.

I would say you'd just need Int for multi-classing into or out of Artificer.

NomGarret
2018-03-06, 01:18 PM
Note that the AoE don’t start coming online until level 9, so for a 7th level one shot they’re out of reach. You could go Fighter 5/Artificer 2, but I’d probably go Artificer 5/Fighter 2 and rely a little more on the thunder cannon boosts. Int makes sense for a multi class requirement. If there was a second stat it would probably be Dex, which I’m guessing your gunslinger can swing.

Smaje
2018-03-07, 11:40 AM
fighter 1 / Artificer 4 / war wizard 2

The stats work together with high in

1 for fighter
- str con saves
- archery fighting style
- second wind

4 gunsmith artificer
- item analysis, tool expertise
- 1 wonderous items
- thunder cannon with magazine and thunder monger
- ASI
- 4 art spells

2 war wizard (xanthars)
- arcane recovery
- arcane deflection (super save)
- tactical wit (extra bonus action)
- 3 cantrips, int+2 wizard spells

Pro

- A +2hit ranged attacker with an awesome gun and lots of magical supplements
- second wind, arcane deflection to help against squishyness
- wonderous item to start
- quick off the block (QuickDraw) because of tactical wit.

Con
- Since art is a 1/3 caster you would be lvl 3 on the multi class table.
- next ASI/extra attack won't be for a while.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-07, 12:04 PM
S1) The Thunder Cannon, by RAW, requires a bonus action to reload.
This bit here kinda kills your build, unfortunately. Could you use a refluffed crossbow instead? (Same stats, different description)

Vogie
2018-03-07, 12:59 PM
Instead of Fighter, why not a 2- or 3-level dip into Ranger?

You still get archery, but the benefits of Hunter's Mark, archery fighting style and the very flavorful Favored Enemy & Natural Explorer (as they're a cowboy already). If you do go to 3, Hunter or Planar Warrior would fit the bill, enhancing your one-shot damage, which seems important, due to the above notes.

Tangentially Related: The Creation of a Thunder Cannon takes 100 gp of metal & materials over 3 days. Forge Clerics can make weapons "worth no more than 100 gp" over the course of an hour using their channel divinity.

samcifer
2018-03-07, 01:07 PM
Instead of Fighter, why not a 2- or 3-level dip into Ranger?

You still get archery, but the benefits of Hunter's Mark, archery fighting style and the very flavorful Favored Enemy & Natural Explorer (as they're a cowboy already). If you do go to 3, Hunter or Planar Warrior would fit the bill, enhancing your one-shot damage, which seems important, due to the above notes.

Tangentially Related: The Creation of a Thunder Cannon takes 100 gp of metal & materials over 3 days. Forge Clerics can make weapons "worth no more than 100 gp" over the course of an hour using their channel divinity.

DM lets us ignore components for spellcasting and item creation due to class features. Our group had an artificer who had a rifle from lv. 1

Vogie
2018-03-07, 01:27 PM
Our group had an artificer who had a rifle from lv. 1

... Yeah... Artificers have Master Smith, their first Thunder Cannon, Arcane Magazine and Magic Item Analysis as class features at level 1. It's right there on the document.

Callin
2018-03-07, 01:39 PM
Go Fighter 1/ Artficer X/ Rogue X. Makes for one hell of a Single Shot. Or instead of Fighter use Ranger for Hunters Mark.

But as for your original question. Yes Int 13+ should be the only requirement for multiclassing.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-07, 02:08 PM
Go Fighter 1/ Artficer X/ Rogue X. Makes for one hell of a Single Shot. Or instead of Fighter use Ranger for Hunters Mark.

But as for your original question. Yes Int 13+ should be the only requirement for multiclassing.
Rogue is actually kind of redundant-- with Thunder Monger, your damage will be on par with a shortbow-wielding Rogue, and the bonus-action reload makes it hard to use things like Cunning Action.

samcifer
2018-03-07, 02:24 PM
Rogue is actually kind of redundant-- with Thunder Monger, your damage will be on par with a shortbow-wielding Rogue, and the bonus-action reload makes it hard to use things like Cunning Action.

True. Ranger for Hunter's Mark would work better.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-07, 03:05 PM
True. Ranger for Hunter's Mark would work better.
It's a bit of a toss-up, I guess. You're losing 1d6 Thunder Monger damage, but gaining +2 attack and a couple castings of Hunter's Mark (plus one other spell known). Personally, I'd consider Fighter 2 instead, for Action Surge + Thunder Monger nova-rounds. Or just straight Artificer; you lose the fighting style but gain +1d6 gun damage, a spell level, and an ASI.

samcifer
2018-03-07, 03:54 PM
It's a bit of a toss-up, I guess. You're losing 1d6 Thunder Monger damage, but gaining +2 attack and a couple castings of Hunter's Mark (plus one other spell known). Personally, I'd consider Fighter 2 instead, for Action Surge + Thunder Monger nova-rounds. Or just straight Artificer; you lose the fighting style but gain +1d6 gun damage, a spell level, and an ASI.

Yeah, plus with Eldritch Knight, I can have more spells to cast. I was thinking Artificer 3 for the Thunder Monger feature that adds an extra d6 damage (3d6 per hit), then go EK for the rest for a bigger bag of spells and add Shatter, Shield, Chromatic Orb (in case we need a specific elemental damage type) and Burning Hands (in case enemies get too close or I want to hit several enemies) or Magic Missile in case I need pinpoint precision shots (like in our current campaign where I was able to blow up some handheld greek firebombs in the hands of some enemies before they got close enough to throw them, which the DM hadn't considered anyone would try to do and said I had disadvantage until I pointed out that MM auto-hits, which made him go 'damn... okay then, go ahead')

Artie spells would focus on mobility and healing and maybe Disguise Self for RP utility in social/covert encounters.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-07, 04:07 PM
Your DM seems fairly lenient, which is sometimes good, but again, by RAW (since we're pointing that out), Magic Missile says that each dart hits "a creature" of your choice. So they couldn't hit the objects that someone was carrying. ;)

samcifer
2018-03-07, 04:18 PM
Your DM seems fairly lenient, which is sometimes good, but again, by RAW (since we're pointing that out), Magic Missile says that each dart hits "a creature" of your choice. So they couldn't hit the objects that someone was carrying. ;)

It was a special situation with specially-created bombs.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-07, 05:01 PM
Yeah, plus with Eldritch Knight, I can have more spells to cast. I was thinking Artificer 3 for the Thunder Monger feature that adds an extra d6 damage (3d6 per hit), then go EK for the rest for a bigger bag of spells and add Shatter, Shield, Chromatic Orb (in case we need a specific elemental damage type) and Burning Hands (in case enemies get too close or I want to hit several enemies) or Magic Missile in case I need pinpoint precision shots (like in our current campaign where I was able to blow up some handheld greek firebombs in the hands of some enemies before they got close enough to throw them, which the DM hadn't considered anyone would try to do and said I had disadvantage until I pointed out that MM auto-hits, which made him go 'damn... okay then, go ahead')

Artie spells would focus on mobility and healing and maybe Disguise Self for RP utility in social/covert encounters.
I wouldn't super recommend that. Gunsmith is a single-big-hit class; it doesn't really play well with multiclassing, because not much is going to stack with that sort of ranged attack (particularly one that consumes your normal + bonus action). And EK isn't a great blaster, either, due to limited slots and delayed availability. If you want to pick up a touch of magic, something like War Wizard might be a better bet.

samcifer
2018-03-07, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't super recommend that. Gunsmith is a single-big-hit class; it doesn't really play well with multiclassing, because not much is going to stack with that sort of ranged attack (particularly one that consumes your normal + bonus action). And EK isn't a great blaster, either, due to limited slots and delayed availability. If you want to pick up a touch of magic, something like War Wizard might be a better bet.

Okay then. sounds good

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-07, 08:16 PM
Okay then. sounds good
Artificer 6/War Wizard 3 would give you second level spells*, a mechanical servant to carry you (preferably a flying one), a familiar to Help you, and a 4d6+Dex ranged attack. I'd say either that or Artificer 8/Wizard 1, which gets another d6 of damage (putting you just 1d6 behind the Rogue), another ASI, and second level slots* which you can fill with the excellent Artificer list or up-cast Wizard blasts like Magic Missile, Ice Knife (the only ranged AoE first level spell, and a pretty good one at that), and Thunderwave.

*You would have to address how multiclassing spell slots would work; as written, I suspect it's a Warlock-type situation where the caster levels don't stack

samcifer
2018-03-07, 09:04 PM
Artificer 6/War Wizard 3 would give you second level spells*, a mechanical servant to carry you (preferably a flying one), a familiar to Help you, and a 4d6+Dex ranged attack. I'd say either that or Artificer 8/Wizard 1, which gets another d6 of damage (putting you just 1d6 behind the Rogue), another ASI, and second level slots* which you can fill with the excellent Artificer list or up-cast Wizard blasts like Magic Missile, Ice Knife (the only ranged AoE first level spell, and a pretty good one at that), and Thunderwave.

*You would have to address how multiclassing spell slots would work; as written, I suspect it's a Warlock-type situation where the caster levels don't stack

Artificers are half-casters, so it would work similar to a paladin/sorc. Also, we'd likely be at total level 7.

Sicarius Victis
2018-03-08, 12:39 AM
Artificers are half-casters, so it would work similar to a paladin/sorc. Also, we'd likely be at total level 7.

Artificer is 1/3rd-caster, not 1/2-caster, so closer to Wizard and EK/AT. Same principle, though.